Cold end to week and Next Week.

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Lawrence

Cold end to week and Next Week.

Unread post by Lawrence »

Just looking ahead..... as you do,I'm seeing cold,foggy or misty conditions this weekend, and possible cold southerly blast about mid week with the highly amplified Jet stream.My thinking is possibly this amplification gave the snowfall in Buenos Aires :-k This may be moving over us,giving snow showers to the south and east of the south,depending on other factors.I know it's a bit far out but could this be our last chance saloon for a winter wonderland. :-k :?:
spwill

Re: Cold end to week and Next Week.

Unread post by spwill »

Perhaps some brief snow to low levels for the Catlins and Southland next week.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Karshvardidgâh wrote:Just looking ahead..... as you do,I'm seeing cold,foggy or misty conditions this weekend, and possible cold southerly blast about mid week with the highly amplified Jet stream.My thinking is possibly this amplification gave the snowfall in Buenos Aires :-k This may be moving over us,giving snow showers to the south and east of the south,depending on other factors.I know it's a bit far out but could this be our last chance saloon for a winter wonderland. :-k :?:
Now Now lets not make this thread into a huge thing untill it happens ;) I haven't actually looked at the models recently really so i wouldn't no to much, might but might not thats my saying haha
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Lawrence

tornadoman18 wrote: Now Now lets not make this thread into a huge thing untill it happens ;) I haven't actually looked at the models recently really so i wouldn't no to much, might but might not thats my saying haha
Yes ,your right tornadoman18,lets not build it up,and it is quite far off.Proberly miss us anyway,can't wait for spring too,I hate this boring drizzle/low stuff. :(
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Absolutely not. It's never going to snow ever again. I'm predicting 30° temperatures and blue skies. Have that suntan lotion ready, boys!
mikestormchaser

Yeah Gary aye! not just have the suntain lotion ready for me but to put on the girls on a hot summers day at the beach ;) mmm i could turn that into a business :P
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
southernthrash

Unread post by southernthrash »

Yeah, snow to low-ish levels tuesday/wednesday in the South of the South Island, not looking like a huge amount at this stage though. maybe not quite as much wind this time either. Anything can happen between now and then though.
Lawrence

Nice and sunny day here,temprature not too bad 9.3c,baro steady at 1014mb,wind North Easterly with a light breeze from East,South East at times. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes a lovely, dandy day it is here, after a frost :)
I can see those clouds from here :)
Light Ne here. Grand day to do things like spraying friut=trees 8-[

Might drizzle this evening according to the forecast?

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Just returned from Frankton airport. A low layer of cloud was preventing landings for a while, with some aircraft turned back, but a warm morning improved as the cloud cleared and the sun broke through. A lovely day in Central and same to the north in the Mackenzie.
mikestormchaser

Yeah great day today! i see sum nice cu this morning coming in from the S i think, didn't eventuate into much though but good signs for things to come i reckon 8)
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

tornadoman18 wrote:Yeah great day today! i see sum nice cu this morning coming in from the S i think, didn't eventuate into much though but good signs for things to come i reckon 8)

Don't think so :(
The weather is so boring here in Canterbury NZ :( ,( thats global warming for you :( )
You have to live in somewhere like the top half of the North Island for interesting weather as far as storm chasers, weather enthusiasts go, these days :evil:

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Few spots of rain falling here at the moment as a result of dissapated CU which went up in a line this afternoon.
I dont think we will see a repeat for storm season like 2005,2006 surly it cant happen for another year which i dont believe it will :) .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

some light rain falling here this evening but only a trace in the rain-guage so far.
Future out look for the on coming week looks a tad boring too - Yawn :|

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

I predict two weeks of temperatures in the mid to high twenties where I am from Thursday.

But it will of course be Rarotonga, not ChCh. :twisted:

Anyone know a good Cook Islands weather site? I'm also going to Atiu
Christchurch Rocks
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Anyone know a good Cook Islands weather site?
Try here: http://www.met.gov.fj/index.php?id=49
tich

Unread post by tich »

Now looks (at least according to MetService) to be a colder outbreak than first thought - snow forecast to near sea-level in the far south and 300m on Banks Peninsula on Wednesday. But being a southwesterly rather than southerly, we may not get much here in Chch.
southernthrash

Unread post by southernthrash »

tich wrote:Now looks (at least according to MetService) to be a colder outbreak than first thought - snow forecast to near sea-level in the far south and 300m on Banks Peninsula on Wednesday. But being a southwesterly rather than southerly, we may not get much here in Chch.
Yeap definately some potential in the far south, fiordland and the southern lakes, not looking like too much moisture at this stage. Temps should definitely be down though. First time in a while that I've noticed agreement (or thereabouts) between metservice and COLA this winter.
Storm Struck

Nice day today with some scatterd cumulus about this morning still great to see the sun.
I swear its got lighter by 5-10mins as apposed to last week in the mornings :) can't wait for daylight savings speaking of which when is it?. Some people say it's the 30th of September others the 7th of October.
I would think the 30th sounds more inviting 8) remember its changed now back two weeks or something.
Hmm :-k tomorrow evening's change is rather on the cold side which could be interesting maybe for a few rumbles ;) .
We have daytime heating which should bring us to around 14-15C with perhaps a light breezy onshore NE wind, however NW inland even though that doesnt influence development as such at this time of year.
Only thing we are lacking is that moisture though, so perhaps a low risk for the time being 8-[ .
Cheers
Jason.
Gary McConnochie

Unread post by Gary McConnochie »

Jasestrm wrote: can't wait for daylight savings speaking of which when is it?. Some people say it's the 30th of September others the 7th of October.
Jason I think you will find it is the first weekend of October, which is the 7th. :)
Gary
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

I thought the daylight saving period was brought in early this year to cater for the school holidays?

....anyway.
Surface pressures are too high for anything to happen tomorrow, so it will be just another boring cold Sw, as apposed to southerly change. 1030hPa pressures are looming so much more uninteresting sunny days coming up :(
JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Just looked in diary the 7th of October is the old daylight savings which was current to the year starting 2007.
The new daylight savings time was changed in March of this year, which means it possibly is the 30th of September 8) .
Cheers
Jason.
melja

Unread post by melja »

Daylight saving is from the 30th sept - 6th april three weeks longer with one week at the start and two at the end.

check the link.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/w ... enDocument
Lawrence

Very close to a frost this morning,should be a nice start to the day. Light wind from the North East, Baro 1014 and falling so might get a brisk breeze when the first front comes in,temp 3.4C.Looking like the Banks will get a dusting on Wednesday with a few wintery showers blowing in for the coastal areas depending on the wind strength. :-k
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Obviosly the more DST the better (yr round) but with it being limited to only so many weeks it would be better to start it at Labour weekend to Anzac weekend as the better weather is more appreciated rather than the daylight hours as more can be done to 630 pm in April and dark to 8am rather than the sun shining at 6am and pitch black at 6pm 8)
melja wrote:Daylight saving is from the 30th sept - 6th april three weeks longer with one week at the start and two at the end.

check the link.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/w ... enDocument