Low Winter Smog Readings for Christchurch

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Low Winter Smog Readings for Christchurch

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I see that Christchurch has recorded it's lowest smog reading since reading began in 1988.
Congratulations to all who have burnt less, used their car less and have restricted their farts to windy days.
It shows you that people are realizing that to burn backyard rubbish,set tyres alight and drive their very smoky car to work on days that there is a movement in wind. :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Lawrence

Re: Low Winter Smog Readings for Christchurch

Unread post by Lawrence »

Yes, it would be even better if the government would commit to a policy of stringent emissions testing for Buses,lorrys and cars,Taxing according to the size of engine and how much distance is travelled per year. Subsidies for the installing of Solarpower heating and insulation and also stopped fudging the issue of enormous power bills for the residents of New Zealand and committed themselves to build a couple of nuclear power reactors so the population of New Zealand could actually keep warm with out having to take out a second mortgage, :evil: or should I be resigned to just having to "harden up,don’t be a whinging pom an put another jumper on yer wuss" [-X mentality.Are there any politicans with a couple of brain cells out there?..But any way ,well done Cantabrians. =D> =D>Now, about your cows.............
Andrew Massie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

Karshvardidgâh wrote:Yes, it would be even better if the government would commit to a policy of stringent emissions testing for buses, lorrys and cars, taxing according to the size of engine and how much distance is travelled per year.

Providing subsidies for the installation of solar water heating and insulation and also stop fudging the issue of enormous power bills for the residents of New Zealand and committed themselves to build a couple of nuclear power reactors so the population of New Zealand could actually keep warm with out having to take out a second mortgage, :evil:

Or should I be resigned to just having to "harden up, don’t be a whinging pom an put another jumper on ya wuss" [-X mentality. Are there any politicans with a couple of brain cells out there?..But any way ,well done Cantabrians. =D> =D>Now, about your cows.............
Geez, that WAS a big whinge (you'll note that I tidied up your grammar, lack of gaps, paragraphs etc...!)!

Agree totally with the bus and car testing. We dont have "lorrys" here! Bloody poms! What the hell does "lorry" mean? Sounds like a word that Cilla Black invented!

<Putting my cards on the table> As an Electrical Lecturer, I now publically state that I have no issue with NZ having a Nuclear Fission Reactor to produce electricity.

The latest Fission Reactors use helium instead of water as the coolant, which reduces the chance of catastrophic meltdown. Due to the majority of the population being there, the reactor should be near Auckland, which would keep farmers in the Waikato from whinging about pylons on their properties. However, I would also like to see NZ participate in the research of Nuclear Fusion Reactors, currently being spearheaded by France.

I'm also all for subsidies for domestic solar water heating, heat pumps, double glazing, underfloor, ceiling, and wall insulation, wind turbine generators, solar panels and battery banks with 230VAC inverters! But not to "feed the grid", as power companies whinge about that and are now as a consequence, installing electronic kWh meters that can't run backwards (bastards!)!
Energy efficient homes= Everyone's happy, except power companies! \:D/ =D> 8)
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

Andrew Massie wrote:[<Putting my cards on the table> As an Electrical Lecturer, I now publically state that I have no issue with NZ having a Nuclear Fission Reactor to produce electricity.

The latest Fission Reactors use helium instead of water as the coolant, which reduces the chance of catastrophic meltdown. Due to the majority of the population being there, the reactor should be near Auckland, which would keep farmers in the Waikato from whinging about pylons on their properties. However, I would also like to see NZ participate in the research of Nuclear Fusion Reactors, currently being spearheaded by France.

I'm also all for subsidies for domestic solar water heating, heat pumps, double glazing, underfloor, ceiling, and wall insulation, wind turbine generators, solar panels and battery banks with 230VAC inverters! But not to "feed the grid", as power companies whinge about that and are now as a consequence, installing electronic kWh meters that can't run backwards (bastards!)!
Energy efficient homes= Everyone's happy, except power companies! \:D/ =D> 8)
Thanks for that Andrew,I totally agree with you on your points there,Could not have put it better myself.
Sorry about the long whinge and the bad grammer :oops: but I was tired and had just recieved my power bill that morning and was a little grumpy. ;)
Andrew Massie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

Karshvardidgâh wrote:Thanks for that Andrew,I totally agree with you on your points there,Could not have put it better myself.
Sorry about the long whinge and the bad grammer :oops: but I was tired and had just recieved my power bill that morning and was a little grumpy. ;)
Don't apologise! I'm just taking the mickey a wee bit... Poms are some of my fav people to harass!

p.s i before e except after c!
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

I think most of us know the low smog figures this year are as much good luck as good management thanks to the endless NE winds over the normally frostiest past of the winter.

But hats off the Ecan et al, the trend looks encouraging.
Christchurch Rocks