High Pressure to start December

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Razor

Re: High Pressure to start December

Unread post by Razor »

Some reasonable nor-west type rain through here for the past couple of hours, will keep the heat at bay today.

I see the west coast is up over 600mm for the week now in the Franz/ Fox area, with another 200mm forecast today :shock:
Christchurch Rocks
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Temp never obtainable in Auckland
cripes met service says 31 again tomorrow!
We also dont get 31F ;)

Hope some of that SI Mnt rain finds it's way into our hydro lakes.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

It used to do that often in the old days,Obvious years like 1985,1988,1989 and some other times
David wrote:That anticyclone to the east of us is incredible! I can't remember ever seeing a high block for so long and then move eastward back towards NZ (thats what is forecast to happen). Looks as if rain from the low will be pushed into the South Island instead, as the high extends onto the North Island, the reverse of La Nina :o
David

Unread post by David »

spwill wrote:We also dont get 31F ;)
I did :D 30.2F this year (-1.0C) on 23rd July, frosty grass, deck, roof and car ;)
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Michael wrote:It used to do that often in the old days,Obvious years like 1985,1988,1989 and some other times
David wrote:That anticyclone to the east of us is incredible! I can't remember ever seeing a high block for so long and then move eastward back towards NZ (thats what is forecast to happen). Looks as if rain from the low will be pushed into the South Island instead, as the high extends onto the North Island, the reverse of La Nina :o
This blocking is not at all exceptional! Anticyclonic blocks occur/have occurred regularly both in the "old" and "new" days. In July 2000 a block stalled the progress of systems from the west for about 3 weeks. Great for Wellington, not so good for Bay of Plenty. In January 1965, with a very high predominance of anticyclonic NE flows over the North Island, it was warm, humid and sunny in the NI (particularly in the southwest quadrant where W'gton had 304 hrs sun), with some highish rainfalls in Northland and BOP. Meanwhile all of the South Island apart from Marlborough was much cloudier than usual, especially in Canterbury and the high country, with above normal rainfall in Canterbury and much of Westland.
David

Unread post by David »

Could be the warmest day so far since Winter here, nearly 24C and climbing now that the sun is shining. Feels awful with the humid NE still hanging around. At least I'm getting used to the hot nights now, last night the 4th consecutive warm night.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Forecasters now say 31 degrees for ChCh again on Sunday! Make the most of this light rain farmers...
Christchurch Rocks
Inny Binny
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Inny Binny »

Holy moses, I didn't expect today to be as hot as that other day because metservice changed the temp back to 25 yesterday, but now the high says 28, and Jeff's station is right up to 31.2 again!

Now equal with the record of 32.4 made a few days ago. Too hot...

...33.5 :|