SE Otago Twister

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Tornado Tim

SE Otago Twister

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Just saw on 3 News, 5km SE of Otago had a small twister which lasted about 2-5 minutes.
On the pic provided i didn't see it touch ground....
From what I can remember it didn't destroy anything thank-goodness!
Has anyone got more info????
Last edited by Tornado Tim on Sat 03/01/2009 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: SE Otago Twister

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

It was near Waikouaiti.
I see they are using the word twister than mini tornado :-w

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Quite a wide sucker too, but only just touched down with some minor damage I think! TVNZ did use the 'm' word btw with a similar pic at funnel stage. Stupid media! :(

Here's the TV3 video link (it's right at the end).
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Some more info from the Otago Daily Times...
Twister drama shakes Waikouaiti
By John Gibb on Sun, 4 Jan 2009

This picture of the twister was taken on a cell phone of by Waikouaiti electrician Alan Brennan.
[Note: The image is protected by copyright law. All rights reserved © ODT Online 2008]

Waikouaiti people were stunned to see a tornado bearing down on their town yesterday - and relieved when it changed direction and caused only slight damage to property and trees.

The black tornado, believed to be several hundred metres high, knocked limbs off several poplar trees, briefly blocking about a 40m stretch of Ramrock Rd, and damaged the roof of a farmhouse, about one km south of the town ship, about 12.25pm. No one was hurt. Power to parts of the township was also briefly disrupted about 1pm before being quickly restored.

"It was really spectacular - the funnel coming down to the ground. There was all sorts of stuff being sucked up, you could see like polka dots of rubbish being spun in the air,'' Waikouaiti electrician Alan Brennan said.

Waikouaiti police Constable Lesley Eason said the tornado was an "incredible'' sight. "It was a twister, like on TV,'' Const Eason said. For some minutes the tornado had been heading straight for the township from the south, during a hail storm, and damage would have been much more severe had it come right in to the township, she said. She praised the "brilliant'' efforts of the Waikouaiti Volunteer Fire Brigade in securing the farm house roof with a tarpaulin, and cleaning up broken glass in side the house. A nearby farmer had also pitched in by using his front-end loader to clear the poplar limbs from Ramrock Rd, she said.

© Allied Press Limited 2007.
Lacertae
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lacertae »

Pretty good for a cell phone ! :-o
The Earth has music for those who listen.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

This tornado reminds me of Waimate tornado 2 years back. There don't seem to be many tornado reports from that part of the world but heck, we get to see photos of them. Pretty impressive.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

looks bigger than a 'm' twister as some of the media put it. Looks to be a nice fat one and pretty impressive for NZ standards.
Paul Mallinson
Meteorologist (Retired)

Unread post by Paul Mallinson »

NZstorm wrote:This tornado reminds me of Waimate tornado 2 years back. There don't seem to be many tornado reports from that part of the world but heck, we get to see photos of them. Pretty impressive.
Yes, me too. In fact the general set up is much the same in both cases (from memory).

Paul
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Meant to post this follow-up story earlier which gives a slightly more personal account of the photographer's encounter with the 'Waikouaiti Twister' - from the Otago Daily Times...
Keen snapper sails close to the wind
By John Gibb on Mon, 5 Jan 2009

"...you could see all the debris was being sucked up off the ground - big branches maybe the size of a person... I thought I'll get close to it and see what they're like - but I got too close." Mr Brennan then found himself inside the tornado. "I didn't realise how big it was - it was a couple of hundred metres across...". He briefly became worried about his safety as he watched tree branches and other debris being whirled around him...
(full story...)
Lacertae

A bit weird that "a couple hundred metres across" tornado didn't do more damages and that the guy survived the crossing of the "bush" without being hit by one of the numerous debris flying around ....
Sounds bullshit to me ... all tornado chasers around the globe would have done it already if it would be so harmless ! [-X
Last edited by Lacertae on Wed 07/01/2009 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

He's quite a lucky man, then...with that amount of debris flying through the air, he was fortunate nothing was slammed through his windshield....still, though, I am envious...cuz that would have ROCKED!! :mrgreen:

You could always go down and verify how wide it was by looking at the path it took!..... :rolleyes:
Wouldn't be suprised if someone already has....
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Andrew Massie

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

I wonder if he was REALLY in it... I was right next to a 'circling wind of debris' which was about 40 metres diameter when not long after, a tornado hit in Parklands. I felt pretty much what he did, so I think he wasn't in it at it's best.
Lacertae

And what about the local pressure drop when inside the tornado ? His ears should have "popped" !
Vertigo

Unread post by Vertigo »

a couple hundred meters across is a substantial tornado.. was it really that large, or was it amateurs exaggeration?