Mid November Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mid November Weather

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

we got to 22.9C here
might depend on how much cloud cover you have (looks like more over your way David)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Another day here in Timaru with not a cloud in the sky except for very early morning which quickly burnt off. Slightly cooler on 22 degrees but very comfortable!! Looking like next 5 days to be dry and warm with 20 + temps. After a very wet second half of winter we now look and wonder whether we are going to have drought issues. There is so sign on any rain in the near future forecast. Currently very nice here this evening. One thing i dont miss about CHCH is that NE freshening in the afternoon. I got one and half weeks more without it ;). Weekend, especially Sunday looks to have the potential to be quite warm with Northwesterlies in the mix! Low chance of severe gale NW for north Canterbury Sunday and Monday. Queenstown's forecast high on Friday is 30 degrees!
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Very good weather today for Hamilton, Only Cirrus in the sky and some humulis hanging around.
24 degrees today!
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Manukau heads obs

i think met service need to flick to "summer mode forecasting"..i.e downgrade chances of rain ( Auckland area talking about here)
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

MarkThomas wrote:Another day here in Timaru with not a cloud in the sky except for very early morning which quickly burnt off. Slightly cooler on 22 degrees but very comfortable!! Looking like next 5 days to be dry and warm with 20 + temps. After a very wet second half of winter we now look and wonder whether we are going to have drought issues. There is so sign on any rain in the near future forecast. Currently very nice here this evening. One thing i dont miss about CHCH is that NE freshening in the afternoon. I got one and half weeks more without it ;). Weekend, especially Sunday looks to have the potential to be quite warm with Northwesterlies in the mix! Low chance of severe gale NW for north Canterbury Sunday and Monday. Queenstown's forecast high on Friday is 30 degrees!
Their forecast for Christchurch today was very good with temperatures only getting to 18C due to northeasterly and no foehn warming above the surface.

I sincerely doubt that Queenstown will hit 30C on Friday. Mid 20s looks likely though.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Jamie and I spent all day yesterday uninstalling then installing the weather station from here to Jamie's farm and stuck on roofing iron for the most part means we're pretty burnt (my arms are the worst) >_<

View yesterday looking to the NW towards Taupiri

Heading for 27C tomorrow in Hamilton! With those high 850mb temperatures of over 13C just off the western coast temps will get high under clear skies. I wonder what the record November high temperature is? :-k

Overcast change so far today and 15C.
Ryan Thomas

Unread post by Ryan Thomas »

Metservice says 28 on Saturday with NE for Christchurch.. How come we get some warm NE days and some cooler ones?
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Big change today from yesturday. I cannot even see the sun with thick low cloud. As Will said it was rather hot yesturday with some awesome sunburn to prove it.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I think you will find beause it is more a moist to mild N-NE flow with the onset of the rain band hitting the west coast combined with a wedging high pressure and high dew points this could be the reason why for the high of 28C on Saturday.
Met service seems reasonably confident on thunderstorms today especailly for inland North Canterbury areas and a high risk up through Marlborough.
Sea fog which set in about an hour ago is now burning off, can't see much inland yet though.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Manukau heads obs

wow, so the station is shifted to Jamies place...will be good when its all running again :)
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Yet another day in low to mid twenties with plenty of sunshine and little in Waimate. Coastal sea fog/cloud has moved in now with this Northeast flow and quite a stiff NE at that. Looking like a very warm weekend with temps up to 30 in Canterbury. 30 for Timaru on Saturday, 29 Ashburton and 28 for Christchurch.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

There was a weak Thunderstorm around the Marlborough,Nelson lakes district this afternoon so certainly the high risk area payed off.
Also some scatterd weak cumulus inland and to the SW also late this afternoon didnt come to much though.
Off to Hanmer for a few days tomorrow and after todays 28C up there i would imagine the temperatures will be very simular there for the rest of the long weekend.
Just to add to that its now moderate southerly.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
tich

Unread post by tich »

Rogue shower on North Cantebrury Coast (about Motunau) this evening, according to radar, but now cleared. Radar also showing some small yellow spots this evening in inland Mid Canterbury - not sure whether there have been brief showers there, but clear in central Chch with only some patches of thin high cloud visible.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

From my view here from West Melton, there was some weak development but nothing to get excited about.
Cooler SW moved through here about 8.30pm with associated low cloud cover and a slight temperature drop and associated barometer rise.

