Another Taranaki Tornado

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Razor

Another Taranaki Tornado

Unread post by Razor »

#-o

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4147521a10.html" target="_blank

BREAKING NEWS: Taranaki is on tornado alert again after a twister hit a trucking firm's yard at Brixton, about 15km north of New Plymouth about 8.30am today.

The twister, considerably smaller than the swarm that battered the province last month, tipped a truck and trailer unit on its side, tore roofing iron off and crumpled large roller doors of the company's warehouse.

Blair Duffy, the regional manager for J.D. Hickman Ltd, said the tornado came out of nowhere and just flipped the truck and trailer unit on its side,

Several callers contacted the Taranaki Daily News with sightings of the tornado as it made its way inland from the sea.

One woman said the tornado picked up what looked like a car shed and spun it high in the air.

"It was the scariest thing I've ever seen, I didn't know if I should run or try to find somewhere to hide," she said.

Taranaki, particularly the seaside town of Oakura, is still recovering from the string of tornadoes that hit the province on July 6 and 7.
Christchurch Rocks
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Another Taranaki Tornado

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

the sat image sure shows an active front moved over taranaki this morning (we only got the tail end of it up here) :shock:
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

Looking very much like Buller, Grey and Westland are going to be hit with this one off the coast,so batten down your hatches folks. :-k
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

but they are on the SW side of the low, i.e SE winds, and there is not much of a pressure gradient to the south of the low center as well (its all on the NW side (e.g taranaki)) so westland will be sheltered by the alps
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

So it could be Nelson or Marlborough hit with this low :?: :-k