Awesome February !!!

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Awesome February !!!

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Looks like this February may be the best yet. :D
More bad weather to come \:D/

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

I'm sure the people in Picton and the Manawatu would like some settled weather ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Michael wrote:I'm sure the people in Picton and the Manawatu would like some settled weather ;)
They will do probably now but then it could be Canterbury's turn next. Shame my video camera is in for repair ;)

Picking up some sferix this evening but can't f :roll: ind out from where ???? :-k

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

This is where it's coming from John, in circled area:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron Wilkinson
tich

Unread post by tich »

The atmosphere remained very unstable, even after the main storm had moved away. Hence the downpours in Picton and Wellington. It's almost as if someone has injected the drug P into the atmosphere :twisted: .
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Looks like a bit of a thunderstorm in Southland today aswell from about Omarama to Oamaru, Get anything Gary?
Aaron Wilkinson
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:Looks like a bit of a thunderstorm in Southland today aswell from about Omarama to Oamaru, Get anything Gary?
The day started beautifully, then the nastiness rolled in from the alps, and now it's raining. I heard a small amount of thunder, but nothing exciting, sadly.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I was talking about yesterday Gary!!.. :D But you heard thunder today aswell..cool!
Aaron Wilkinson
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:I was talking about yesterday Gary!!.. :D But you heard thunder today aswell..cool!
Wednesday I was in Oamaru and there was quite a lot of thunder there - not to mention rain! Pleanty of rain... :)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Good to hear Gary!

Outside at present there's some interesting clouds (dark based Cu etc), atleast it's something! :D
Aaron Wilkinson
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

A lightning strike has just occured south of Chch, Dunsandle or there abouts, something could happen, John are you ready?
Aaron Wilkinson
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

At least due to a critical SW the crickets on in Wellington and we getting runs too :D
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes Aaron, everything popped up from about 2:30pm onwards but I thought the clouds glaciated too early for any possible thunder development. I haven't heard any sfrericals :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

Where I work (near Jade Satdium) there was a brief heavy shower (of rain) about 4PM, but apparently it missed the central city - the ground was dry when I got home about 4.30. I thought I heard thunder about 20 minutes earlier, but there's an industrial area not far away, from which rumbling sounds are not uncommon. Still looks unstable, especially to the southeast. (you should have a better view Aaron)
tich

Unread post by tich »

The unstable skies and scattered showers cleared away from Chch about the time the sun went down. We were obviously in a critical southwest flow, with a disturbance causing the shower activity, probably aided by sunshine warming the ground. It's now clear and (almost) calm. (the calm before the storm? :twisted: )
tich

Unread post by tich »

A lightning strike has just occured south of Chch, Dunsandle or there abouts,
I just remembered - TV1 Weather mentioned a thunderstorm this afternoon at Lincoln, probably the lightning strike you mentioned Aaron.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

tich wrote:
A lightning strike has just occured south of Chch, Dunsandle or there abouts,
I just remembered - TV1 Weather mentioned a thunderstorm this afternoon at Lincoln, probably the lightning strike you mentioned Aaron.
What thunderstorm at Lincoln????

There were no thunderstorms around to my knowledge??

The sky was definately unstable this afternoon but the clouds were glaciating too quickly for any proper thunderstorm growth.
I never recorded any sferix whatsoever and was feeling a bit peeved that nothing was going to happen :x

Anyway, I have been getting some good sferix from 10:30pm here but they could be out to sea??

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

tich wrote:The unstable skies and scattered showers cleared away from Chch about the time the sun went down. We were obviously in a critical southwest flow, with a disturbance causing the shower activity, probably aided by sunshine warming the ground. It's now clear and (almost) calm. (the calm before the storm? :twisted: )
Interesting disturbance with a lot of Dead glaciated Clayton CB forms around. Despite the very low barometer, not enough ''ommmph' around. Energy probably used up on the storms in Wellington/Manawatu last night !!!!

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes John, the clouds seemed to glaciate very quickly and there wasn't enough 'ommmph' to get them going. I can only see one Cg strike on the map and thats all that happened in that Dunsandle / Leeston area by the looks of things, then again that metstrikeweb thing doesn't record sheet lightning and others can go undetected. Those clouds seemed to do something as they got offshore in Pegasus Bay with some lightning strikes showing up. I think those good sferix your getting John are from some thunderstorms right out off the east coast, when night comes it also seems to make the AM band get better aswell. Then again, I can actually her them aswell, and on newstalk ZB. When I hear them on that station lightning is generally closer I feel due to it being at 1098 khz or whatever instead of 1600 or 1700 khz which can pick up lightning ages away! But Steven G's lightning counter has no counts on it so far, it did though pick up that thunderstorm that occured out in the Leeston / Dunsandle area earlier in the day.

I got a shower where I was in town, big splogy spots but they were falling very singlarally if there is such a thing. It wasn't very intense but the drops were big (that's better). When I got home the clouds did look good off the coast but very glaciated as John said.

Here's a pic from today:

This was the most punchy cloud I saw all day, note areas of glaciation about.

This is just a zoomed in shot, did a bit on my computer to hence badish quality. Main area of green trees in foreground is Hagly Park (the Gardens?), mountains are of course the southern alps, with a little snow on them!
Aaron Wilkinson
wxgirl

Unread post by wxgirl »

That is a really bizzare shot Aaron ... it makes it look as if the Alps are as close to Chch as the Port Hills!
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Yes you have the 3ZB outlet of ZB on 1098AM,It can vary around the band and you can have a MUF(Maximum usable frequency) can be up in the 4 meg area for example and all skip including spherics suddenly stop.
Could you hear the sound easily on Radio I 1593 as well as 3ZB?,What was 675 like or was it quiet?
At night the signals bounce off the ionosphere including spherics 100's of km away so when its fine the crackle and hiss of distant ts can be heard well in the tasman and often why the ts sounds continous then too ;)
Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:I think those good sferix your getting John are from some thunderstorms right out off the east coast, when night comes it also seems to make the AM band get better aswell. Then again, I can actually her them aswell, and on newstalk ZB. When I hear them on that station lightning is generally closer I feel due to it being at 1098 khz or whatever instead of 1600 or 1700 khz which can pick up lightning ages away!Here's a pic from today:
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I actually didn't think to check Radio I (1593 I assume), but I've never checked 675 for lightning at all, will try next time to see how well it picks up the sfcerix! Genurally if I can here it on News Talk ZB then it can definately be heard on the higher up frequences.

Ah so thats what it's called, the ionosphere, cool! :D

As for the pic wxgirl, thats why I put it up! :D I to thought it looked 'bizzare' in that the alps look so close up to Chch, it's probably due to infinity on the focus on my camera, which keeps everything in focus past 20-30 meters or something like that.

Here's the originall with no cropping or anything:

Aaron Wilkinson
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Nice Photo Aaron LW(Long Wave)144kHz-340kHz gets better(usually) spherics on but you need a reciever or good radio for that band.There were some spherics on my radio tonight but its probably SI west coast /tasman weather ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Could be thunderstorms here in Canterbury tomorrow judging by the way Karen said tonight's weather forecast on TV One. :)
The barometer is rising up from a very low point and any NE development in a critical W/SW flow can lead to interesting convective cloud development which could lead to a thunderstorm :-k

JohnGaul
NZTS