How long winter will go

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How long winter will go

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

if you live in a hollow/valley and are away from the sea, then yup, you will get a frost alright
Bryndweryn, up in southern Northland, gets -1.0 frosts too :)
(its in a hollow )
Waiuku is in a hollow and it gets down to -1.5oC frosts (air temperature) at times ;)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
tich

Unread post by tich »

Winter comes and goes as it pleases down here in Canterbury - we might get a long mild spell in late winter with west or northwesterly flow, and then a sudden icy blast. (like in September 2005)
David

Unread post by David »

But I don't live in a hollow or valley, and am 2km away from eastern beach. This is why I am puzzled. Howick is not too hilly either and so I also don't know why we have more rain here. #-o

I'm sure its not my rain gauge accuracy, the eastern beach weather station has recorded 847mm (870mm here)
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

thats actualy a close enough reading
its surprising how much rainfall varies

if the surrounding area is flatish, not too hilly, then you will also get frosts easy enough
also because you are a fair way inland from the SW coastal winds, its that wind drop off at night that allows the escape of radiated heat to space and so a frost at the surface
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
David

Unread post by David »

Yes I have noticed on days with a SW or W breeze that often it does drop away. There are many times when it has been 6C here in the morning with no wind and about 10C with a moderate breeze at your station.

However when there is weather approaching from the east or northeast the wind drops off at other locations and remains here - one morning this winter it was 10C here with an E breeze, and it was 4C at the airport and 2C at Waiuku. 8C difference :shock:
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

The wind has really got up here but at least its quite sunny though 13°
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Another factor governing frost distribution in Auckland is the urban heat Island which is more significant now than it used to be. Its strongest over the central city area.
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

Some interesting stats here, all ways knew that Auckland was a wet locality 870mm of rain so far compared to Dunedins 390mm.
As for Australia well my daughter is currently in Townsville for a few months definitely warm there with temps ranging between 17-29deg most
days but the South of the country is definitely cool. Seems like the Dunedin winter been longish and cold but not too severe a warmer clime does hold some attraction
after 4 and half decades.
Berkshire North of Te Anau west of Hokitika.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

When I was living in Dunedin & Invercargill I was young enough to be indifferent to the cold (not exactly in the tropics now, but it's warmer than those places). What did not impress me was that they were the 2 least sunny of the significant towns. Had an enjoyable time in Dunedin as a student and (for a short time) on univ. staff however.
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

RWood wrote:When I was living in Dunedin & Invercargill I was young enough to be indifferent to the cold (not exactly in the tropics now, but it's warmer than those places). What did not impress me was that they were the 2 least sunny of the significant towns. Had an enjoyable time in Dunedin as a student and (for a short time) on univ. staff however.
Hit the nail on the head...thats the one comment heard frequently is how the grey weather gets to people...living in Macandrew bay which is one of the sunnier of Dunedins suburbs doesnt really help too much. I must admit to being very aware of the cold this year.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

all ways knew that Auckland was a wet locality 870mm of rain so far compared to Dunedins 390mm.
Dewpoints are higher in Auckland so when it rains the rain is heavier than Dunedin rain. Would be interesting to campare the number of rain days between Ak and Dunedin but a rain day can also be a good day. We get a lot of afternoon heat/convergence showers here through the warmer months during fine weather.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Musselborough averages 120 wet days (1.0mm+) while Auckland averages 130 such days.(historical met service figures). Aucklands reputation as a rainy place is possibly well earned but we have a west coast climate after all.
Andrew Massie

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

David wrote:
ps new to the forum
Welcome aboard!

Beautiful day here today (Chch), frosty initially, but I certainly feel springy!
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Janos wrote: When I was living in Dunedin & Invercargill I was young enough to be indifferent to the cold (not exactly in the tropics now, but it's warmer than those places). What did not impress me was that they were the 2 least sunny of the significant towns. Had an enjoyable time in Dunedin as a student and (for a short time) on univ. staff however.

Hit the nail on the head...thats the one comment heard frequently is how the grey weather gets to people...living in Macandrew bay which is one of the sunnier of Dunedins suburbs doesnt really help too much. I must admit to being very aware of the cold this year.
I think resilience against the cold tends to reduce with age... ;)

It can be noted that in the last few years Dunedin (& to a lesser extent Invercargill) has recorded significantly more sunshine than formerly, or at least compared with years before the mid-90s (gap in records between 1997 & 2002)
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

RWood wrote:I think resilience against the cold tends to reduce with age... ;)
Yep, many of the older folk around here used to go elsewhere during winter. Not so much recently because we barely get winters now. ;)
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

Gary Roberts wrote:
RWood wrote:I think resilience against the cold tends to reduce with age... ;)
Yep, many of the older folk around here used to go elsewhere during winter. Not so much recently because we barely get winters now. ;)
I guess Omarama does get some pretty lame winters....you never no it may soon be like the Noosa of the South (a retirement village).
Andrew Massie

Janos wrote:I guess Omarama does get some pretty lame winters....you never no it may soon be like the Noosa of the South (a retirement village).
Hahaha! Good news for Gary! Plenty of rich old biddies to prey on!

Actually, isn't that what Alexandra is? Although they get pretty hell winters, don't they?

Lovely here in Chch today.. Loving seeing that big ball of Hydrogen gracing our skies... \:D/
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Actually, isn't that what Alexandra is? Although they get pretty hell winters, don't they?
Yep they all go to Gold Coast or Sunshaine Coast for 6 weeks. =D>
Andrew Massie

Andy wrote:Yep they all go to Gold Coast or Sunshaine Coast for 6 weeks. =D>
Geez, no wonder all Ambulance officers in Australia are fully paid (no volunteers)! With an influx like that, and the excitement for the biddies... lethal combination! :lol:
southernthrash

Unread post by southernthrash »

RWood wrote:When I was living in Dunedin & Invercargill I was young enough to be indifferent to the cold (not exactly in the tropics now, but it's warmer than those places). What did not impress me was that they were the 2 least sunny of the significant towns. Had an enjoyable time in Dunedin as a student and (for a short time) on univ. staff however.
Invercargill's weather is far and away more exciting than Dunedin, in fact over the last couple of years I've been finding the weather in Dunedin remarkably boring, love getting home to a real sou'wester.

And gary if we guaged seasons subjectively based on temperature winter would almost never occur on Coronet Peak ;)
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

I have been pondering this question for a few days now and have come to the conclusion that only nature knows when spring is here. In the spring, the air temperatures may be warm for a few days, but this will have little effect on the soil temperature. Only when the days and nights both stay warm for an extended period of time will the soil temperature start to rise. Generally the optimal daytime soil temperature for maximum plant seed germination and production in the shortest time is 20ºC- 25ºC. When the sun warms the soil outdoors to the proper level, seeds will germinate. But it is soil temperature that invites the seeds to germinate, not air temperature. Because of constant moisture loss to the atmosphere, the soil temperature is always cooler than the air temperature. Remember that evaporation cools the media holding the moisture. Therefore I lay my argument that spring starts at different times at different places. Unfortunately I can’t explain reasonably when spring begins in places where the soil temperature is always 68ºF- 77ºF. :? And then there are the trees and budburst? :-k
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Well said 8)
Andrew Massie

Yeah, karsh, can't argue with that!
Manukau heads obs