Easter Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Easter Weather

Unread post by spwill »

A bit of a guess here, South Westerlies, rain over the SW of the SI at first clearing to a few showers in the south and some brief showers spreading up the east coast . Mostly dry for the NI, some cloud in the west.
NZstorm

Re: Easter Weather

Unread post by NZstorm »

Your forecast looks on the mark spwill given the NCEP ensembles. Looks like slow moving high pressure over SE Australia with a Tasman Sea ridge to Northland. A weakening SW across NZ. Best weather in the east and north.
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

wanting another good weekend weather here, its our schools annual Giant Easter Auction

ECMWF have a front/low moving over the country on wed/thurs....so should be just a Swer left behind?
hopefully the TC up north does not come down that weekend!
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Still looking good for Easter, the current ECMWF brings the High onto NZ for Good Friday. Recent trend has been for the High's to push in.
Manukau heads obs

looks like the front/trough this coming week is going to be more substantial than first modelled
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

Manukau heads observer wrote:looks like the front/trough this coming week is going to be more substantial than first modelled
The UK model was onto it for quite a while. The GFS was poor, it tried to make it run through very fast, which never made sense given the considerable support the high had.
Another day, another example of the relatively weak modelling of the GFS.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Camping is very popular at Easter in the North, plenty of people sleeping in tents last night.
At 6am, Auckland 6C
Whangarei 7C
kerikeri 8C
Whitianga 3C
MumCarrot

Unread post by MumCarrot »

Beautiful day here today! Glorious for the Haruru Falls walk.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Wind Increasing yet Again Filling Up the roof with Leaves,Cloudy since 11 oclock 8/8 infact Horrible SW and pathetic high pressure.Min 8° max 18°.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Stunning day here in Christchurch, not a breath of wind or cloud in the sky all day and a nice enough 17 degrees reached today. Quite good backing up the Polar blast that was with us the past 2 days. It is a good thing the NE didnt develop (yet) as it would have been very fresh one would imagine. It certianly has a fresh winter air about it today but very pieceful and pleasant day as well! The view of the Alps is spectacular. Its not just a dusting it is completely coated in the white stuff. I was planning to go up to the top of the port hills to get a good picture of it but never made it that way. Hopefully tomorrow morning i will be able to get a reasonable shot. I believed we are in for a bumper season for snow! Especially if we look at what the Northern hemisphere has had. Global warming producing more extremities in the weather! Anyways back to the Easter subject, Happy Easter everyone and i hope everyone gets blue skies! It is looking good for the large majority of us!! (make the most of it, looks like something is brewing in the southern ocean and tasmen sea and meeting together later next week)
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Yes happy Easter fellow weather guys.
Hope everyone is relaxing back with a beer or three ;) beautiful day here yup you said it Mark.
Temperature should fall quick though once that sun dissapears.
I don't think the NE will pick up at all today Mark witch is great! its currently a W/SW at the mo but you wouldn't know it with the lack of wind.
Currently a nice 16C
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Manukau heads obs

great start to the day here, no wind, clear skies
but ended up with some rouge showers in the light onshore SW wind this afternoon
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

It was a good Friday down here :x :-w :( :-# :B :-) :mrgreen: :cool: ;) :?: :-S :D <3
You couldn't ask for anything else more \:D/

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Michael wrote:Wind Increasing yet Again Filling Up the roof with Leaves,Cloudy since 11 oclock 8/8 infact Horrible SW and pathetic high pressure.Min 8° max 18°.
You surprise me Michael...
;)

I see retiring children's commissioner Kiro wants to go back to Auckland - doesn't like Wellington's weather - goodbye Cindy, we don't want weather wimps down here! :wave:
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

doesn't like Wellington's weather
Yes Aucklanders don't like the Wellington weather.

A couple of showers here this evening otherwise quite a good day, cool 18C, average max for April is 20.4C. 8)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Hope we get a winter like last year,(doesnt look it unfortunately.Generally more like the 1990s except 98&99 and 1st 1/2 2000s with SW prevailing) lack of SW most of it though wet its better than the wind.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:
doesn't like Wellington's weather
Yes Aucklanders don't like the Wellington weather.

A couple of showers here this evening otherwise quite a good day, cool 18C, average max for April is 20.4C. 8)
It's good - don't want too many of them moving here. :lol:
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

It's good - don't want too many of them moving here.
Shift the Beehive and there would be a lot less.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Got up this morning at 730am to go into town and here in Halswell we have very heavy fog where visibility is around 3 house lengths, exteremly poor. Yet just up the road in Hoonhay the sun is out shining with hardly a cloud in the sky, its so weird but very cool to look at. Yet if i look to the north it looks as if there is fog for miles (not that I can see much) Anyways im sure it is going to be another stunning day with light winds and not a cloud in the sky as it so often is after morning fog clears.
Leighton Thomas

tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

MarkThomas wrote:Got up this morning at 730am to go into town and here in Halswell we have very heavy fog where visibility is around 3 house lengths, extremely poor. Yet just up the road in Hoonhay the sun is out shining with hardly a cloud in the sky, its so weird but very cool to look at. Yet if i look to the north it looks as if there is fog for miles (not that I can see much) Anyways I'm sure it is going to be another stunning day with light winds and not a cloud in the sky as it so often is after morning fog clears.
Man, I'd be tempted to grab my camera and to try find an elevated spot above the cloud to see if it's worth photographing.

Except I couldn't right now, my good camera is up at Albany at the national agents being repaired (Under warranty, broken knob).
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

That cloud you can see for miles is here in Auckland :lol: [quote] Yet if i look to the north it looks as if there is fog for miles [quote]
CHCH Weather Chaser

Here is an image from Jeffs weather station of the fog from his webcam. It is slightly better than earlier but shows it still. I probably should of gone up to top port hills and seen what the view of the city was like, your right! For the locals Jeffs weather is in the vicinity of HoonHay/Hillmorton and yet just a tiny bit further north at the BP on sparks road it was sunny as and hardly any cloud to be seen!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leighton Thomas

RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Brilliant day here, as was Friday. Yesterday had variable cloud with sunny periods in the morning and clear from about 1.30.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I dunno if it was foggy out here at West Melton because I was "snoring my bods off" :yawn: this morning as it was an opportunity to have a sleep in. Woke up at 9am and it was fine and clear although rather dewey on the grass.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Sounds like there might have been some form of a valley wind Mark, with Banks Peninnsula close by the winds will often funnel around abit.
You mentioned how it was sunny out Sparks road way which means there could have been an early morning southerly flow coming through, and forming a channel wind through the exposed Birdlings flat.
Fog is quite an unusual cloud form just the way it behaves and can be so very isolated, often you can be driving through thick fog and then bang within seconds you are out of it.
You look back to see this white wall :lol: .
I remember being on the Tiramoana Kate valley track a year or so ago and the day was going to be a NWer, but there was an early morning NE as usual with valley fog.
It turned NW at our backs halfway there and then once reaching the coastal cliffs there was an incrediable windshift going on with the fog rising up the valley to the top of the cliffs and being sheared back over by the NWer.
Also with the wind shifting from NW to NE every 2 minutes there was quite a contrast with a colder wind then a warmer then cold again.
Eventually the NWer won the battle.
Low cloud has now rolled in from the sea after a glorious day :smile:
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms