Picture(s) of the day

For general weather and landscape photos
Lacertae
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture(s) of the day

Unread post by Lacertae »

Wow ! On the 2nd picture I don't know if they are supernumeraries or not but it's impressive to see such a "thick" fog bow ! I've seen a few but never like this !!! You should send the picture to Spaceweather, I'm pretty sure it would be on the front page. :eek:
what camera do you use?
Canon Powershot SX100IS.
have you tried adjusting the camera's asa opps iso settings and playing around with it under different light settings? (take a few test shots) tweak the camera's con, hue and sat settings - enable the camera's histogram feature...
Of course ! ;) For the 1st picture I was working at 400ISO and 800ISO. But I try to avoid increasing the ISO too much, the sensor is very noisy and it's visible ...
And unfortunately the histogram can't be displayed while taking the picture ... may be on the Powershot SX1, I dunno.
The Earth has music for those who listen.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Great shots there Lacertae and DT always good to get out and play with camera settings.
As promised i got out this morning on the bike and took some photo's of the new pathways installed around the Kaiapoi parks and River.
Its good to see as it really has brought alot more people out and about walking and enjoying whats on thier doorstep, and what a great day it was.
Cheers
Jason.
015.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
018.JPG
019.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Storm Struck

Just a few more, the council raised money through some fundraiser and had put it towards upgrading parts of Kaiapoi apparently.
Cheers
Jason.
020.JPG
021.JPG
022.JPG
023.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Lacertae wrote:Wow ! On the 2nd picture I don't know if they are supernumeraries or not but it's impressive to see such a "thick" fog bow ! I've seen a few but never like this !!! You should send the picture to Spaceweather, I'm pretty sure it would be on the front page. :eek:

Spaceweather _b one of my fav places online :-) along with the BAUT forum - thank you for your comments also, re: second picture they are both the same, however, the upper image has had the contrast increased in arch as natural to how my eyes recall and saw it the morning I took these beautiful atmospheric phenomena - the lower image is the original, though again is dull and flat as there is no luminance and/or brilliance in the white of the fogbow how my eyes saw it naturally, especially on the end of the bow and in its center, it was a magical thing to see and the light was just, just so perfect.

When I have time and am not too tired I will work on the other images especially the one with the fogbow over the farm house, because again the white of the bow is dull and flat.

Anyway, you have a super great camera :-) and, II have enjoyed looking at the world around us as seen through your eyes, along also with the contributions from everyone else here, so neat, great pic's _b everyone.

May I submit a vote for my fav pic for the month of March :-) if so? I would have to be Foggy's pic of the cow, gosh, it is cute (grin), thank's Foggy.

Ok, tired now, so please do have a wonderful weekend ahead to come everyone, take care.
Lightning in NZ
The right terminology lends a hint as to the nature of the different forms.
A Vertigo Quote.
Lacertae

Lovely pic ... is it RGB, B&W or Sepia ? <3
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Lacertae wrote:Lovely pic ... is it RGB, B&W or Sepia ? <3
Hi Lacertae,

Thank you, the photograph was taken using the camera's auto feature with a manual adjustment of the exposure setting (minus) -3 iso setting of 400.

I intuitively will know what I am looking to acheive when looking for a particular mood in picture I wish to take (moreso with one's like this) and will alternate between the camera's manual and/or auto mode features, settings.

In this particular shot I acheived the desired affect with the subject elements in mind. There are no channel, curve, gamma adjustments etc to the image. The image was cropped from the original and then framed (bordered) to tidy it up :-)
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Same image with a curve adjustment of the RGB channel - imput 120, output 160 (no gamma correction as yet) however, there is a fading out to the top of hill line into sky (vice versa) and was not the mood or effect I was looking to achieve with the light and beauty of the mist, light and fog elements as they presented that morning.

I am no way a professional photographer and all I have learnt and taught myself over the years has been through trial and error :-) with a passion to get out and take or get that magical shot with a camera (when I am in the mood) .

I teach my two children to let the camera become an extension of themselves, and, to allow the camera lens free movement in which to bring to life the imagery of the world and what their eyes see through them :-) but, above all else to have fun...

Alright, I seriously need to rest.... again, have a wonderful weekend everyone, take care.
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Here are some pictures I took of traction engines at the Ellesmere Country Fair at Leeston this afternoon.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Lacertae

How was the show ? I almost came today but I felt a bit too lazy in the end ...
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Lacertae wrote:How was the show ? I almost came today but I felt a bit too lazy in the end ...
It was a good day, Ben with lots of vintage machinery on display.
Here are 2 more shots from yesterday.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Today's sunset.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Just a wonderful sunset this evening, i quite liked how it came back with the more darker red colour like your ones John.
Cheers
Jason.
Red sky 001.jpg
Red sky 002.jpg
Red sky 003.jpg
Red sky 004.jpg
Red sky 005.jpg
Storm Struck

Also a few sneaky shots i was playing around with the camera settings on Saturday morning, getting abit more use of my camera.
Cheers
Jason.
MG PIC.jpg
PM 001.jpg
PM 002.jpg
RA.jpg
David

Unread post by David »

Jasestrm wrote:Image
Wow never seen a butterfly like that before here! :-o Are they not distributed across the whole country?
Lacertae

I was too lazy to take pictures of the sunset but I've got 2 shots taken around 4pm ...
arch.jpg
pan.jpg
Nice pics Jason ! :wave:
Lacertae

Wow ! I hope some of you guys are outside taking pictures of such an extraordinary norwest arch !!! I haven't seen such display of mamatus and "streaks" (not sure if it's the right word) before !
Shame I didn't take my camera with me to the swimming pool to show the evolution of it ... >_<
mama1.jpg
mama2.jpg
Storm Struck

I caught the Lenticular wave clouds before, dont often see these that much over Canterbury well not so impressive and big.
Cheers
Jason.
wave cloud 003.JPG
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes, there was a rather large lenticular 'tunnel' cloud to the north of here for much of the afternoon.
I didn't photograph it.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Lacertae wrote:Wow ! I hope some of you guys are outside taking pictures of such an extraordinary norwest arch !!! I haven't seen such display of mamatus and "streaks" (not sure if it's the right word) before !
Lacertae,

I am so envious... do you know? that there are 2 cloud types I hope to photograph before I die? they are the mammatus and punch hole clouds...

God, your lucky :smile: great pics by the way _b

more, more... more mammatus clouds...
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Jasestrm wrote:I caught the Lenticular wave clouds before, dont often see these that much over Canterbury well not so impressive and big.
Cheers
Jason.
Hi Jasestrm,

Very impressive lenticular... and I agree it is big... anyway, nice airflow and movement through cloud layer ... you caught it well... great pics
_b
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Today's sunset.

JohnGaul
NZThS
great pics _b those clouds look dark, moody and menacing... like the warm colours though... nice.
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
Lacertae

I couldn't stay at home on such a beautiful day, even with a buggered knee ... >_<
So this time, I went from my place in Bexley to New Brighton, along the beach and back through Bridge St and Bexley Marhslands. Good training ground for B&W ! :crazy:
06.jpg
07.jpg
05.jpg
02.jpg
04.jpg
Last edited by Lacertae on Sat 11/04/2009 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Lacertae

09.jpg
03.jpg
08.jpg
Plus 2 panoramic skyscapes ...
pan01.jpg
pan02.jpg
Lacertae

I've spotted quite a lot of Australasian Shoveler and Grey Teal (as well as a female Brown Teal !) in the Bexley Marshlands.
ducks1.jpg
ducks2.jpg
ducks3.jpg
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Some pictures of the sunset tonight.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS