Thar Be Storms A'Comin...ARRR...

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thar Be Storms A'Comin...ARRR...

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Lot's of thunder over the MacKenzie right now. When the lightning begins, I'll try to get pics.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Good to hear Gary!! :D

You aren't a Pirate are you? Thar Be Storms A'Comin...ARRR... ???????????

Gary, sailing the seven observatories, :lol:

Who cares, I like it!
Aaron Wilkinson
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

There are plenty of Thunderstorms in those Western Ranges today slowly moving North but the Front should start to weaken soon.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

ARRR... some thunder here to 8)

bout 10mm of good steady rain :D
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Up to 32 degrees today,now 26 with the odd splash of northwest rain.
8)
tich

Unread post by tich »

Lot's of thunder over the MacKenzie right now. When the lightning begins, I'll try to get pics.
ARRR... some thunder here to

bout 10mm of good steady rain
So the Alps aren't a total barrier stopping northwesterly thunderstorms from crossing over to the (immediate) east. Or has the southwesterly change reached Alexandra?

Another warm day in Chch, this time with a northwest arch and wind coming from that direction. Should be a much cooler change tomorrow, but MetService probably made an error in predicting the freezing level to drop to 700 metres in the south. Not unknown to get that cold in the far south this early, but tomorrow's southwesterly, while it looks like being cold, doesn't look that wintry. I guess they really meant 1700 metres.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

t's bloddy hot here, I was up to 31.5C just B4

Must go and do dishes/tidy up the house for the Meeting tonight :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Ben,
Midday sounding from Invercargill shows a freezing level around 3000m, quite high, with the air unstable. But air in behind the front is quite cold. I'm thinking the freezing level will plunge to around the 800m level in the south overnight. :o
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

So the Alps aren't a total barrier stopping northwesterly thunderstorms from crossing over to the (immediate) east. Or has the southwesterly change reached Alexandra?

Another warm day in Chch, this time with a northwest arch and wind coming from that direction. Should be a much cooler change tomorrow, but MetService probably made an error in predicting the freezing level to drop to 700 metres in the south. Not unknown to get that cold in the far south this early, but tomorrow's southwesterly, while it looks like being cold, doesn't look that wintry. I guess they really meant 1700 metres.

Make that 18mm and more to come after a sunny spell for 10 min :)
With some very loud thunder bells.
Looks to be wipe spread rain in otago with rain from east to west
looking at the queestown and dunedin cams.

THE HEADWATERS OF THE LAKES AND RIVERS OF OTAGO AND CANTERBURY FROM LAKE
WAKATIPU TO THE WAIMAKARIRI RIVER
In the 14 hours from 8am to 10pm Wednesday, expect 180mm near the
divide and
over 50mm within 20km east of the divide.

Gee some hot temps north of otago, TV3 ad 35 in kaikoura, 30's in canterbury 8)
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Stuck in a motel in Invercargill...

We had the darkest clouds I've seen for while here today. Heavy rain. A good lightning storm around 5pm (my partner said it passed through Dunners around 7.30pm) and constant rain here for the last 3-4 hours. Should be some strong winds overnight too, I believe.

By the way... I saw a Pirate movie last night... it was rated ARRR :lol:
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Gary Roberts

Fujita Phil wrote:By the way... I saw a Pirate movie last night... it was rated ARRR :lol:
ARRR...shuttup!

Magic day here today, and even better yesterday, since I got married atop Mt John at Lake Tekapo! Not a cloud, not a breeze, and not too hot!

I did get a speeding ticket on the way, though (my very first, ever!)...one of those damn Japanese-import mini buses which apparently everybody over 55 now own was doing 80kph on the highway all the way up in front of me...I didn't want to be late to my own wedding so I decided to pass him once I finally got the chance (damn winding roads!)...approaching from the other direction was another of those damn buses, so I really gunned it. Naturally, behind the approching mini bus and hidden from view, was a cop...I got a ticket for doing 118kph...Me in my tux, the wife in her wedding dress...and to top it all off I discover that for the past 20 years the convictions of some guy in Palmerston North with a similar name (but a different middle one) have been piling up on MY record, and now I'm forbidden from driving! The MacKenzie is no place to be without a drivers licence...So off to Oamaru on Monday to try and smash some sense into the braindead morons of the bureaucracy...

AND the marriage licence was 9 days late! It arrived by courier 1 1/2 hours before the ceremony!

