Are we feeding the green eyed monster?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Are we feeding the green eyed monster?

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

the winds that gusted ato 160km/h on the Manukau Heads
how come the Manukau heads value reported by you Duncan gets bigger and bigger with every post?
I thought it was 75 knots (139kmh) on that day?
also the location where the shed that was being errected by a builder that blew down was not far from me....I recorded 110kmh or so gusts (but my Maximum anenometer, which records instantenous gusts, reached ,122kmh) so would have been similar at that location...
(northerlies are not so good at that site, the Signal station building is around the corner a bit in a northerly, WNW winds are the strongest at that site)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Philip Duncan

Unread post by Philip Duncan »

They don't get bigger and bigger with every post - that was a mistake, I meant 140.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

I think some of us were just a little curious as to why Weatherwatch continued referring to gusts of 150 km/h at the Manukua Heads long after a peak of 139 km/h was confirmed by Phil in another thread on Tues evening. Hence Brian's remark of surprise I guess.

Not meaning to drag this thread out (although I think there has been lot of good positive feedback from both camps in this thread) but, here's an interesting little NRL story. Its metaphoric intro perpetuates what I believe is still an incorrect generalisation about Auckland's winds on Tuesday. (Even metars at the Airport's relatively exposed Airport only recorded gusts to 89 km/h - winds 61 km/h) ...
'League: Being Benji Marshall' - NZ Herald
Sunday Oct 12, 2008 - By Michael Brown

When Benji Marshall flew into Auckland with the rest of the Sydney-based Kiwis on Tuesday, he was buffeted by 120km/h winds. If he were one for symbolism, he might have chuckled and thought it was appropriate as he has battled more turbulence over the past three years than a Wellington-based pilot.

Up until 2006, it had generally been smooth flying. He had just spectacularly guided his Wests Tigers side to the 2005 NRL title ...
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

there would have been 120kmh winds at 2000 feet here on the west coast as the approached I would say (the clouds were fair honking it over head here that day (i.e the waitak ranges are just high enough in height to pull that faster moving air above down onto the manukau heads and peninsular that day (even Waiuku in sheltered places gusted to 45 knots that afternoon)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Ok - fair comment about the higher altitude winds :-#
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

I can assure you it was bloody windy and bumpy!