"Jim, just tell me the weather" ?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Myself
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: "Jim, just tell me the weather" ?

Unread post by Myself »

gllitz wrote:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:As far as I'm concerned, Jim is typical of a 'hard-case' New Zealander, so he is the obvious choice of a New Zealand TV Weather presenter.
He uses Kiwi quokwilalizizms, ie.expressions that ordinary kiwi's understand.
What's the problem ?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Yeesh, and you give US a hard time about spelling :D ;-) ..."colloquialisms," I think is what you were looking for... ;P

As an aside I, for one, love them...stuff like "get along like a house on fire," "you're cooking with gas," "....is the bee's knees"...etc...these expressions are great (never heard them until I got here to NZ 8 1/2 years ago). I think they just add to the richness of the language. Should they be used by people like Jim on TV? Certainly...especially if they help get the point across, and it helps to appeal to a wider audience. But things like "mini-tornado"...well...it just isn't cricket, now is it?
From where did you come? None of those phrases are Kiwi, they're all in the UK.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Spelling words correctly helps communication!

I still liked the NBC weather presenter I saw decades ago better than almost everyone I've seen since. He was a meteorologist.
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

I'd like to see Bob McDavitt present the weather, you'd know you're getting an accurate insight into what really goes on.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

'd like to see Bob McDavitt present the weather, you'd know you're getting an accurate insight into what really goes on.
Bob did do TV weather for a while.

I think TV1 weather is generally good, quite informative.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Re Jim,
The problem is that as far as I can tell, a significant number of people who want to understand, cant.
The people must still be watching him otherwise he would be gone.
C-Nimbus

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

I dont know who Jane Clifton is and i dont really care :B but for me this is the media scraping the bottom of the barrel cos they have nothing else to do. If you cant actually get the forecast from Jim then you have a screw loose. I'm always able to get the info i need from him and he does it in a way that i understand and i also find entertaining - which is great IMO.

He's a great kiwi icon i think and the majority of people i know enjoy his presentation. Brendon Horan is not a weather person (more like an Amway salesman!) whereas Jim is an aviator and has a genuine interest in the weather.

I find most other weather presenters aspire to being like Jim but dont cut the mustard. That Toni Marsh is ok i reckon as she's developed her own way of presenting and good on her for this. everyone else is an amateur as far as i'm concerned.

As long as jimbo is the weather man for TV1 i will keep watching him, and if you dont like him, turn the telly over....its quite simple really....maybe Jane needs some training on how to use a remote control o_O
southernthrash

Unread post by southernthrash »

TV1 has far superior graphics to TV3 anyway, and I watch 3 news for everything but the weather, when I flick to one. Brendan Horan was pretty average.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

southernthrash wrote: Brendan Horan was pretty average.

...and he was male :smile:

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
southernthrash

Unread post by southernthrash »

Toni Marsh is nothing to get excited about, I like girls that have all their teeth.