I blame George W. Bush.
wxgirl

Unread post by wxgirl »

Congrats on the wedding and glad you had such sterling weather - as always! Funny story - I wonder if your wife was sitting in the car thinking "Crumbs, i thought i knew him... thank goodness i haven't exchanged vows yet!" Ha.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Congrats on your wedding from everyone here at the the NZTS.
I hope tomorrow will bring you a thunderstorm as a wedding present :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Gary, I think that Cop is a total Pr..., a great story anyway. :lol:
Enjoy married life, I got married 9 months ago , haven't looked back yet.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Gary...the cop must be having you on. The infringments would be against a drivers licence number, not a name. I would double check before you head off to Oamaru. You might need to get a lawyer to sort it out.

Top of Mt John sounds like a great place to be wed. :D
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Gary Roberts wrote:
Magic day here today, and even better yesterday, since I got married atop Mt John at Lake Tekapo! Not a cloud, not a breeze, and not too hot!

I did get a speeding ticket on the way, though (my very first, ever!)...one of those damn Japanese-import mini buses which apparently everybody over 55 now own was doing 80kph on the highway all the way up in front of me...I didn't want to be late to my own wedding so I decided to pass him once I finally got the chance (damn winding roads!)...approaching from the other direction was another of those damn buses, so I really gunned it. Naturally, behind the approching mini bus and hidden from view, was a cop...I got a ticket for doing 118kph...Me in my tux, the wife in her wedding dress...and to top it all off I discover that for the past 20 years the convictions of some guy in Palmerston North with a similar name (but a different middle one) have been piling up on MY record, and now I'm forbidden from driving! The MacKenzie is no place to be without a drivers licence...So off to Oamaru on Monday to try and smash some sense into the braindead morons of the bureaucracy...

AND the marriage licence was 9 days late! It arrived by courier 1 1/2 hours before the ceremony!

I blame George W. Bush.
...sorry, I didn't fully read you post..

Good luck with the bureaucracy, if not, I hope it drizzles forever on them with continuous overcast boring skies and may thunderstorms and lovely sunshine reign on you and your new wife forever :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Gary Roberts

NZstorm wrote:Gary...the cop must be having you on. The infringments would be against a drivers licence number, not a name. I would double check before you head off to Oamaru. You might need to get a lawyer to sort it out.
Sadly not...They're not just traffic infringements. I called in to see Les at the Omarama cop shop and together we dug...I have PRNs for Africa now, mostly for convictions in places I've never even visited...the other me gets around, and he does a lot it seems.

The status of my firearms licence is "surrendered", "revoked" and "current" all at the same time...my drivers licence is no longer valid because the other clown lost his...if this was the US I'd be getting pretty wealthy courtesy of the police department thanks to this debacle.

Top of Mt John sounds like a great place to be wed. :D
It is! Nice having friends in high places! Pardon the pun.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Sky is becoming quite dark to the south,cloud looks quite high though.
The radar is interesting,showing some heavy shower activity around Waimate.
Few spots of rain here now.Temp 22 degrees.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes hopefully something happens Deano, warm hear to with not much wind if any at all.

Auckland Islands, hehehe, lol. Do they get internet down there?
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Nothing happening here. Everythings seeming to be going out east.
Boring fine weather :(
I got up to 28.5C before the NE change came and dropped the temp to 20C

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

83 degrees(28.5) would be a frontline story in the Herald here in January let alone March :D
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Nothing happening here. Everythings seeming to be going out east.
Boring fine weather :(
I got up to 28.5C before the NE change came and dropped the temp to 20C

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Michael wrote:83 degrees(28.5) would be a frontline story in the Herald here in January let alone March :D
Yes, Michael, I love your postings. :lol:
Good one Deano about Michael being from Auckland Island :lol: :lol:
I see it was only 19C in Auckland today,very wintry indeed. ;)
I see it was only 24C at Harewood airport as reported on the telly before the southerly went through???????????????
What southerly?
Looks like a "neither/niether/nor" weather week coming up ?
....can have thunderstorm potential, Aaron :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

We get a surface weak SW with high pressure over us here bringing the lousy weather but theres been little wind only but no sun.
We supposed to get a N-NE but they were telling us that for Friday so we will believe it when we see it :?
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
I see it was only 19C in Auckland today,very wintry indeed. ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Mayby a thunderstorm tomorrow here in Canterbury but the situation seems similar to yesterday where nothing happened. Anywho:

Rock on! Image
Aaron Wilkinson
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Aaron, See what tomorrow brings. Upper air is still cold over the country(for time of year), with that condition, instability is always possible. :)