Metservice Website in the News

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
TokWW
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metservice Website in the News

Unread post by TokWW »

As discussed some time ago firstly about the radars and the future plans for the next new ones and also a debate about the MetService "Service" and capability of the website... 28 June 08

http://www.weatherforum.org.nz/phpBB3/v ... 753#p58753
Foggy wrote:
Vertigo wrote:
ok, fair enough does this mean that in the future we might get some of the more exotic types of radar data such as VIL, and perhaps public access to near real-time data?

I can't see this happening in the near future as the MetService is a state-owned enterprise with quite the monopoly over New Zealand's official weather data. And even though it's publicly funded, the average weather watcher is pretty well locked out unless they pay inflated $$$ (in my opinion) for data services like 'My Weather Plus'.
For more data there would have to be pressure on the CCMAU or with Minister for State Owned Enterprises, Trevor Mallard

It also doesn't help things when the CEO of MetService is also the permanent designate representative of New Zealand with the WMO.

What's cool to see is the availability of personal weather stations popping up all over the country (I opened up mine since the only data that comes from Hamilton was a 3-hourly SYNOP, only available on the MetService site, still isn't being transmitted to the WMO due to a minimalistic approach towards the WMO annex guidelines!) and it's interesting to see MetService catching onto the idea with live weather & webcam data coming out of NZAA, NZNR and NZKL now on their respective city forecast pages.

TokWW wrote:
HAHA! I think the Met Service needs to upgrade its hosting and bandwidth first!!!

Shouldn't be really an issue since they peer directly with the Wellington Internet Exchange, and peer alongside several ISPs as well as TradeMe, Niwa, VUW and the Govt sites.
Not trying to re-open the argument I put forward about site performance and has re-appeared, but Foggy does have some other points.

Graeme
A Father can have a hobby because he is the Transport, Referee, Manager, Committee Member Dad!!
LaCrosse WS-2308CH, Sharp VideoCam, ULD Lightning Radar
http://www.inmanavenue.com/
Arty

Unread post by Arty »

I have seen a number of comments on what is/is not being done about website performance. Since its a technology question and the radio interview with me that kicked this off I thought I would register with the forum, and clarify a couple of points.

Firstly, yes the MetService is funding projects that are already well underway and specifically designed to increase the website performance as growth in the use of the website occurs. We do take the performance requirements very seriously. Challenges inlcude the extreme "peaky" nature of our access (mostly early morning before 9am infact) and the high volume of data updates but we are well down the track.

MetService also distributes forecasts and warnings through several other mechanisms, including an email service, fax, phone and also by sending the same data to other organisations such as the television and radio networks thus ensuring there are multiple and independent paths to access the information. We are careful to ensure this remains the case, but recognise the growing use of our own website for this too. The website has been stress-tested and the traffic usage pattern analysed to determine the appropriate capacity. This occurred in February of 2008 as part of the annual business planning process. The information has been used as input to design new infrastructure based on technology that is more scalable and performs better under the sort of load & data conditions we have just had. A prototype in May/June of 2008 confirmed feasibility. Also during severe weather events, usage is logged and analysed to determine usage patterns including the length of time people spend on the site, numbers of visitors, pages viewed etc and this information is fed back to the infrastructure capacity and capital planning process.

Perhaps also its worthwhile pointing out that these technology plans are not actually secret, and I do get the odd call in the office from members of the public asking questions about our technology that I am happy to answer. I am happy for people to call me on this particular topic too. Just bear in mind I am not a meteorologist and I make these comments as MetService' CIO commenting on the technology aspects of the business, not its weather forecasting.

Russell Turner
CIO
MetService NZ Ltd
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

Hi
thanks for taking the time to come on to the forum and help explain the situation and whats what etc :)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Sometimes I really do wonder...does anyone there do any proof reading of the site? This has been up for the past hour or so.

Extended Brief Forecast for all New Zealand

To add this to your
My Weather page you
must be logged in.

Issued at 10:35 am 12 Aug 2008 NZST

Thursday

North Island

Friday

North Island

Saturday

North Island :ffs:
Christchurch Rocks
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

FFS Metservice...two hours later the above post stands! :rolleyes:

I hate to bash them as its the nature of the beast that they get unfairly criticised sometimes, but for heavens sakes, how hard is it to have someone proof read the website?

If this was a one off I'd shut up but its a reasonably regular occurence (say once a month) where information is misprinted
Christchurch Rocks
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Unbeleiveable! The afternoon update still has the same problem!

Oh well I give up, clearly no one else cares :-#
Christchurch Rocks
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

Well I suppose they have very tight schedules and more pressing priorities, but it's still got the same problem at the moment.
Manukau heads obs

i would say its a web site software link up database type of error....
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Cripes its still munted. They really are running a shabby website lately! [-X
Christchurch Rocks
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Actually you can ring them and speak to the Weklington forecast room , they do pass on messages to those that can fix things
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Seems only the CHCH and AUCK rain radar are going at 11am.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
trickytiger

Unread post by trickytiger »

The Wellington radar is off and on today, I think they had some maintenance planned for it today.
Vertigo

Unread post by Vertigo »

metservice, a tip: return false; ;)
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Does anyone have the inside intell on when the 7-day rain maps get updated? I see the latest forecasts issued my Metservice indicate some heavy rain Sunday and Monday for Canty, whereas the rain maps show no such event.
Christchurch Rocks
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Hello hello:

Quoting the weblink to Metservice:

We regret that this site is currently unavailable.
Please try again later.
Contact [email protected]
or phone +64 4 4700 700 for further information
Christchurch Rocks
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Yet again they have failed us!!!!! What sort of mickey mouse outfit is running the webstie???? If it was once in a blue moon, well we'd give them that. this is becoming a regular occurence!

Are we to presume all weather for the weekend has been cancelled in light of recent months???? :B

Issued at 1:45 pm 3 Sep 2008 NZST

Friday

Showers in most North Island areas. Only a few showers for Northland and Auckland. Rain in Nelson Buller and Westland easing to showers. Southerlies and rain for Marlborough Canterbury and north Otago. Dry for the rest of Otago Southland and Fiordland.

Saturday

North Island

Sunday

North Island
Chatham Islands

Rain developing on Friday with easterly winds. A change to showery southwesterlies on Saturday. Becoming fine on Sunday and southwesterlies dying out.
Christchurch Rocks
Manukau heads obs

have you tried to contact met service?
not going to acheive much by complaining about it here I would think
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

will give that a go... :-s
Wondered if a few of them didn't browe here and read our stuff (ie Paul Mallinson)
Christchurch Rocks