Real Feel Temps / Heat Index

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
greg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Real Feel Temps / Heat Index

Unread post by greg »

I note the previous post on the Heat Index!
How does this relate to the suggested "Real Feel" Temperature scale as suggested by the Met Service. Apparently on avaerage 6 deg above the Standard read temp.
What does the MDI temp indicator relate to on Weather Display?
Greg
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I believe the heat index is derived from humidity and temperature.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what Met Service mean by their 'real feel' temperature scale.

Wind strength, UV level and humidity are all factors that would need to be built into a real feel scale.

There was a story in todays NZ herald about the extreme UV levels that are experienced over NZ. In a UV scale of 1 to 15, southern NZ UV levels are currently 10 while northern NZ is 13 or 14. "NIWA's UV index readings for North Auckland, showed that by 2.30pm levels were upto 14.3".

I think the two factors that affect the UV level are the lattitude(increases toward the equator) and transperancy of the atmosphere(pollution and cloud cover). Higher elevations tend to have higher UV because the atmosphere is thinner and more transparent.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

NZstorm wrote:Wind strength, UV level and humidity are all factors that would need to be built into a real feel scale.

I think the two factors that affect the UV level are the lattitude(increases toward the equator) and transperancy of the atmosphere(pollution and cloud cover). Higher elevations tend to have higher UV because the atmosphere is thinner and more transparent.
Solar radiation is a big factor in how warm you feel - even in winter you feel hot if you have direct sunlight on your skin.

As for UV, a third key factor is Ozone concentration in the upper atmosphere.
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

teh MDI in weather display is the modified discomfort factor....
the LED colour changes

apparent temperatuer solar is a good indicator
mine is 29.5oC at the moment, but its only 23oC air temperature :)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]