Prolonged June Anticyclone looming

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Razor

Prolonged June Anticyclone looming

Unread post by Razor »

Looks like a big fat Anticyclone in the Tasman Sea will dominate the next week or so of weather once this wee southerly flick moves on.

Expecting some cracker frosts from Wednesday onwards.
Christchurch Rocks
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Prolonged June Anticyclone looming

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

looks to be another SW burst on Friday, so not until the weekend that the high really takes hold
and then, yes, big frosts again expected
will be another record breaking cold month the way its going
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Now the main action is over on the precipitation front for us in canterbury...from tonight onwards its going to be a series of very frosty mornings for the next week or so. I see the forecast showers on Friday/ Saturday are looking less likely now too as the high ridges on with a bit more gusto.
Christchurch Rocks
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

You've jinxed the high, Razor. At least for the North Island it is coming in slower now. But the south is going to see some epic frosts from the weekend through until Tuesday at least. Could be some stunning photos to take out there...and perfect timing for the shortest day too.
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

Myself wrote:You've jinxed the high, Razor. At least for the North Island it is coming in slower now. But the south is going to see some epic frosts from the weekend through until Tuesday at least. Could be some stunning photos to take out there...and perfect timing for the shortest day too.
Yeah, totally agree, we could be in for a few record breakers thats for sure.Just looking at the models sent a chill through me bones. 8-o Think I might start the Report Your Frost Thread.
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

Yeah, I wonder what the lowest ever June temperature is in NZ. This doesn't look a bad situation to challenge that, provided this cold air can remain trapped and not be disrupted by any weak warming coming around the periphery of the high. Central Otago being notorious for trapping cold air will hopefully keep it, and then we will need cold temperatures in the first night or two of the high, before things get messed up and it just ends up foggy/stratussy.

In December 1995, Glasgow had a daily high of -12C. Oh, if only New Zealand could pull off such feats!
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I think the problem rather than record low temperatures will be smog problems from vehicle exhausts etc. especially in places like Waimate/Geraldine and parts of Dunedin and of course Christchurch but Christchurch should be OK as open fires will be banned shortly, this making inversions a thing of the past :o

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Should be some cracker frosts with the incoming high from Sunday until mid week atleast.
Does anyone remember back in 2000 or 2001 there was some big frosts up around Hanmer Springs which recorded -10C in the town and -14C in the forest.
There was several other severe frosts throughout that week but this one was the most severe and cracked pipes etc.
What was the situation which created this ie maps etc? i know its going back awhile.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Myself wrote:Yeah, I wonder what the lowest ever June temperature is in NZ. This doesn't look a bad situation to challenge that, provided this cold air can remain trapped and not be disrupted by any weak warming coming around the periphery of the high. Central Otago being notorious for trapping cold air will hopefully keep it, and then we will need cold temperatures in the first night or two of the high, before things get messed up and it just ends up foggy/stratussy.

In December 1995, Glasgow had a daily high of -12C. Oh, if only New Zealand could pull off such feats!
Although June 1992 was not very cold overall nationally (0.3C below average), temperatures were around 2C or more below in Central Otago, where there was a week of very severe frosts after heavy snowfalls, starting on the 16th. Snow lay in Queenstown for the remainder of the month. Record lows for June included -15.0C at Ranfurly and -14.7C at Lauder, -12.8C at Omarama and -10.3C at Queenstown. The NZ record for June is -15.7C, at Tekapo in 1927 and Manorburn Dam in 1941.
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

This massive high that looks ready to park itself in the Tasman and then slowly move eastward...could cause lots of problems (lots of rain/flooding) for Aussie's eastern coasts with a prolonged N/NE flow?
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

RWood wrote:Although June 1992 was not very cold overall nationally (0.3C below average), temperatures were around 2C or more below in Central Otago, where there was a week of very severe frosts after heavy snowfalls, starting on the 16th. Snow lay in Queenstown for the remainder of the month. Record lows for June included -15.0C at Ranfurly and -14.7C at Lauder, -12.8C at Omarama and -10.3C at Queenstown. The NZ record for June is -15.7C, at Tekapo in 1927 and Manorburn Dam in 1941.
I think you'll find that Omarama (Tara Hills) set a new national June record of -19.1°C in 2002, i.e.
-14.8°C 19th, -19.1°C 20th, -15.9°C 21st, -18.1°C 22nd, -12.2°C 23rd.

Lauder also beat its June record in 2002 with -15.4°C, as did Fairlie (-14.0) and Twizel (-13.0).

However, despite the heavy snowfalls and severe frosts in the South Island, a 'Weather-Bomb' in the North and torrential rain in both islands, June 2002 overall was also 'about as warm as it gets'. New record high mean-temps were set in nearly all the North Island's major centres, along with places like Nelson, Blenheim and Gore in the South.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

It seems to be a while since we had a 'record' warm month now...
Christchurch Rocks
David

Unread post by David »

It is so amazingly calm in Auckland today, the peak gusts are less than 10km/h!
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

This high is abit of an annoyance out east until Tuesday atleast, dragging those clouds ashore and occasional showers with cold southerly winds.
Mind you i surpose showers are better than drizzle although it possibly will be drizzly at times on Sunday,Monday.
The high should kick in from Wednesday until late Friday atleast.
Then another simular scenario to the other week actually where a complex set of lows and troughs formed in the Tasman sea, so some milder temperatures for the end of June perhaps.
Once again followed by a polar blast most likly early July, and probly another dry SW flow as well.
Still a wee way out, just waiting for one of those deep lows like we had last winter.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

That past system (polar blast) has been out east for days and looks like it will for another 4 or 5 days. Imagine if that was stuck over NZ like it is in the pacific.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm