North-Easterly Gales.

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

North-Easterly Gales.

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

This is a Micheal sort of thread for ChCh
I see that MetService are forecasting NE up to 45 knots for Canterbury.
It's been windy here for much of the day with annoying EnE continuously slamming doors here at my place. I understand now why Michael gets pist off with annoying SW winds spoiling a nice day in Auckland.
NIWA in it's summeries for Canterbury,keeps going on about Canterbury NW winds but nothing has been done aboout our prevailing wind, the north-easters which can spoil a lovely day here in Christchurch, also other parts of Canterbury.
Bob Crowder asked Jim Salinger at a recent NIWA talk here in ChCh about the North-easter here and he said he didn't know anything about it.
(Ben was there)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Your NE or ENE is caused by a "NW flow" and funnels through cook strait and on the Canty coastline wheres the alps stops or lifts the NW above the ground and again you get the surface ENE.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Michael wrote:Your NE or ENE is caused by a "NW flow" and funnels through cook strait and on the Canty coastline wheres the alps stops or lifts the NW above the ground and again you get the surface ENE.
Correct
You can tell when a cold front is due, whether it is weak or not, it dosen't matter, by the Ene becoming gusty.
It's when the Ene 'hangs in' when the front is due to cross, especially in the afternoon, that's when things are likely to happen here :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Skywatcher
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Skywatcher »

That gusty ENE was really annoying yesterday afternoon - kept blowing out the burners on the BBQ ;)

The page in Erick Brenstrum's The NZ Weather Book about "wind roses" points out that the NE is ChCh's prevailing wind direction. Adding in the E to cover what is usually more of an ENE wind accounts for 34% of the wind frequency !

Cheers
Steven
TonyT

Re: North-Easterly Gales.

Unread post by TonyT »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Bob Crowder asked Jim Salinger at a recent NIWA talk here in ChCh about the North-easter here and he said he didn't know anything about it.
(Ben was there)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Ian McKendry wrote a 600 page phD thesis on it in the 1980s - there is a copy in the main Canterbury University Library and also in the Geography Dept library. I think most of what there is to know about it is already known.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: North-Easterly Gales.

TonyT wrote:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
Ian McKendry wrote a 600 page phD thesis on it in the 1980s - there is a copy in the main Canterbury University Library and also in the Geography Dept library. I think most of what there is to know about it is already known.
Ah well at least there is some reference to it.

Winds here 'twixt north and east today.
Even though a heavily laden NW sky cloud-wize and warm, no sign of a dry, gusty NW blowing here :)

JohnGaul
NZTS