You guessed it...Another Low from 2nd Sept.

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
CHCH Weather Chaser
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

You guessed it...Another Low from 2nd Sept.

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Just ran through the M/S timeframe maps and shows another low developing from the southern tasman and at this stage affecting westland and possibly inland Canterbury. Be interesting to see what happens....Dont think the rain is over just yet....speaking of that its starting to drizzle outside again now. Oh what a year.....
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: You guessed it...Another Low from 2nd Sept.

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

No, I'm sorry the incoming intense anticyclone will hinder any low pressure development >_<

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

Doesn't look like much will come of it. It's being squeezed out by a high pushing in behind....

Look at those charts, if you squint it has similarities to our summer pattern. Progression of highs centred around 40S, troughs in between have little time for development....

Anyway, the rainfall looks to be fed by little more than just an onshore NW flow. But the model spreads a tongue for rainfall right across the South Island and beyond. I put little faith in model rainfall fields, but it could be latching on to possible mid-level moisture brought in by that low whilst it attempts to develop, or there could be an upper level feature there. I don't know what the planetary wave situation is at the moment.
On the otherhand it may simply be from that passing trough to our south. I'm not convinced that will give anything notable, even when the flow turns more onshore for Canterbury late in the period.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Just another usual low system to attack southern Westland and Fiordland, actually a more spring like pattern so what a start :smile: .
Might be abit of heavy rain in these areas as with the help of high pressure systems the west coast benefits from moisture enhancement.
But by Tuesday,Wednesday next week in Canterbury the temperatures may slip into the late teens early 20's with a fresh N-NW flow, yes it will be coming off the snow fed Southern Alps but i believe in high pressure systems such as this one usually drag warmer air across from the Tasman if i am correct :-) .
I will be in Queenstown next week so perhaps some breif spotty rain Tuesday night apart from that should be a nice week to be down there.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

I say, spring is here, no more lows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Vertigo

Unread post by Vertigo »

yea, itll be a slow-moving front over westland, bringing sustained rain there. nothing else.

another interesting feature is a shallow low from the tropics bearing down from the north, but probably too shallow and too far east to really produce anything.
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

MarkThomas wrote:Just ran through the M/S timeframe maps and shows another low developing from the southern tasman and at this stage affecting westland and possibly inland Canterbury. Be interesting to see what happens....Dont think the rain is over just yet....speaking of that its starting to drizzle outside again now. Oh what a year.....
It might snow a little on Thursday in Christchurch :-$ ,thats all I'm going to say on the matter, for fear of a lynch mob :-#
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Karshvardidgâh wrote:
It might snow a little on Thursday in Christchurch :-$ ,thats all I'm going to say on the matter, for fear of a lynch mob :-#
You are OK. No lynch mob ...unless you laugh out load. :mad:
It could do?

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
CHCH Weather Chaser

Yes the M/S maps for 7 day have definately changed somewhat overnight i see. Snow for Thursday? I would of thought its going to be too warm.

Mind you i just looked at Christchurch City Weather site and they have got a watch in place.....

http://www.chrisctchurchcityweather.com ... index.html
Leighton Thomas

TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

MarkThomas wrote:Mind you i just looked at Christchurch City Weather site and they have got a watch in place.....

http://www.chrisctchurchcityweather.com ... index.html
Funny how the Christchurch City Weather Team seem to take their lead from comments posted on this forum, rather than any critical assessment of the forecast data. 8)
CHCH Weather Chaser

lol, yes tony i agree with you there. Has anyone found out who they are? Must be someone that uses this forum....wonder if its a member or a guest?
Leighton Thomas

melja

Unread post by melja »

MarkThomas wrote:lol, yes tony i agree with you there. Has anyone found out who they are? Must be someone that uses this forum....wonder if its a member or a guest?
I think its you :-w LOL
CHCH Weather Chaser

lol, no i can assure you it is not me. I wouldn't have the foggiest as to how to set up a website. I must admit i would love one i think it would be cool but its definately not my site lol. I think you have to pay for them for domain names too etc etc not something a 19 year old uni student can afford to be doing lol. Moneys hard enough as it is! Went to the Canterbury vs Tasmen game today and it was very nice out there in the sun :)
Leighton Thomas

NZ Thunderstorm Soc

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

You can't win can ya John :rolleyes: , just stick with the wonderful English poetic writing form its much easier than the text language of today even though i use both :-) .
It is interesting how we read writing these days though what about this.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

How it was great to see the sun today and blue dome at that, unlike Saturdays sun which was clearly obscurred by smog q- .
More of a spring like pattern ahead this week, but we could do without more rain next week as well.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms