Frontal system 11th-13th July

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Philip Duncan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Frontal system 11th-13th July

Unread post by Philip Duncan »

I think eastern areas, like Hawkes Bay, will touch into the early 20s today...already 18 degrees in Napier.

Winds were no where near as bad as predicted...i'm annoyed at myself for not taking the speed of the low into proper consideration. Despite the charts showing very closely packed isobars I just wasn't comfortable with the fact the low was so deep in the Southern Ocean and moving very quickly away from us....I may be wrong as it's the weekend and I haven't been checking everything but I think the strongest gusts were only around 115km/h in Wellington? Not quite 140/150!

Phil
www.weatherwatch.co.nz
Paul Mallinson
Meteorologist (Retired)

Unread post by Paul Mallinson »

Mt Kaukau gusted to 61kts (113km/hr) at 7pm last evening and the top of the Rimutuka Hill hit 60kts (111km/hr) at 2am. It sounded like a pretty wild night in Greytown last night (kept me awake at times) and when I left this morning, there was a lot of small branch debris on the roads in the area.

Yesterday's M/S wind warning mentioned gusts to 120km/hr with some to 140km/hr around some Wgn hilltops. Wind is a very fickle thing and going by the noise last night at my place (compared to other wind events), those numbers are probably not that far out.

Paul
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Had a very mild night last night especailly before midnight hanging around 16C with a strong gusty NWer.
Period of rain around 1am from the west heavy for awhile, was expecting maybe a clap of thunder too, temperature dropped to 13C with the rain.
All up 5.7mm of rain :) not bad considering its been awhile since a band crossed like that last night, just look at the radars from 10pm until 2am.
Slowly warming up again though now 15.8C with a strong blustery NWer.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
David

Unread post by David »

NZstorm wrote:Looks like Auckland will get around 30mm from this system.
I just can't see this happening? :? :-k
The rain is still not here, and judging by the rain radar there is only very little to come.

Hasn't been all that windy here either, max gust 37km/h yest. and only 30km/h today.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

yes, most of the rain has gone down the west coast...waiuku has caught some of it...Raglan would have had alot...
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Although still raining here we are basicaly under the influence of ridging given the barometer is 1022hpa. Looks like ridging dominates our weather out to the end of next week. We should see some sunny weather.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Hi All. Back here in CHCH again. Lovely to return to 16 degrees last night at around 9pm. Left Queenstown where the weather was beautifully fine everyday from 6th to yesterday. However, very cold at night! -4 one night as mentioned in other blogs. But yes good to be back in a milder city. Still around 16 degrees here in CHCH with sunny period but mostly high cloud about now. More of a westerly so not 20 degrees here today. It was interesting weather on the way up from Queenstown to Christchurch with fine weather the whole way up. However we stopped at Lake Tekapo breifly with a freezing SW there and then an hour and half later in Gearldine where it was like a heater with the Northwester.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

CHCH again. Lovely to return to 16 degrees last night at around 9pm.
Warm enough for snow. Often those sort of july temps in the SouthIsland herald very cold weather, no snow on the radar this time though.

It is nice to have the milder weather back after the very cold conditions earlier in the week. :D
Wildland

Unread post by Wildland »

52 mm of rain here at Tawa, north of Wgton, in the 23 hrs since 6 p.m. last night.
Steady rain, rather than sudden downpours.

The anemometer has arthritis or something. Windspeed has failed but direction is OK.
It was "breezy" overnight and after reading Paul's comments I went out and counted my cups.
All present and correct. Must be the damp. I know how it feels! :roll:
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

Those rugby boys and girls will be in for a treat tonight if this weather holds.
Back from Allens beach on the Peninsula where it was so warm that a large group of Kayakers were out in the surf.
Its been a stunning day 12th July and no heating on all any time today.
Berkshire North of Te Anau west of Hokitika.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Had a good amount of rain here today in Hamilton, between 15 and 20mm. Te Kuiti and other areas down that way have had a drenching. Looking at the Waipa river levels down there i wouldnt be suprised to see a minor flooding bulge move down it tomorrow. It has taken a sharp rise in flow and still rising.
http://www.ew.govt.nz/riverlevelsandrai ... tchment=17
http://www.ew.govt.nz/riverlevelsandrai ... tchment=16
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The small low in the prognosis for Wednesday looks like it will give the North Island a damp day. While an upper ridge over northern NZ stymies instability with this low, there looks to still be a chance of thunder for regions from Taranaki to Auckland Wednesday.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Those rugby boys and girls will be in for a treat tonight if this weather holds.
Back from Allens beach on the Peninsula where it was so warm that a large group of Kayakers were out in the surf.
Must've been warm in Dunedin today - obviously warm enough for a game of nude rugby on the beach!
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

They are a crazy lot down there in Dunedin!

That small low mid week will bring a bit of snow to Coronet peak and Mt Hutt by the looks but the upper ridge over the North Island will keep it fairly uninteresting as it moves north.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Feels like October November. Very warm! Even got the punchy Cu you see in the spring. Wouldnt mind this weather for the next week.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Was out pig hunting overnight Friday night, inland from Hawarden in the foothills. Very gusty with heavy rain. A few lightning strikes aswell.

Interesting to note the farmer told us he had a -7C frost up there last week and one day during the week the max temp got to 1C. Ground was only properly thrawing out now after that warm NW rain.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers