Stormy Weather ??

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Stormy Weather ??

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

The passage of the low is expected to bring a period of stormy weather to much of the country. A wintry southerly blast is expected to spread into eastern areas during Wednesday and Thursday. People are advised to keep up to date with weather forecasts.

A quote from tonight's MetService SWW.

I'm not knocking MetService but I find this interesting, how a deep low, even though filling as it runs up an intense high in the Pacific, has no real weather warnings with it for the term 'Stormy Weather', except for an 'Advisory' for cold weather.
There are the usual snow warnings for the passes/Otago, but no heavy snow warnings, so judging by this, it should just rain for the next couple of days, there may be the odd sleet shower.
It will interesting to see what rainfall tallys-up against the criteria for heavy rain.
BlueSkies and registered members of this forum are adiment of snow to low levels but I'm not, really
However, forecasting gale winds should provide a warning but if the gale winds are below the criteria for a warning for a gale, then it won't be a gale but a strong wind. Is that what they are forecasting? Mini-Gales? ;)
Will it be 'Stormy Weather' or not, meaning thunderstorms? :-k

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Inny Binny
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Stormy Weather ??

Unread post by Inny Binny »

Thery may be gale winds but not severe gale winds, though.
melja

Unread post by melja »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:The passage of the low is expected to bring a period of stormy weather to much of the country. A wintry southerly blast is expected to spread into eastern areas during Wednesday and Thursday. People are advised to keep up to date with weather forecasts.

A quote from tonight's MetService SWW.

I'm not knocking MetService but I find this interesting, how a deep low, even though filling as it runs up an intense high in the Pacific, has no real weather warnings with it for the term 'Stormy Weather', except for an 'Advisory' for cold weather.
There are the usual snow warnings for the passes but no heavy snow warnings, so judging by this it should just rain for the next couple of days, there may be the odd sleet shower.
It will interesting to see what rainfall tallys-up against the criteria for heavy rain.
BlueSkies and registered members of this forum are adiment of snow to low levels but I'm not, really
However, forecasting gale winds should provide a warning but if the gale winds are below the criteria for a warning for a gale, then it won't be a gale but a strong wind. Is that what they are forecasting? Mini-Gales? ;)
Will it be 'Stormy Weather' or not, meaning thunderstorms? :-k

JohnGaul
NZTS
They have a warning out for snow in otago ;)
http://www.metservice.com/default/index ... =snowotago
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:BlueSkies and registered members of this forum are adiment of snow to low levels but I'm not, really
Just to clarify, Blue Skies is not adamant on this one - in fact of all the potentially snowy storms this winter I would say this is the one we are least certain of. Its just that snow to low levels for part of the event seems the most likely (out of several possible) outcome(s).
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

melja wrote:
They have a warning out for snow in otago ;)
http://www.metservice.com/default/index ... =snowotago
I have edited my text :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
gllitz
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gllitz »

As one of the forum members who WAS adamant of snow to sea level, I have capitulated with the overnight model runs ;) ...They WERE looking promising there for a while, but I am no longer confident of it happening for CHCH, anyway...that's not to say it WON'T happen, but I just don't think it will now...I was (and always have) called it as I saw it at the time...perhaps guilty of "now"-casting...? 8-[ 8-[
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"