Xmas Day Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Xmas Day Weather

Unread post by spwill »

Perhaps clearing SouthWesterlies and a fine Xmas day for much of NZ.
sw_windbow
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Xmas Day Weather

Unread post by sw_windbow »

South Is: Rain in the West, light falls spreading to the east, temps 16 Invercargil - 22 Blenhiem.

North Is: Overcast from Northland to Taupo, light rain in BoP, fine but cloudy conditions elsewhere, temps 18 Taupo - 24 Napier/Hastings.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Who cares?
Everybody should be inside enjoying Christmas with their families and friends, not worried about the weather outside.

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Who cares?
Everybody should be inside enjoying Christmas with their families and friends, not worried about the weather outside.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Amen to that... :D
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Actually a wet day is best on Xmas day without the flies and heat associated with the dinner etc :D
David

Unread post by David »

Yeah, and anyway what good is it trying to predict what it will be like any time soon? If people struggle for an accurate forecast 3 days ahead then 11 days ahead is sort of silly.
Actually a wet day is best on Xmas day without the flies and heat associated with the dinner etc :D
Actually I've noticed in wet weather the flies come in under the shelter around the door, and slip inside when some opens the door.
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

David wrote: Actually I've noticed in wet weather the flies come in under the shelter around the door, and slip inside when some opens the door.
House flies rest in sunny areas until the heat of the day when they move to shady areas. At night they move into buildings on the walls and ceilings or under the eves. Stable flies seldom enter buildings and generally avoid darker areas.
They can also detect warmth and smells from within a house so insulation around doors and windows is a good way of stopping them accumulating in such areas.Also, use an automatic type spray insecticide in hallways or near door entrances to combat the problem.

Residual sprays are effective for seven to 10 days if not exposed to sunlight or washed off by rain. The spray should be applied to the point of run-off but not allowed to puddle. Care should be given to avoid contamination of feed or water. Insecticides should be rotated periodically to avoid developing insecticide resistance. Ideally, the rotation would be among different families of chemicals (i.e., a chlorinated hydrocarbon, a phosphate and a pyrethroid). :)
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Karshvardidgâh wrote:
David wrote: Actually I've noticed in wet weather the flies come in under the shelter around the door, and slip inside when some opens the door.
House flies rest in sunny areas until the heat of the day when they move to shady areas. At night they move into buildings on the walls and ceilings or under the eves. Stable flies seldom enter buildings and generally avoid darker areas.
They can also detect warmth and smells from within a house so insulation around doors and windows is a good way of stopping them accumulating in such areas.Also, use an automatic type spray insecticide in hallways or near door entrances to combat the problem.

Residual sprays are effective for seven to 10 days if not exposed to sunlight or washed off by rain. The spray should be applied to the point of run-off but not allowed to puddle. Care should be given to avoid contamination of feed or water. Insecticides should be rotated periodically to avoid developing insecticide resistance. Ideally, the rotation would be among different families of chemicals (i.e., a chlorinated hydrocarbon, a phosphate and a pyrethroid). :)
Whereas I always thought a good old fashioned fly-swatter would do the trick! :D ;) Not too bad for the environment and plus the kids have fun counting how many they/you can get!

(I know, Karsh, they CAN get annoying.....)
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Wildland

Unread post by Wildland »

One of those hand-held fly zappers is the weapon of choice in this household - though you do have to resist the urge to flail about as if it is a flyswat! Great for despatching white-tailed spiders, too. And when moths sneak in to stomp all over the freshly made salad, the zapper comes in very handy.

Some friends of mine use the dogs - they've become expert at snatching blowies out of the air, and the sight of a German Shepherd hunting flies is good entertainment.

Fortunately, though we get an upsurge in fly numbers during these early humid days of summer, we don't get them too badly during summer. Perhaps Wellington's "light breezes" blow the little critters out to sea. Good riddance.

bzzzz 8-[ bzzzzz.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Who cares?
Unfortunately not everyone gets to spend Christmas Day with their family or friends. It can be quite hard on those people and they often choose to get away from it all. Good weather helps.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

tgsnoopy wrote: Unfortunately not everyone gets to spend Christmas Day with their family or friends. It can be quite hard on those people and they often choose to get away from it all. Good weather helps.
True :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

might be now a late spring style tasman cold front/trough apporaching with warm NW conditions? (and rain for westerbn areas south of Taranaki)?
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

might be now a late spring style tasman cold front/trough apporaching with warm NW conditions? (and rain for westerbn areas south of Taranaki)?
Will come down to timing of this system crossing NZ. NW or SW by Xmas day.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

My guesscaste is for rain over much of the North Island on Xmas day though dry in the east. Hopefully the rain will come late in the day for Auckland. The east of the South Island will be bright but the chance of late afternoon showers/thunderstorm.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

The east of the South Island will be bright but the chance of late afternoon showers/thunderstorm.
Turkey Towers on Xmas day.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

NZstorm wrote: The east of the South Island will be bright but the chance of late afternoon showers/thunderstorm.
That will be a lovely Christmas present, the best that one would want :) :) :D :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
David

Unread post by David »

Wonder what will happen on Christmas now... 8-[
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Might find that South Tasman Low will be pushed south and weaken on it's approach to NZ due to High preasure east of NZ, has been the trend so far this Summer.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

yes,that looks like what will happen according to the latest ECMWF ;)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

NZstorm wrote:My guesscaste is for rain over much of the North Island on Xmas day though dry in the east. Hopefully the rain will come late in the day for Auckland. The east of the South Island will be bright but the chance of late afternoon showers/thunderstorm.
oh awesome sounds great! yes lovely xmas present that would be from mother nature and good thunderstorm! :D
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I might adopt the '24hr rule here' and assert that I am still correct if than rain/showers happen a day earlier than I had forecast. :lol: With a bit of luck the worst of the weather will be thru by Xmas day, as the ECMRF now suggests.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

NZstorm wrote:I might adopt the '24hr rule here' and assert that I am still correct if than rain/showers happen a day earlier than I had forecast. :lol: With a bit of luck the worst of the weather will be thru by Xmas day, as the ECMRF now suggests.

Well thought out :lol:

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

My guess now is for one or two showers in the east north of Gisborne and in the far SW otherwise a mainly fine day.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Maybe a few showers on a SW change on xmas day, id like to say thundery but then that depends on how generous mother nature is on xmas day. :)
Still a fair way out yet though.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Christchurch Rocks