Deepening low prediction/ cold outbreak Mid June

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Re: Deepening low prediction/ cold outbreak Mid June

Unread post by spwill »

I don't get your point. The country as a whole missed the pool of 500hPa cold air. The further east you went the better it got, hence the coastal Clutha area and Dunedin.
Much of the Southland Coast was still in the firing line for the wintry showers but your point is a fair one, the colder upper air out to the east as we have seen with on other occasions this winter.
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

Razor wrote:How on earth are the forecasters still seeing another wintry flick on Saturday? Looks to me like that High is going to dominate the South Island for at least a week now.
Models seem to be still predicting this flick Saturday night into Sunday Morning ,the flow is more South tending South East with this one,but I dont think it will be anything too substantial.

From what I can assume at the moment it will only effect the higher areas of Banks Peninsular ,Kiakoura and South Eastern parts of the North Island. :wave:

:-$ Another point to put in the Diary is 3rd of July. 0_o Keep your eyes on that one weather modellers. ;)
Weather Watcher
MetService Meteorologist
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Weather Watcher »

Here is a radar derived rainfall accumulation image for the 24 hours from midnight to midnight on Tuesday 16th June from the Invercargill radar. I have had to reduce the size and resolution of the image to get it within the required forum size limits.

The image shows how the precipitation was distributed across Southland in the southwesterly snow event (blue is light precipitataion, green is heavier, see scale on right side). It cleary shows the sheltering affect Stewart Island has over Invercargill in this southwest flow. The heaviest precipitation (mostly snow) is over eastern Southland and the Catlins, but there is still reasonable amounts in western and northern Southland. Invercargill is in a 'rain-shadow' from Stewart Island and received much less precipitation.

(FYI - the radial spikes over eastern Southland are due to partial beam blocking from radio masts and trees near the radar)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Weather Watcher on Fri 19/06/2009 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Well that solves that mystery. Now for the next question.... can MS free up these images on all radars? would be awesome to have free access to these images
sthguy
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by sthguy »

24 hours from midnight to midnight on Tuesday 16th June from the Invercargill radar
For at least the latter half of this time the wind flow had enough westerly component to bring showers back over coast areas so its not as clear cut as it sometime is. But it shows the peaks of rainfall to the west/NW and east and the isohyets orientation from SW - NE
Climate is what you expect. Weather is what you get.
southernthrash

Unread post by southernthrash »

Rain radar imagery is wildly inaccurate, and that image doesn't show a great deal tbh.

It is almost impossible to correlate that radar data to mm depths for precipitation.

Was interesting driving from Invercargill to Dunedin yesterday, patchy snow on the ground from just east of Mataura, still pretty thick through to Clinton, a little north of Balclutha, but by Milton - nothing, all gone, even on the highest hills around Dunedin.
Gary McConnochie

Unread post by Gary McConnochie »

southernthrash wrote:Rain radar imagery is wildly inaccurate, and that image doesn't show a great deal tbh.

Shows exactly what the satalite picture did, a sheltering effect from Stewart Island.
Vertigo

Unread post by Vertigo »

j--me--h wrote:Well that solves that mystery. Now for the next question.... can MS free up these images on all radars? would be awesome to have free access to these images
god yes! its one of the things i miss from the US level 3 data.