Record heat spell, March 16-20th

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Willoughby
Site Admin

Record heat spell, March 16-20th

Unread post by Willoughby »

Ex-Sub tropic low to the east set to direct a swathe of warm air over the North Island today... 850mb temps not too extreme with 14C progged over Hamilton... but the faint southerly winds and basin effect should get the temperature right up there, 29C possible and may nudge 30C here in Hamilton.

Rwood, have you got any March temperature records on hand?
RWood

Re: Sunday heat

Unread post by RWood »

I didn't have any for the Hamilton area offhand. But it was fairly easy to get from Cliflo - select stat. 06 (extreme max. temp in the monthly/annual group) and select stations under "Hamilton" and "Ruakura". Downloading all those gave a value of 29.4C in March 1908 (Ruakura). One of the EWSs had 28.5C in March 1998, and 28.3C last year.
Vertigo
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Vertigo »

That airmass doesnt look like itll flow anywhere near the NI, at least without losing some heat.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looks like South Island will be the place for heat next week although a coastal NE breeze will keep coastal temps down.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

No heat here today only 20°
Willoughby
Site Admin

Up to 28.8C here at 3.57pm 8) , cooled down a bit to 28.3C now. Thanks Rwood, I wonder what Ruakura is recording right now.. but I bet the record must be pretty close to being tipped!
Vertigo wrote:That airmass doesnt look like itll flow anywhere near the NI, at least without losing some heat.
It's directing the flow and upper air southerlies from the warm cored system... much like a typical situation we would get in mid winter. Low to the NE of Gisborne directs abnormally warm sub-tropical air over the upper North Island and gets us those balmy 18C days out of the blue.

Was in Rotorua earlier this morning shivering like anything in the forest.. how times change!
tich

Unread post by tich »

Definitely not warm in Chch today, thanks to persistent cloudiness and a dying southerly. 16.8C max at Hillmorton.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Cold wind here, as anyone watching the cricket knows. Should be warmer for NZ's death throes tomorrow.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

We had a SW breeze here today but still managed 24C. :)
Willoughby
Site Admin

Yep! Looks like a new March record here! Hamilton Airport reporting 30C at 5pm.. so they got hotter than here in the city.
npfield
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by npfield »

phew yeah its really hot, just been playing some tennis out in the sun, not a cloud around, great post summer weather!
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

When is 1 news going to change their weather. Jim said earlyer on that hamilton reached 30 a couple of hours ago but then in the full report the graphics said 29 and he said 29 but doesnt state that is was actually 30. How silly and confusing.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Scorching March day

Hamilton has recorded its hottest March day in more than 100 years.

The mercury hit 29.5C in Hamilton yesterday, topping Niwa records for March kept since 1907.

Jim Salinger, principal climate scientist at the national climate centre, said hot weather was not unusual in March, but yesterday's record was due to unusually warm southeasterlies.

And the fine weather is set to continue, with the temperature forecast to rise to 27 tomorrow, and to continue for most of the week.

The long-range forecast for Easter is for more fine weather over the North Island.

Hamilton also continues to be the driest Metservice station, with just 60.2mm of rain this year, compared with an average rainfall of 199mm.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikatotimes/4442545a6579.html
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

Hot temperatures recorded today, several over 30C. Think 32C will be the absolute max down south.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Myself wrote:Hot temperatures recorded today, several over 30C. Think 32C will be the absolute max down south.
Could you please fill in your location field in your profile. It is a requirement so when you say here, we know where that is. Thanks :)
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

tgsnoopy wrote:
Myself wrote:Hot temperatures recorded today, several over 30C. Think 32C will be the absolute max down south.
Could you please fill in your location field in your profile. It is a requirement so when you say here, we know where that is. Thanks :)
I'm in Wellington. Definitely did not hit 30C here! But stations in Otago certainly did.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

It was about 23C "here", a well-nigh perfect day.
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

RWood wrote:It was about 23C "here", a well-nigh perfect day.
Yes, 23C will do just fine thanks.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Sure was warm today, I was working in a valley above Summner shelterd from the NE sea breeze only wee light puffs every now and then.
Would have been atleast 28C up there, looks like another warm one tomorrow maybe even a little hotter.
Interesting to note a rather heavy shower has been showing up just off id say Gore bay in the last few hours, also a few other showers offshore now too and i think they may come onshore.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The heavier precip on the Canterbury radar is a bit of a puzzle.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Based on what I can see out the window its probably fog. It was foggy along the coast here this morning, and again for a while in the afternoon, although clear from about 1km inland.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Should be a scorcher tomorrow.

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

TonyT wrote:Based on what I can see out the window its probably fog. It was foggy along the coast here this morning, and again for a while in the afternoon, although clear from about 1km inland.
yeah, I was a bit confused by the radar as well....the fog going home last night (5:30 pm) was pretty impressive, but didn't last very long and seemed pretty isolated near the coast and quickly dissipated.
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Also I think the big temperature inversion off the surface could be interfering with the radar returns but I could be wrong, it might just be the fog.
Weather Watcher
MetService Meteorologist

Unread post by Weather Watcher »

NZStorm is correct. The heavy 'precip' showing on the Canterbury radar last evening north of Banks Peninsula were anomalous propagation (AP) echoes, often called 'ducting' echoes. This happens when the radar beam is bent back towards the ground by a strong inversion just above the surface. This generally happens when the low-level air below the inversion is warm and moist, and the air above the inversion is very dry. Yesterday we had a warm moist shallow easterly at the surface, and good dry northwesterly aloft (above about 800 metres from memory). In this situation, the radar beam is getting bent down and hitting the sea. It is these strong reflections off the sea that were showing on the radar image yesterday. These AP echoes are very difficult to remove from radar images.