Showery and unstable, mid-March, any and all parts of NZ

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Re: Showery and unstable, mid-March

Unread post by spwill »

Some big showers yesterday after 5pm on the Hauraki plains, Waikato and over parts of Northland, plenty of towering Cu Around Auckland yesterday afternoon with a shower threat here until about 5pm.
Last edited by spwill on Thu 19/03/2009 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Showery and unstable, mid-March, NI

Unread post by Dale »

6mm in the gauge from that, all but stopped now. At least the Ringnecks (parrots) got a good bath & topped up the tanks.
Noticably heavier in places around Sth Pukekohe (Bucklands) & going back up Valley Rd, at one point around 0820 was bordering on whiteout condiitions.. something I would expect corepunching a decent cell.
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

Good heavy rain here with the front!.. 8mm in 15 minutes and a high rain rate for the year of 127mm / hr at it's peak.. pretty much through now
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Rainband crossed here in a somewhat more scattered state from 9:40am - just 3.5mm. Cleared again now. Got a little gusty though.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Its been rather quiet but relaxing on the weather front over the last 5 days, much appreciated by many after all those sub tropical low systems.
The front yesterday knocked the temperature up to around 23C with the usual high cloud, wind shifted from NE to Northerly by afternoon then breezy NW by night.
Today is much warmer on 25C at the moment with a fresh gusty Westerly, this should keep any of the shower activity south of Christchurch this evening hence the SW change it will be dry.
I have been wondering on tomorrow afternoon's heat convergence and possible shower development inland once the SW turns NE.
Numbers look reasonable for tomorrow with not bad dew points, thought something might have the omph to turn thundery inland and over Plains before spilling further eastwards.
Not sure on Saturday as the change comes through around midday not allowing enough heating.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Vertigo

Unread post by Vertigo »

the 1pm sounding in whenuapai looks interesting. if we had significant heating to push past the cap at 850mb, we could have thunder on the cards. dont think its going to happen tho.
David

Unread post by David »

Interesting ride into uni this morning - sky went ominously dark and rain started as we were getting closer to the waterfront/Hobson Bay and then traveling along the waterfront and past the ports of Auckland the rain was torrential...a couple of the vents on the bus's air con system leaked water through and I had to move seats! 0_o 5mm back at home but Ricky's reading of 8mm sounds to me like a good figure for the city area.
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

Great view as I got into work at around 7.20 this morning
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Storm Struck

Driving into Christchurch around 1pm there was some weak CU congestus going up, and some stronger looking cauliflower heads south of BP.
Not sure if the southerly came through or not because i have been inside all afternoon, but it did look like it was coming over the Port Hills after 1pm.
Back to NE here in Kaiapoi with skies becoming unstable again and darkening up in some areas, could be a small chance something might fire up tonight with that trough crossing the lower south island now.
Cheers
Jason.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

The dry southerly came through at 1pm. I did notice those Cu forms around BP but there wasn't anything else of note.
Cloud forming now ahead of the next front.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Kool its been spotting off and on all morning but not much, and came onto light rain about half an hour ago then woosh a heavy burst came down with some quite large drops.
1.7mm majority from heavy burst, might see something thundery here, MS better stretch that low risk down to Canterbury I think.
Cheers
Jason.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

I was at work n the city this morning.. few showers about, nothing to major to report of though.
Cool Southerly about here, with a few more light showers passing by more like drizzle really :o
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Lacertae

Unread post by Lacertae »

Sorry guys, I don't want to be picky but this topic is about North Island ... ;)
The Earth has music for those who listen.
Cameron M

Unread post by Cameron M »

We just had a torrential downpour causing surface flooding and stopping the mussel festival.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Lacertae wrote:Sorry guys, I don't want to be picky but this topic is about North Island ... ;)
I think now, Ben, that as there has been nothing much happening on the weather front (excuse the pun) recently, especially in the South Island, any contribution that is relelvent is welcomed to this topic rather than starting up a new one. 8)

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

I didn't have this topic down for just the north island before, seems like the Mods changed it.
Anyway, Had Cumulus Congestus clouds being thrown up today no showers, just slightly unstable conditions.
I didn't want to post about stable conditions as you cant really talk about them apart from that warmer weather....
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
jamie

Re: Showery and unstable, mid-March, any and all parts of NZ

Unread post by jamie »

just had a phone call from my flatmate 10 mins ago saying she can is driving on the motorway on the north shore and can see a big funnel cloud as she looks towards the ocean. Anyone out there can confirm this?
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

About that time I could see strong cumulus out over the Waitemata. But I am too far away to have seen the bases. They have been there all morning.
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

here's the view over that time from the webcam here looking in the general direction... can see a rapid buildup but no bases from this viewpoint unfortunately..
http://greylynnweather.net/videolasthour1120230309.wmv
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

just had a phone call from my flatmate 10 mins ago saying she can is driving on the motorway on the north shore and can see a big funnel cloud as she looks towards the ocean. Anyone out there can confirm this?
Yes, there was a line of Cu development over the Gulf this morning, I now I wish I went up MtEden for a better look. Took this photo of a large Cu top from here mid morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.