Canty t'storms 15/04/2008?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
gllitz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Canty t'storms 15/04/2008?

Unread post by gllitz »

Just so that we are competing with the NI'ers...can't have them having all the action today, can we? :D :P
Seriously, tho, the most recent GFS run has some pretty good numbers up for Canty...not sure what M/S have said just yet, but suspect something will come out soon...
Just being out and about this moring it is quite warm and humid...and now the sun has shone thru nicely to help warm things up (at least, in this part of town it has...Jeff's station is showing DP of 14C and temp of 17)

See attached....thoughts, all?

Cheers,
Glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Ryan Thomas

Re: Canty t'storms 15/04/2008?

Unread post by Ryan Thomas »

They've changed the area of their estimations from what it was when I checked earlier this morning. Was down to about southern Canterbury for low risk thunderstorms and now its north of Christchurch
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Ryan Thomas wrote:They've changed the area of their estimations from what it was when I checked earlier this morning. Was down to about southern Canterbury for low risk thunderstorms and now its north of Christchurch
Yeah, even tho the even more recent models are showing an even higher CAPE than before, just don't see it happening...oh well...let the NI'ers have their day today! (and maybe even tomorrow as well!)
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Weathermad

Unread post by Weathermad »

ominous 4.jpg
A pic above Christchurch this morning...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Weathermad on Tue 15/04/2008 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Weathermad

Unread post by Weathermad »

development.jpg
and another at about 8am...
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Thanks for those pics. Interesting as I noticed those cb's on the satellite image this morning. Its unusual to get elevated convection coming off the alps.
There were few strikes in Canterbury with it as well.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes, Richard, I saw those clouds from here this morning and took some pictures. Will post them up later :)
There were some sfericals associated with them. :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Yes saw them this morning, good to see a cb even though I couldnt do anything about it. :P
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I did see those CB clouds to the west this morning, but did anyone notice the mamatus i reackon its the best ive seen in awhile hope someone got some pics of it.
Just lacked abit on a few things today otherwise thunderstorms could have well been a possibility.
I noticed the clouds gained in height as they spilt eastwards into mid- south canterbury with quite a glaciated look and a few lighter showers along with a sneaky rainbow :D .
Sure was humid and warm once the sun appeared, got up to 27C in north canterbury i heard somewhere.
Looks like a sneaky little trough has developed just north of christchurch, this would explain perhaps the few isolated heavy showers around cheviot area at the moment.
Hmm :-k still keeping an eye out for friday evening, although next tuesday looks more promising even though thats further out.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes. Jason Here are some pictures of the mammatus forms from about 7:45am this morning from here in SE Melton.
Weather turned to boring custard this afternoon with low stratus moving over. I was so bored I went and made my self a cup of tea and read the latest Womens Day magazine :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS