Sunshine Hours for Napier

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
raytaylor
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sunshine Hours for Napier

Unread post by raytaylor »

Hey everybody.

I have been trying to set up some solar powered radio repeaters and know how much sunshine Napier has each month on average. I am trying to work out how to actually count the number of sunshine or see graphs of the sunshine levels for Napier. This way I can get a fairly accurate estimate of the harvested solar power during winter months for the various local radio repeaters. I need this on a day by day log or 'sunshine hours so far this month' rather than a monthly average.

I was doing a bit of googling and couldnt find anyone running a web based weather station locally that logged sunshine hours so I am wondering if someone knows of a person locally in Hawkes Bay that does count or has a station that will log the sunshine hours.

If not, can anyone recomend a good sensor device and software that will do the job?
I would have thought that the metservice would have this sort of info on their website but if its there, I cant find it.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions
RWood

Re: Sunshine Hours for Napier

Unread post by RWood »

NIWA has the information your require on CliFlo, not MetService.

To help you get started as an indicator, here's the mean monthly and annual sun hours for Napier (Nelson Park) for 1978-2007:

(JFMA....D annual)

249.4 201.3 198.8 168.8 154.1 126.6 135.2 167.6 178.8 212.0 216.6 232.6 2241.8

This is with manual (suncard) recording.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Cricket is on in Napier tomorrow so rest assured it will rain and reduce those sun hours... :lol:
Christchurch Rocks
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Razor wrote:Cricket is on in Napier tomorrow so rest assured it will rain and reduce those sun hours... :lol:
Call me Nostradamus :)
Christchurch Rocks
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I picked it too: ;)

I have a friend from H. Bay who likes to complain about W'gton winds - I don't lose the opportunities to remind him that Napier ain't perfect either...
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Metservice site has been down for the last 2 or 3 hours. I dont think the upgrade has done anything for that, infact i find iot takes longer than normal to load i dunno about everyone else.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
raytaylor

Unread post by raytaylor »

Thanks. I will look for more info on the NIWA site tomorrow. Yes the rain been on and off. They are in the process of upgrading the lighting at McLean Park and I think its going to light up my driveway to full daylight when they have finished.