Unstable Air for the NI around 9-14th Jan

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Paul Mallinson
Meteorologist (Retired)

Re: Unstable Air for the NI around 9-14th Jan

Unread post by Paul Mallinson »

Very impressive and informative pictures tgsnoopy. Good to see the size of the hail - and the amounts on the ground! The largest looks to be about 2cm in diameter which helps to confirm what the radar indicated and what we were saying in our Thunderstorm Watch. Thanks.

Paul
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

on the topic of the positive strokes, I saw about 10 of them. They started at the top of the cb and went out and down, pretty much as the above picture showed. But they occurred in daylight so I didn't try to catch one with the camera.
Also reminder that standing near a storm away from the precip is not necessarily safe.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Paul Mallinson wrote:Good to see the size of the hail - and the amounts on the ground! The largest looks to be about 2cm in diameter which helps to confirm what the radar indicated and what we were saying in our Thunderstorm Watch.
Bear in mind that was after about 20-30 minutes of heavy rain had worked on them. They were bigger than that initially.

I made the mistake of pushing over the top of the Kaimai's to look at the Waikato side and it took a fair while to get back down to the big stuff.

The BOP Times has a photo taken by a resident of Valley View Road that shows how big they were initially. Golf ball sized wasn't an overstatement.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

tgsnoopy wrote:The BOP Times has a photo taken by a resident of Valley View Road that shows how big they were initially. Golf ball sized wasn't an overstatement.
Hmm... just a pic of the Kaimai's covered in hail in the Bay of Plenty Times online story entitled ...

'Weather bomb hits the Bay'. :mad:

Btw, Well Done tgsnoopy. _b I see your pics also made TV One News!
Philip Duncan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Philip Duncan »

Yes Nev - and without credit either!
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

sure is an amazing amount of hail...looks like snow...and is like the hail storms that Colorado gets in the summer

such a contrast to the conditions we had here that day (sunny skies and light winds/sea breezes)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

tgsnoopy, those images could have got you some cash.
One News Thumbs down q- q- [-X :x [-(
You would think that the media of all originations would at least credit the photographer or artist.
Seems not, If that that were me tgsnoopy I would be rather ticked off.
such a contrast to the conditions we had here that day (sunny skies and light winds/sea breezes)
I know MHO, what a contrast eh?
Last edited by Tornado Tim on Thu 15/01/2009 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

philip duncan wrote:Yes Nev - and without credit either!
Good Point! I hope tgsnoopy at least negotiated a good fee for all that time and effort?
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Nah, not too fussed. I'd rather see the pics used than ask for a fee and see them air an article without suitable images.

But, I will say they make it way too difficult to contact them if you want to talk to them!

I would also appreciate it if my name was spelt right too! Gaelic spelling please, I have Irish ancestry and there is a big difference in the meaning.

Hmm, I suppose since they didn't give me credit... Anyone know a good copyright lawyer ;)
Philip Duncan

Well I don't know of any media organisation that would pay for an image to use in the news... it has to be something huge for that to happen. Anyone that sends us a photo will always have their name credited - then if those images are newsworth we send to all the news media and we of course ask they credit us & the photographer. I have to say The Herald is really good at doing that, as they did today.

Thanks again to those who shared their photos with us...it inspires others to capture the weather and send it in too. :wave:
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Just found two identical photo's people have taken and put up on weatherwatch site which are exactly the same bolt that Graeme got on page 9 of this forum.
Both taken from different spots and by different people what are the odds of capturing the same bolt haha :lol: .
Here's the link to one of the photo's Graeme if you miss it.
http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/image-gal ... ight-storm
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Philip Duncan

Oh wow I just noticed that!! That is SO weird when you consider there were thousands of strikes last night!! Great spotting!
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

philip duncan wrote:Well I don't know of any media organisation that would pay for an image to use in the news... it has to be something huge for that to happen. Anyone that sends us a photo will always have their name credited - then if those images are newsworth we send to all the news media and we of course ask they credit us & the photographer. I have to say The Herald is really good at doing that, as they did today.
Well that might depend on whether the media organisation concerned solicited the material or not. If it was submitted to them with the proviso that they needed your permission to publish it, then normally someone like the Herald probaly wouldn't be interested in negotiating a fee unless, as you say, it was a huge story. If on the other hand they say spotted your image on this forum and asked you if they could publish it, then obviously they would be more willing to negotiate a fee (although, in the case of the Herald, it's likely to peanuts even if it were to make the front page).

In this particular case of TV One News however, they used not one, but a whole series of tgsnoopy's images and, if they had few other images pertaining to that story, they may have been willing to negotiate a more substantial fee. But again, it might depend on whether the material was solicited or submitted.

I hope TVNZ had your permission to use your images tgsnoopy? If not, they would have left themselves wide open for breach of copyright and you could claim compensation if you can prove that they have either profited from using your images or if you have suffered financial loss, e.g. loss of potential earnings due to those images having already been overexposed to the public.

