Raining in Christchurch

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Raining in Christchurch

Unread post by jeffsweather »

Light rain this morning from a little after 7am. When I heard the first few drops on the roof, I was thinking that it was going to be all over before it started but is still going with the NE wind picking up. Not sure if it is general over the city or just in my corner.

With 28C and nor'westers forecast for this afternoon, it will soon be dry again. Showers predicted for tomorrow and Tuesday with highs about 17 to 18C.

Spiders have built webs in my rain gauge as it has tipped but not returned. I'll get up on the roof later and sort it out.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

We having a mostly fine/mild day today with a fresh NE but quite pleasant ;) The rain probably come later as it veers to the west as it should tomorrow or so
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

The light rain lasted for about four hours here with a total of just 0.6mm recorded. Still overcast but with a light N breeze and 23C.
tich

Unread post by tich »

About 2mm in Akaroa area as well - turned out to be more than just the few spits you normally get with a northwesterly front. Still not nearly enough to make a real difference, but more is predicted tomorrow with a southerly. Must be pouring down on the West Coast and Alps.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Rain fell at quite a resonable rate here in Southshore, I got 3 to 4 mm, but due to that old leaf sitting in my rain guage I guess it might be 2 to 3 mm. But yeah.......the rain was heard on the roof very well.

What were the type clouds that brought this rain?

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:
What were the type clouds that brought this rain?
They would be nimbo-stratus blowen over from the Alps ahead of the front.
I got 3.4mm so I suppose that's something.
It's interesting to hear about people with obvious neglected rain-gauges.
I just happened to clean mine out yesterday as it had green gunk/seeds/dead grassgrubs in the bottom of mine!!

I don't think it will be thundery tomorrow here, just grey with nimbo-stratus or boring strato-cumulus :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

27C for Dunedin, says TV1!?! Bollocks (can I say Bollocks?...twice ;) )

Got to 32.6C at 6.30pm tonight but hover over 30C from about 1pm.

Southerly has just hit in the last few minutes and the temp is plummeting now. Dropped 5.7C in 14mins so far.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

They said 34 in Dunedin today then mentioned the cool change in Invercargill ;)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Re the 34C at Dunedin Airport.

I hope NIWA are not using the AWS temperatures from Dunedin airport scientifically. The persistently high readings that come from that AWS are anomalous. :)
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

NZstorm wrote:Re the 34C at Dunedin Airport.
If people aren't aware the Dunedin Airport (out on the Taieri Plains) is 26Km as the Tui flies from my station and about 24km from the centre of the city.

Now 26km around these parts is a long way, yuk, specially when ya horse throws a shoe, gone darnitt ;) We don't have any of the big wide motorways, you know the ones...you're all paying for them!!!

Anyway the Taieri has a very different climate than Dunedin. When we sit in town with that NE coming over Mt Cargill dragging low mist, Mosgiel can be basking in sun easily 3-5C warmer. So if it was 34C at the Airport, it's probably acceptable to be only 32C at my place or even 27C at Musselburgh Pumping Station (on the flat near St. Kilda beach).

The only real issue is that there's slightly more of us living here in the city than at the Airport.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Fujita Phil wrote:
NZstorm wrote:Re the 34C at Dunedin Airport.
If people aren't aware the Dunedin Airport (out on the Taieri Plains) is 26Km as the Tui flies from my station and about 24km from the centre of the city.

Now 26km around these parts is a long way, yuk, specially when ya horse throws a shoe, gone darnitt ;) We don't have any of the big wide motorways, you know the ones...you're all paying for them!!!

Anyway the Taieri has a very different climate than Dunedin. When we sit in town with that NE coming over Mt Cargill dragging low mist, Mosgiel can be basking in sun easily 3-5C warmer. So if it was 34C at the Airport, it's probably acceptable to be only 32C at my place or even 27C at Musselburgh Pumping Station (on the flat near St. Kilda beach).

The only real issue is that there's slightly more of us living here in the city than at the Airport.
I guess so long as the weather people have something to blather about, without actually having to do any real work, they're all happy. I e-mailed Hickey et al about the ridiculous statements they make about the weather down here in North Otago and the Mackenzie Basin (lumping us in with cold, damp, miserable Oamaru! Pffft...!), but his reply made it quite clear that they're there to read whatever the Herald publishes, and stuff doing any actual researchy-type stuff!

:-)