Wishlists and "wish it had" lists

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
RWood

Wishlists and "wish it had" lists

Unread post by RWood »

Sometimes I think there should be a thread for all posts along one or more of the following lines:

(1) I wish it would hurry up and rain/hail/thunder tomorrow/next week/some day
(2) I wish it had rained/hailed/thundered yesterday/last week/this year
(3) The weather has been boring/is boring/will be boring forever

...etc :? :roll:

Perhaps a bit more post-analysis and less of the above? Just a suggestion.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

My interest varies dramatically, usually motivated by others.

For example, if others are organising a storm chase, or fellow Tauranga based watcher Kaimaikid brings something to my attention I'll pay a lot more attention. Metservice warnings are another motivator. Otherwise it's not my primary hobby.

It's about time we got a decent storm come through though.
jamie

Re: Wishlists and "wish it had" lists

Unread post by jamie »

i wish we have have a good trop cyclone come down this summer and come down the hauraki gulf and then down the firth of thames and then stall..causing massive detruction and flooding to auckland coromandle bop waikato...but it will never happen.
janewaystv
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by janewaystv »

I wish it would rain every couple of days instead of every 2 or 3 weeks. Raindays seem to be on the decline here in recent years, perhaps more to do with "natural climate change" than GW as suggested by others, there's been some talk of Ozzies fleeing to NZ should the dry and hot weather keep up, some are refusing to believe that rainfall patterns have changed negatively here in Oz with many places recording declining rainfall averages.

I wonder how you Kiwi's think if the weather has changed for the worst or better over NZ in recent years? Do you wish for less rain and more sunshine? or the opposite?
David

Unread post by David »

I would not mind a higher annual total, just as long has we had sunshine in between. The eternal cloud (which actually only lasts 3days to a week at a time) can be annoying at times - as with drizzle instead of proper rain.

My mother thinks summers were sunnier and drier when she was a kid than they are now - don't know if thats such a bad thing though. My grandfather also thinks thunder occurs more frequently in recent years than they did when he was younger - but to prove these opinions right or wrong I'd have to download a heap of climate data and then process it, but I don't really want to.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

RWood wrote:Sometimes I think there should be a thread for all posts along one or more of the following lines:

Quoted for truth RWood... these sorts of posts don't make sense to me at all, it's just totally illogical when you think about it.
As said before, this aint a place for complaints about the weather, it's tiresome and I bet the readers don't have any sympathy for you. Period.
David

Unread post by David »

Ah thats a bit harsh really, weather is a field associated with a persons feelings - the exhilaration of a storm, the foresight of a severe event, etc.
We can't all be robots! :lol:

But maybe we should try to cut out complaining and whinging on here (negative emotion).
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Foggy wrote:
RWood wrote:Sometimes I think there should be a thread for all posts along one or more of the following lines:

Quoted for truth RWood... these sorts of posts don't make sense to me at all, it's just totally illogical when you think about it.
As said before, this aint a place for complaints about the weather, it's tiresome and I bet the readers don't have any sympathy for you. Period.
But he isnt complaining about the weather - he's complaining about the people who do all the complaining! I have a lot of sympathy for RWood's view, and would happily be stricter on the moderation of posts which serve only to vent posters' frustration rather than advance any rational discussion. But thats for the greater membership to signal they want. Till then business as usual. :) or :(
Willoughby
Site Admin

I'm 100% agreeing with him Tony. ;)

In other news, the board will be down from 9.30pm for a lil while for a software upgrade, not long before phpBB3 becomes gold.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

David wrote:I would not mind a higher annual total, just as long has we had sunshine in between. The eternal cloud (which actually only lasts 3days to a week at a time) can be annoying at times - as with drizzle instead of proper rain.

My mother thinks summers were sunnier and drier when she was a kid than they are now - don't know if thats such a bad thing though. My grandfather also thinks thunder occurs more frequently in recent years than they did when he was younger - but to prove these opinions right or wrong I'd have to download a heap of climate data and then process it, but I don't really want to.
To try and be neutral and analytical - the timespan your mother's referring to would have to be defined, as well as the region(s) involved, as different parts of the country have different histories. Short of that, one couldn't really begin to say much that was sensible.

One classic point about selective memory though - in the 30s there was an exceptionally warm summer, in fact the warmest on record, in 1934/35. :D It was also very sunny and settled in most parts, many places getting very benign summerlike weather from November through to the end of April. A childhood recollection could be based on that, for instance. If you look at other summers from that decade, quite a few of them were indifferent to poor for large portions of the country! :?
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Why cannot we have a place (ie a topic) we can vent our anger about the weather.As this phb forum has options to block people and disallow viewing of their posts and I am sure its is used here,it should be free speech as long as it doesnt breach basic guidelines of obsenity :P
Willoughby
Site Admin

Michael wrote:Why cannot we have a place (ie a topic) we can vent our anger about the weather.As this phb forum has options to block people and disallow viewing of their posts and I am sure its is used here,it should be free speech as long as it doesnt breach basic guidelines of obsenity :P
Isn't that what you have your own forum for? :lol:
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Michael wrote:Why cannot we have a place (ie a topic) we can vent our anger about the weather.As this phb forum has options to block people and disallow viewing of their posts and I am sure its is used here,it should be free speech as long as it doesnt breach basic guidelines of obsenity :P
im with michael on this one...if there is a topic for it then so be...if you don't like people complaining and venting anger then you dont have to open the topic and read it.
sw_windbow
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by sw_windbow »

I have fond memories of the mid-80s summers and my early school holidays. We used to be able to swim sedately all day in the sea. For the past few summers you only go into the sea on a dare.

My thoughts on the thread topic are that it is sometimes a chore scrolling through screeds of posts where people are more or less saying something for the sake of being heard. I want to reads posts where there are clear ideas and observations that have substance - posts to ponder on.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

There is an experiment being done in a large UK site where on some topics there are two sets of forums - one for strict analysis and discussion, the other more or less a free-for-all. This has been added particularly to deal with friction in the ever-contentious climate change threads. I think that would all be a bit over the top for a much smaller forum like this one, but if people stick more to the topics of the threads (we all wander at times) then all should be OK anyway. :)