Tstorm Canterbury 14-09-07

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Re: Prediction for Tstorm Canterbury 14-09-07

Unread post by Storm Struck »

4pm radar showing some hail possible also few strikes still going off.
Once it hits this E-NE wind which has picked up abit again it should fire off nicly as it hits chch and heads north.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Currently out chasing, although things have died off in quiet a big way. Did see an impress CG with in 1-2km.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

yup coming home from work and i can see well the dark cb towards the west more so, nothing els has happend since then.
Right now its raining, but not cold at all, and we have had a few speradics but now its light rain in this part of the city, but has got a distinct thundery smell of rain! i love it!
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Good to see the forum back on line, tried to get on last night but to no avail as i wanted to comment on MetServices bald prediction for thunderstorms today.
Anyway things did eventuate especially towards the Mt. Somers/Methven area although I did not or haven't received any reports from there. There were some sfericals and I suspect that there were a few rumbles of thunder heard in that area.
Anyway the cloud did thicken and move across here more from 4:30pm with it coming onto rain. Good steady stuff too.
No thunder tho as the barometer is too high for juicy thunderstorms in Canterbury and possibly too early in the thunderstorm season, I thought, but then I don't know how significant the upper level trough was.
Thank you Paul Mallinson for your reports. If you become spot on with your thunderstorm forecasts, you could become the patron of the NZ Thunderstorm Society, and we could call you St. Paul :-k :roll: Bob and I will have to confer :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

That wasnt too bad a very nice windchange line came through making the cell look like a meso :lol: .
Just some welcome moderate to breifly heavy falls of rain with 2.4mm in the gauge.
This is really great to see these chances appearing so early in the season even if they dont eventuate into much, perhaps meaning all those snow chances we had for winter will be replaced by thunderstorms this season coming starting from about early October ;) .
Cheers
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David

Unread post by David »

Cool pics 8)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looks like a southerly buster shelf cloud there Jason. Cheers for the pics. Yes, maybe Canterbury is in for a good storm season this spring.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Nice pics Jason. :D
Met Service convective outlook was spot on. :)
Paul Mallinson
Meteorologist (Retired)

Unread post by Paul Mallinson »

[quote="NZ Thunderstorm Soc"]
...Thank you Paul Mallinson for your reports. If you become spot on with your thunderstorm forecasts, you could become the patron of the NZ Thunderstorm Society, and we could call you St. Paul :-k :roll: Bob and I will have to confer :)

JohnGaul

Very flattered John!

Very impressive pics Jasestrm. Some interesting structure there. I found your third pic especially interesting. As was commented on, it looks like shelf cloud... the area of moist uplift and inflow. We were looking at some radar cross sections this afternoon and you could see the updraft area on the east side if the cells supporting precipitation aloft (and mature cells further east with heavy precip falling out). This was the east to southeast inflow wind that was blowing in from the coast.

There was not much wind shear in the environment today and so individual cells were not lasting very long, but continued development on the eastern inflow side kept the activity going.

Paul
Paul Mallinson
Meteorologist (Retired)

Unread post by Paul Mallinson »

Paul Mallinson wrote:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: ...Thank you Paul Mallinson for your reports. If you become spot on with your thunderstorm forecasts, you could become the patron of the NZ Thunderstorm Society, and we could call you St. Paul :-k :roll: Bob and I will have to confer :)

JohnGaul

Very flattered John!

Very impressive pics Jasestrm. Some interesting structure there. I found your third pic especially interesting. As was commented on, it looks like shelf cloud... the area of moist uplift and inflow. We were looking at some radar cross sections this afternoon and you could see the updraft area on the east side if the cells supporting precipitation aloft (and mature cells further WEST with heavy precip falling out). This was the east to southeast inflow wind that was blowing in from the coast.

There was not much wind shear in the environment today and so individual cells were not lasting very long, but continued development on the eastern inflow side kept the activity going.

Paul

Correction... east to WEST
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

About the only pic I took today, went looking for hail didnt find any. Good to have internet in the car, didnt waste gas like we would have done on other chases.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Storm Struck

Nice pic there Steve good to get some open country side so you can get a better veiw of the actual cell.
I was going to get out chasing but decided not too as things were not overly active as to be expected at this time of the year.
Thanks for the comments, yes the third one is my favourite too especailly with the flat lining shelf cloud at the top too.
Ohh and spot on for John =D> I believe in one of the other topics I read the word thunder for Friday from John and wondering why he said it and now we know why :-k .
Cheers
Jason.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I thought the possibility of thunder looming here in the next couple of days from looking at forecast maps a couple of days ago, but I was quite impressed of Paul Mallinson's thunderstorm forecast for today when I thought that things may look a bit sceptical.
Anyway, here's the best of my pictures today

JohnGaul
NZTS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

Just like to thank everyone for the pictures and info on Friday, =D> =D> unfortunatly I missed all the action being at work late and driving home, :cry: :roll: but from what I did see it all seemed pretty exciting.Got caught in a heavy shower at Hornby at about 17:10 when driving back home on Highway 1,the clouds looked awsome.Oh well, there always next time. :)
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Pretty shitty day here in chch typical low cloud from the NE sea breeze cloud, actually haven't had that for a while but the wind wasn't warm either.
Bring on spring and more unstable storm days!
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

tornadoman18 wrote:Pretty shitty day here in chch typical low cloud from the NE sea breeze cloud, actually haven't had that for a while but the wind wasn't warm either.
Bring on spring and more unstable storm days!
While, in Amberley, the NW arrived early afternoon and we got to 19deg. :)
Thunder

Re: Tstorm Canterbury 14-09-07

Unread post by Thunder »

Just to say I went on a chase with Steve (03) that day, saw what he saw. One CG blazzed down to earth then we heard some thunder, then that was it! Right about the time steve's photo was taken. Then most photogenic it got mind you.

Got some heavyish rain to.

Awaiting the next storm!! Will have to round you up Andrew and others, hopefully a storm chase drink afterwards at the Methven pub sounds good to me. Or perhaps the Horarata (sp?) pub. Either pub suits me, where ever the storms lead us. Mind you I always have a rasthberry and coke anyway, would have a jim beam but only if we wait a little bit before driving off I spose.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Wilkinson