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Cameron M

Unread post by Cameron M »

I observed a few CB clouds developing some with nice anvils to my south during the late afternoon. nothing much happened at my place just clear, sunny and hot.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

There was a weak Thunderstorm around the Marlborough,Nelson lakes district this afternoon so certainly the high risk area payed off
Thunderstorm activity today was only over the central North Island.

Overcast day here with a rather humid morning clearing late day and cooler.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Lifted index values try to dip below zero again this afternoon over inland parts such as Waikato and Otago but I am not forecasting thunderstorms as the moisture looks too light generally across the country for inland thunder.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Once the low cloud cleared today (which it did very quickly) we have hazy blue skies with no wind and not long after midday we started to see punchy Cu along the SE skyline, which is still fireing but just recycling and not getting to anything special.

Fustrating that we still have not got the wind recording here yet. Spent all of today trying to get that done, but looks like its going to be a job for next week.
David

Unread post by David »

Another warm day, overcast start but burning off to clear blue skies from about 10.30am onwards, managed to reach 22.4oC here before the NE sea breeze arrived in the early afternoon.

Wonder what it would have reached had no sea breeze developed....sunny days with a SE breeze would bring the highest temps to Auckland I would think.

Getting rather dry with no rainfall for the past 7 days now.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

sunny days with a SE breeze would bring the highest temps to Auckland I would think.
SE tends to be a dry air flow. Humid N/NE brings our highest temps, more so over South Auckland. I have seen 30C on a SouthWester as that can also be a humid flow.

GreyLynn 25C today. Proper sea breeze can come in quite late here in Mt Eden, 2pm.
David

Unread post by David »

Yes but drier air warms up easier than moist air, and SE winds come out of the Waikato Basin, which heats strongly on hot days. Last summer I remember we had a very warm gusty SE on one day, about 27oC or around there. But yes agree on your comments. I would be interested to know what airflow we had during the 31oC record in 1998?

Yes I saw the 25oC in Grey Lynn. I guess that area is more likely to reach 30oC in summer than here because it is more built up/more concrete.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The SE is a rare wind direction in Auckland. The warmer summer weather in Auckland generaly occurs when subtropical airmasses are being advected onto our region in N/NE airflows. The airmasses are humid and heat up quickly.
I would be interested to know what airflow we had during the 31oC record in 1998?
That was the same day Henderson recorded 33C. A clear anticyclonic day with light N winds.
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

I never thought that thunderstorms would happen today mainly because as Jamie said it was far too dry for any anything to pop up maybe if it was raining yesterday we could have had something today.
Looking up north it seemed quite hazy in the auckland area, as for me pristine blue sky's and not a cloud in the sky either in the afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

I just drove back up to Auckland and experienced one of the best cloudless sun sets i have ever seen. The haze in the air made the sun glow a deep orange.
Anyone in Auckland grab a picture?
Paul Mallinson
Meteorologist (Retired)

Unread post by Paul Mallinson »

I went for a low risk of a severe thunderstorm today in the area just northwest of Lake Taupo due to very slow cell motions if deep convection developed. A heat low formed there this afternoon with convergent surface winds and the last time I looked the temps went to about 27C and the dewpoints were up around 14 to 16C (17C at Rotorua). When I left work this afternoon I had all but given up.
I just checked the radar and lightning and see there was a smallish cell in the low with a heavy shower and what do you know - a couple of lightning strikes!!
The main unknown today was even 'though surface dewpoints were high, I thought that mixing into the drier air aloft may not allow the convection to go deep. But I guess where the convergence was strongest, it was enough to allow one or two heavy showers to form.
Its an interesting game!!

Paul