Low/NW flow ... 23th-25th Aug

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate

predictions?

widespread heavy rain and thunderstorms, moderate winds
35%
widespread heavy rain and thunderstorms, gales
19%
widespread drizzle, moderate winds
No votes
isolated rain, some thunderstorms in places
16%
just rainy and boring
10%
itll fizzle and well complain about it!
6%
i like spoons
13%

Total votes: 31

David

Re: Low/NW flow ... 23th-25th Aug

Unread post by David »

ricky wrote: I wonder if the Atmospeheric Physics students will be there again with the mobile rain radar? that would be an interesting paper or two...
Nope did not see the mobile radar but saw the output images from it (nothing much on it late morning)....they also said about a week after they had it running when they were at Ardmore airport that was when the small tornado went past! (25 June 2005) Got to see the doppler loop of the hook echo forming and dissipating. 8)
(apparently the main purpose of their mobile radar was to study tropical cyclones)

The radar guy also mentioned that someone from overseas had come over with leading technology in radar and offered it to metservice for free, but they did not take it! 8o D: 0_o
Myself
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Low/NW flow ... 23th-25th Aug

Unread post by Myself »

David wrote:
ricky wrote: The radar guy also mentioned that someone from overseas had come over with leading technology in radar and offered it to metservice for free, but they did not take it! 8o D: 0_o
Sounds like an urban myth.