Hey spring where the bloody hell are ya?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hey spring where the bloody hell are ya?

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

because it originates as a warm NW wind
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

tgsnoopy wrote:Hmm, well as you know I have a friend who already got laid off from there...

Beaut night here last night. Still cool enough to sleep easily. Down to approx 8°C overnight and warmed up to 12.3°C already. Bliss now the noisy neighbours are gone and I can sleep with the window open again.
Our mutual friend started his new postion today....in what i believe to be a complex with no windows to view the changing weather.
Berkshire North of Te Anau west of Hokitika.
David

Unread post by David »

Lovely sunny spring day here. Very warm, 19.0oC after 4.6oC overnight. :D

Hey Brian, looks like there's a moth on your window!! :lol:
webcamimagejpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

springs here gopolks lol was beautiful today, i cant remember when we have had a couple of nice days with sunny blue dome skies :) really warmed up today, maybe warmer tomorrow?
Working outside today on the scaff painting brackets and paint was drying very very fast :lol: :D
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

What were the official high temps for yesterday in the south island? I just had a look at weatherwatch.co.nz and it said unoficially 27 and officially 25 in christchurch......is that a joke or did it actually happen? i would have thought if those temps did happpen you southern people would have been excited and posting your highs on the forum.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Was a glorious 25 degrees here yesterday, yes I can confirm that for you. And its highly likely it was warmer inland in places like Rangiora.

Just marvellous.

Its not that uncommon in September to be that warm down here, hence the lack of posts I suspect
Christchurch Rocks
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Was a glorious 25 degrees here yesterday, yes I can confirm that for you. And its highly likely it was warmer inland in places like Rangiora.

Just marvellous.

Its not that uncommon in September to be that warm down here, hence the lack of posts I suspect
It can't be that common as the average September max for Chch Gardens is 14.9C, min being 5.2C ,perhaps RWood might have some stats.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

All you need is the first spring Norwester. Most years would see at least one decent warm spell in Sept.

Of course the Cold spells often follow...and the onset of "storm season" is not usually far behind
Christchurch Rocks
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Although September temps in the low 20's at Chch Aero aren't that uncommon, I think you'd have go back to Sep 30, 2001 to find comparable temps to yesterday's.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

spwill wrote:It can't be that common as the average September max for Chch Gardens is 14.9C, min being 5.2C ,perhaps RWood might have some stats.
Those averages dont give you much of an idea about the extremes. I mean you could have a 25 degree day and then the next day could only get to 10 or 11 with a cold southerly. I remember having days like this in september. Its another beautiful day today with a northely breeze and already sitting on 19.5 degrees. If the southerly doesnt come through till tonight then i reckon 25 is on the cards again today!
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Things are heating up today. Very nice. Symonds st clock is showing its 20... although i dont have much trust in it it is usually within 1degree.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Those averages dont give you much of an idea about the extremes.
Enough to suggest 25C is not a common Sep temp when the average max is 14.9C. I do realise that temps change alot down there according to flow direction.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

21 and rising.... _b
Christchurch Rocks
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

The last two days have been lovely!!!
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

j--me--h wrote:What were the official high temps for yesterday in the south island? I just had a look at weatherwatch.co.nz and it said unoficially 27 and officially 25 in christchurch...
Actually, yesterday's official T-max (taken at Chch Aero) was only 23.9°C, so not sure where the 25°C came from. Still the highest since 2001's 25.2°C though and we're only halfway through the month.
melja

Unread post by melja »

Was 27.5 in rangiora on tuesday, recorded at rangiora airport and my station.
24 today.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes much more spring like temperatures in the last 3 days with 18C on Monday, 25C yesterday and 22C today.
These temperatures will boost grass growth and new season tree growth decidous and native, especially after having so many overcast days around late August to early September.
I think you will find because the NW flow is ridged by a high ie above 1000hpa it is generally dragging in warmer air therefore boosting the temperatures up in the east.
Normally a typical NW flow in early September would be below 1000hpa and could well be a stronger flow dragging some cooler air off the snow laden Southern Alps bringing the temperature to around the late teens to very early 20's.
Obviously this changes by the time we reach late September to early October when temperatures are of more occurance in the mid 20's then.
There is another simular pattern by the weekend which may well see temperatures again into the mid 20's, this is then followed by a stronger flow on Tuesday possibly.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
tich

Unread post by tich »

Spring's taking a break today in Chch - about 12C colder than yesterday. By contrast, Milford Sound and Haast got to 17C today in the sunshine.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Unread post by GSVNoFixedAbode »

Janos wrote:
tgsnoopy wrote:Hmm, well as you know I have a friend who already got laid off from there...

Beaut night here last night. Still cool enough to sleep easily. Down to approx 8°C overnight and warmed up to 12.3°C already. Bliss now the noisy neighbours are gone and I can sleep with the window open again.
Our mutual friend started his new postion today....in what i believe to be a complex with no windows to view the changing weather.
:wave:
After years and years of nice views out windows, I'm now working in an air-conditioned batcave with no windows within 2 minutes walk. :-S

Totally reliant on webcams for the weather now and twice I've been surprised by the weather in Dunners this week: completely missed the 25 deg. midday sun on Wednesday, then got an even bigger surprise going out at lunchtime today to about 8 degrees and drizzle. :?:
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated.
Out the Dunedin window. And out the Arrowtown window. Arrowtown Weather Still battling for the Tunnels Trail
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

So how soon will you have a weather station online at work so you (we) can keep track of the weather outside?

I think it's the least your employer can do in light of the fact their's no windows :)
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

Another lovely day in chch as always, hope the weather is wet and cold in auckland so the roosters will freeze their butts off.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

hope the weather is wet and cold in auckland so the roosters will freeze their butts off.
Never cold up here in the sub tropics :D . There are a few small shower clouds around but it's mostly dry and sunny. 17C.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Average T-max in Sydney this month has been around 20°C, ranging from about 14°C to 32°C.
Averaging 8 hours of sunshine per day (half of those around 10-11 hrs). And few rain days apart from an 80 odd mm dump a couple of weekends ago. 8)
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

beautiful dome sky over us this wonderful friday evening! :) what a day to cap off the working week.
I alomst feel like a nice bbq and sum friends round if i could! great way to start the weekend!! :D
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz