20th-21st July Weekend - Low and Cold snap

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
melja
Has thanked: 0

Re: 20th-21st July Weekend - Low and Cold snap

Unread post by melja »

gopolks wrote:
TonyT wrote: No, the McKenzie country is a heartbreking place for weather enthusiasts to live! Its not our fault that you choose to live in a place where it only snows in June.
Given the reports on here of sleety showers overnight, Gopolks, I think you owe MetService an apology. There was a very light smattering of snow down to about 300m on Mt Grey overnight and some light sleety showers here, but pretty much all gone now, just the cloud left. This whole event has gone very close to what was forecast (both by Blue Skies and MetService). It would be nice if once in a while you acknowledged that, to counter balance all the moaning and groaning you do prior to the event occurring.

Next front coming through Monday night - could be worth keeping an eye on. :)

Well if it got snow to 300 metres in some parts of canterbury, then sorry to the metservice, in my part of chch we only had rain, the port hills didnt get one flake, and I can only see a lvery light dusting on the tops of bank penisula.
Thats because your part of chch cant be 300m :lol: ](*,)
Did you go for a drive up the port hills last night when its was raining ;)
Wildland

Unread post by Wildland »

The forecasters got it right for Wellington overnight.
We've had bursts of hail clattering on the roof and against the southern windows since just after midnight.
Temperature at Tawa hovering between 4 and 6 ºC.
I hear the Desert Road was closed by snow and ice overnight.
No news on the state of the Rimutaka Road which was expected to get snow during the morning, but with the southerly in good throat it won't be a nice place for sunbathing today.

They didn't forecast the small quake just before 8 this morning - but it was a tiddler, anyway.
What's next. locusts? 8-[
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

If you actually stood out in the rain and studied the fact that it wasn't just a dolop of heavy rain then you would actually notice that it was sleet. Of course it was dark outside after all :roll: .
I dont think I would want heaps of big storms all the time here like other places in the world, we have such an incrediable environment to enjoy and marvel at that makes those sunny days just so much more special when it bounces off the snow coverd mountains or glimmers through the rich beech forests.
New Zealand is a place like no other, the topography makes the weather just so much more interesting in the formations from weather patterns or wind directions. On one side of an island you can have warm winds with dry weather and while on the other side 5-6 hours drive its wet and pouring down.
When it comes down to it all Neil Finn is right 4 seasons in one day it really does some up our country's weather and no other place in the world could ever take that like we can.
Enjoy the nice weather when it is here and enjoy those storms that only happen every so often :) .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Snowlover
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Snowlover »

Got back last night from Gold Coast at 10.40pm. Had to put more fuel on plane before we left because it could have been snowing in chch
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Up hanmer springs way over night, mates 21st. A few sleety showers and possible snow flurries. Snow settled to around 400-500m.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
tich

Unread post by tich »

the port hills didnt get one flake
A Trademe forum (from Cashmere I recall) poster reported a slight dusting on the Port Hills this morning. Nothing left as I came back to Chch late this afternoon. (a smattering still as low as Hilltop though)
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

What beautiful day really here in Christchurch i thought as much, just a few showers early morning too fine up too a nice day but cold!
Went for abit of a bike ride this afternoon and seen that BP has a good dusting.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
tich

Unread post by tich »

Desert Road looked icy on TV1 News tonight, but nothing unusual for midwinter. Snow also reported on 900m Paeroa Range, about 30km south of Rotorua.
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

tornadoman18 wrote:What beautiful day really here in Christchurch i thought as much, just a few showers early morning too fine up too a nice day but cold!
Went for abit of a bike ride this afternoon and seen that BP has a good dusting.
Yep, turned into a lovely day, bye bye North easteries, its going to be mid teens this week and sunny, so thats a positive. =D>
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Unfortunately Has been a good month or so,now to gales and boring cloud with SW
gopolks wrote:
Yep, turned into a lovely day, bye bye North easteries, its going to be mid teens this week and sunny, so thats a positive. =D>
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes a nice day indeed and it will be great to be back into those relativly mild temperatures this week.
Looks like a change tomorrow night could bring a few heavy showers or hail and snow down to around the 400m mark.
The rest of the week could be W-NW with mild temps and sunshine 8) .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

Jasestrm wrote:Yes a nice day indeed and it will be great to be back into those relativly mild temperatures this week.
Looks like a change tomorrow night could bring a few heavy showers or hail and snow down to around the 400m mark.
The rest of the week could be W-NW with mild temps and sunshine 8) .
Cheers
Jason.
I like sunny days and north westeries, so its going to be pleasant to get done what i have to get done during the week.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

gllitz wrote:[i haven't heard the rain or anything, had the tv up too loud watching the game! very

have Sky? [-X [-X [-X

I was watching free to air and checking the forums during the commercials and saw your post.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

#-o #-o
Same here :evil:
Please keep results, indications of significant sporting events or anything else to well after the direct broadcast of the event has happened. Thankyou.

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

gllitz wrote:i haven't heard the rain or anything, had the tv up too loud watching the game! very proud i am of our rugby guys!!
well done!
now its time to keep an eye on the weather ;)

Uhm, mikey...can you please avoid putting spoilers in here for those of us who don't have Sky? [-X [-X [-X

I was watching free to air and checking the forums during the commercials and saw your post.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

#-o #-o

It wasn't Gllitz who wrote that in the quotes, it was Mikey, soory . The forum only allows one quotes, so it says :?

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

#-o #-o[/quote]

Same here :evil:
Please keep results, indications of significant sporting events or anything else to well after the direct broadcast of the event has happened. Thankyou.

my opologys guys.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Next week's winning Lotto numbers are 17, 23, 04, 09, 30, 29 and 12.

In the latest book and film, Harry Potter loses his virginity. To Ron.

Oh and the next America's Cup will be won by a bunch of trustfund kiddies who have never worked a day in their life. Some suckers from an insignificant south Pacific nation will get all excited about it because they believe The Whole World Is Watching when in fact there are only around 712 people outside that nation who have even heard of the America's Cup and they are all either crewmen or boat designers.

:P
Last edited by Gary Roberts on Mon 23/07/2007 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

and i can go to Hawaii ....wishful thinking ;)
Gary Roberts wrote:Next week's winning Lotto numbers are 17, 23, 04, 09, 30, 29 and 12.

In the latest book and film, Harry Potter loses his virginity. To Ron.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Gary Roberts wrote:Next week's winning Lotto numbers are 17, 23, 04, 09, 30, 29 and 12.

:P

Good :)
I'll go and buy the ticket now. You can have $19 of the winnings and I'll shout everyone on this forum a beer or a cup of tea if they don't drink ;)

Topic now closed [-X

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS