Excellent Electrical Storm Over The MacKenzie Tonight!

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Excellent Electrical Storm Over The MacKenzie Tonight!

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

I took all my systems offline and unplugged everything but the earth, it was so good. I noticed cloud moving in from the SSW colliding with those racing in from the E. Massive potentials, and a spectacular display. Baromin 961 at 22:22. You guys shoulda bin here...

:D
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Great to hear Gary, what time at night was it? I can see various Cb's on various sat pics.
Aaron Wilkinson
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Whats all those counts on your lightning detector Steven G! You weren't trying to bring Frankinstine to life in your basement last night were you??!! :lol:

I think they might be from overnight west coast storms and currently things look to be active out Ne in Pegasus Bay.
Aaron Wilkinson
Gary Roberts

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:Great to hear Gary, what time at night was it? I can see various Cb's on various sat pics.
I shut down everything at 20:48, and restarted one system again at 22:14. (When the 'worst' was over.)

We got a little more action for a while after that time, but most of the activity had moved away.
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:Whats all those counts on your lightning detector Steven G! You weren't trying to bring Frankinstine to life in your basement last night were you??!! :lol:

I think they might be from overnight west coast storms and currently things look to be active out Ne in Pegasus Bay.
:-k 3000 pulses per minute works out at 50Hz so it's more likely to have been neighbours with a washing machine/dishwasher generating its own electrical storm ;)

Cheers
Steven
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I was out last evening, never saw, heard a thing :o
My niece was over from New York...

...busy watching the OSCARS, neglecting my duty as NZTS president ...SHAME on ME [-X [-X

Did you record anything from it ??

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Steven Graham wrote:
:-k 3000 pulses per minute works out at 50Hz so it's more likely to have been neighbours with a washing machine/dishwasher generating its own electrical storm ;)
With Trevor McGavin's lightning detector in Lower Hutt, I think that his lightning detector sometimes goes off when one of those electrical unit passenger trains go past and they arc :)

;) JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

As I put in another thread, I heard sferics (sp?) on the radio early this morning - that might be the reason. (though it didn't look thundery in Chch - just grey skies and some areas of light rain)
Last edited by tich on Tue 02/03/2004 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

I got home from work today and there was 29mm of rain in my rain guage,some quite heavy downpours last night.Still overcast with a very light breeze.
Cheers.
Gary Roberts

It was THE talk of the town today, but must have been a very localized event since nobody else here at NZ Weather experienced it! We need weather stations at Twizel and Lake Tekapo! Actually, Mt John University Observatory at Tekapo have a weather station...must have another little chat with Al... :)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Thats the answer! so it was possibly a washing machine or other appliance, did seem a bit odd how all those strikes were so uniform.

Ben, those scferix you got looked to be from some lightning activity way out to the NE in Pegusas Bay.

And yes Gary, it was very localised as can be seen on the MetstrikeWeb map, good someone here got to see it!
Aaron Wilkinson