Geoff Mackley didn't get to where he is today by giving his images away for free, but then I guess everyone's got to start somewhere and a little recognition certainly helps.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

thought I would post this pic of the convergence zone in Hauraki Gulf at sunset Wednesday night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Philip Duncan

Anyone who uploads a photo to our site signs a basic waiver that allows us to use those images - in other words forward them on to the media to use, use them in our gallery etc. Usually the news media credit the photographer and Weather Watch...sometimes, for time, they credit Weather Watch only - but the idea behind that is that people will go to our site and see the images and the photographers name.

However in this circumstance the images weren't uploaded to our site, instead I asked people in here directly if we could use them - in return we'd credit their name - and we would forward their images on to the news media (don't know about you guys but I love seeing my images on TV...I'm really proud when I can help get your images there too!)

It's disappointing when someone lets you down though - and a credit isn't a big ask at all. I've spoken to TVNZ and I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding. They've credited us and the photographers in the past.

And yep, I agree about Geoff Mackley...but free exposure in the beginning is normal.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

then normally someone like the Herald probaly wouldn't be interested in negotiating a fee unless, as you say, it was a huge story
The Herald paid me several hundred dollars for the use of a weather photo a couple of years back( non news photo) but it was on the front page.
Vertigo

Unread post by Vertigo »

philip, im not sure that asking for permission to use an image on your site automatically extends you the right to forward that permission onto a news agency. would seem to me to be up to the photographer. sure, he probably wouldnt mind, if credit was given, but thats still up to him.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

spwill wrote:The Herald paid me several hundred dollars for the use of a weather photo a couple of years back( non news photo) but it was on the front page.
Well there ya go!

Was that the lightning shot that made the front-page spwill? And if I recall wasn't it the Herald that approached you after spotting that pic on this forum? (I suspect that today however, a similar shot might have slightly less value, due to all the extra competition from an explosion in more affordable good-quality digital cameras.)

Phil, I personally have never contemplated submitting an image to Weather-Watch, for the very reason you have stated regarding user rights of that image. However, although there is an 'optional' box to click when submitting images, which says...
I grant Weather Watch full rights to use this image.

in your Terms and Conditions it also states...
All photos remain copyright of the photographer and may not be copied or reproduced in any format without obtaining written permissions from the photographer.

I sincerely hope that the latter does indeed apply, as it gives the photographer (not a third party like Weather Watch) the opportunity to ultimately negotiate the terms of their images being used outside of that specific usage on Weather-Watch's web-site.
Philip Duncan

Ah now I remember why I don't pop in here more often...

If you want to share photos with us then do so - if you don't then don't.

Notice how those that sent the photos aren't the ones complaining!
Enjoy your weekend.
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

I get a real buzz from sharing, be it images I take or contributing to open source software. You can get lots of really good recognition for material and work that isn't sold, money isn't the only reward :)

Cheers,

G
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Is it pick on Phil Day today or something? As long as the image has the picture takers name on it, i really have no problem with it at all. Thats just my opinion but i think some people are overreacting somewhat. We are all friends here :smile: share the same interest so lets not be mean!
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
photosearch

Unread post by photosearch »

philip duncan wrote:Well I don't know of any media organisation that would pay for an image to use in the news... it has to be something huge for that to happen. Anyone that sends us a photo will always have their name credited - then if those images are newsworth we send to all the news media and we of course ask they credit us & the photographer. I have to say The Herald is really good at doing that, as they did today.

Thanks again to those who shared their photos with us...it inspires others to capture the weather and send it in too. :wave:
I wonder if APN receives any monetary payment when they forward images on to other news organisations?
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

As this topic is no longer current and the theme of the topic has turned to something irrelevant, I will close the topic.
To continue the latter postings of this thread please make it, in a new topic in the "Off Topic" section. :smile:

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Nev

Unstable Air for the NI around 9-14th Jan (sequel)

Unread post by Nev »

Sorry about the title, but the original thread of the same name was prematurely deemed "no longer current" and locked less than two days after those extraordinary weather events.

Perhaps it's a bit late in the day for any further discussion, but here's a belated story about what appears to be a funnel cloud, rather than a tornado as the writer suggests. Although he does say of a second spout, "we could clearly see the swirling of water within the spout". It was photographed from the Whangaparaoa Peninsular last Wednesday morning (the same day as the electrical storms over the upper North Island and the waterspout at Great Barrier Island later that evening).

From Stuff - 'Lightning is opening act'
TokWW

Re: Unstable Air for the NI around 9-14th Jan (sequel)

Unread post by TokWW »

Thanks Nev - I was sorting through some photos last night from the 14th to upload to my Flikr sets and then link to them from in here, so I will add tonight later on. The weather certainly was unstable and very interesting sightings and activities.