Christchurch Extremely hot days in Summer

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Ryan Thomas
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Christchurch Extremely hot days in Summer

Unread post by Ryan Thomas »

Was wondering, when was the last time Christchurch had days that had maximum temperatures over 35, 36 ,37, 38..etc, and the frequency of them, I remember when I was young I think between 95-98 there were a few days over 35 or even 36... Can't recall any 37 or over tho. Anyone know anywhere I can find this out? I'm just keen on finding out about really hot Christchurch days, cheers _b
Gary McConnochie

Re: Christchurch Extremely hot days in Summer

Unread post by Gary McConnochie »

Had a max temp here in Rolleston this year on the 17th Jan of 35.8c :smile:
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

42 degrees in the hottest temp recorded in Christchurch ever. I seem to remember a week that may have been around that period ypour talking about ryan where we had like 3 or 4 consectuve days of around 34-36 degrees. I was camping out at spencer park at the time lol.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Ryan Thomas

Was that the "hottest" 3-4 Christchurch days ever? Or on record?
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

Ryan Thomas wrote:Was that the "hottest" 3-4 Christchurch days ever? Or on record?
I'd guess it's doubtful. When it hit 42C, that would likely have been the peak of a period of a few warm days in a row, I know that the temperature plunged not long after a swatche of 40C+ temps were recorded in 1973.

RWood would be the man to ask about this stuff!

I would personally be interested in what was so special about the day that Christchurch hit 42C?
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Myself wrote: I would personally be interested in what was so special about the day that Christchurch hit 42C?
Perfect timing with height of Summer and tropic-laden northwesterlies- i'll quote my 1978 NZ weather book...
For several days in February 1973 a slow-moving anticyclone lay over the north Tasman Sea and warm moist air from the tropics was brought southwards around its western side. On 7 February this warm moist air was forced to cross the Southern Alps in the northwesterly air stream that developed ahead of a cold front approaching Southland across the south Tasman Sea.

[synopsis map]

Twenty South Island weather stations and one in the North Island exceeded previous temperatures recorded. (Ruatoria I believe) Those above 40C were: Wanganui [error removed in next 2nd edition] 41.2C, Christchurch 41.6C, Lincoln 40.4C, Ashburton 41.3C, Rangiora 42.4C and Jordan 42.3C. The new maximum temperature temperature for New Zealand was recorded at Rangiora at approximately 1 p.m., the previous high being 38.4C at Ashburton on 19 January 1956.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I remember that hot day. We were shunting in the Christchurch rail yard. The shunters wouldn't work because the handrails on the DSC locomotive were too hot so we finished work early and went to the pub. :D

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

Thanks Foggy, very interesting. I do wonder why it hasn't happened since (many 40C+ across east of SI).
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

one of the key ingredients would have been the high dew point in February in an airmass from the north like that....which would result in more heat being released.....yes?
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

If I recall that was Rangiora that got to 42C and Christchurch sat on 40C, although there is always talk of much higher temperatures across Canterbury from localised towns.
Like for example in Hanmer Springs where according to locals it can reach 43-44C there, although I would like to see the data on that.
I must admit though I have been in Hanmer Springs on some schorchering days around 38C atleast, this is because the town is shelterd all around by the mountainous country and sits in a bowl almost like Wanaka or Alexandra.
You only have to go back to January this year when we had atleast 2 days in a row of 35C and 36-37C in some areas.
I remember it reached 24-26C when it was a NE onshore flow with blue dome skies which normally knocks the temperature right back.
There was one day in December that was 32C with about 85% humidity, if you look back i am sure you will find that day.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Ryan Thomas wrote:Was wondering, when was the last time Christchurch had days that had maximum temperatures over 35, 36 ,37, 38..etc, and the frequency of them, I remember when I was young I think between 95-98 there were a few days over 35 or even 36... Can't recall any 37 or over tho. Anyone know anywhere I can find this out? I'm just keen on finding out about really hot Christchurch days, cheers _b
I have weather records from 1988 to 2006 recorded at my Selwyn street site.
Will get back to you on that.

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

For several days in February 1973 a slow-moving anticyclone lay over the north Tasman Sea and warm moist air from the tropics was brought southwards around its western side. On 7 February this warm moist air was forced to cross the Southern Alps in the northwesterly air stream that developed ahead of a cold front approaching Southland across the south Tasman Sea.
You need a good NW to reach the Coast to keep that cold sea air out.
Strong day time heating will be an important factor, sunshine on a dry land surface ( little greenery) across the Plains.
Ryan Thomas

Cheers for that, Knew you were in Somerfield but Selwyn st? I think thats the closest site results I'll ever get to.. Roker St :smile:

edit:

85% humidity at 32 Degrees? Doesn't sound right. The Heat Index for that is 45 degrees.. And for Christchurch or anywhere in New Zealand (in my n00b opinion that may be right) that seems a bit to high..
Last edited by Ryan Thomas on Wed 24/09/2008 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

85% humidity at 32 Degrees? Doesn't sound right. The Heat Index for that is 45 degrees.. And for Christchurch or anywhere in New Zealand (in my n00b opinion that may be right) that seems a bit to high..
Yes, the air is dry in Christchurch with the very high temps.
Northern NZ would see 32C with dewpoints up to 20C
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

32C with 85% RH would imply a dewpoint temperature of 29C, Jason... ;-) even tropical Darwin would never get it that rough.

I'd say it probably only got up to 35% relative humidity, anymore with a 32C temperature you'd be getting dewpoint of over 17C which is only really possible in nor'easters for Cantebury.

Sydney can get 30C/ DP 20C mixes but I highly doubt anywhere in NZ could barely achieve that - though wouldn't be suprised if places like Hamilton/Tokoroa get them in rare conditions.

In early December 2003 we had quite a rare spell of tropical heat - afternoon thunderstorms and 28C temps /22C dewpoints. :D Would like to see that in early February and the implications!

/ramble mode off ;P
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Oh ok well i do remember it was a very muggy hot day with sweat pouring off me and the maximum for the day was 32C under a N-NE flow.
There was also some big CU that went up in the afternoon i will see if i can find that topic.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

We keep repeating the same questions and misconceptions at least once per year on this topic.

7 Feb 1973: Rangiora 42.4C Jordan 42.3C Ch'ch Gardens 41.6C Ashburton 41.3C (from memory, am out of country) -
many others over 37.7C/100F, eg Chch Aero 40.5C.

For the last time - Hanmer has never got anywhere near 40C let alone 43-44C. You can find its record on the MetService site.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I'm not really sure that the 1978 weather book has the description right?. My recall from a paper specially written for the topic was of light W/WNW air transported straight from Aust. hinterland across the Tasman above the moister layers below, not a typical NW-er at all. Alpine foehn would have cranked it up a bit further on the downwind side I suppose. Certainly a cold front followed and dropped temps down to the 14-16C range. Just don't have access to the materials at present.