1st weekend in July (South Island)

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
RWood

Re: 1st weekend in July (South Island)

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:
what they think are the basic criteria for a low level event in the plains are,
A High or strong Ridge to the S/SW of NZ is always a good start, need to get the very cold air up.

I see Chch has had only 4.7 hrs sunshine so far for July and cold with it, gloomy.
Wellington has had only 11.9 hrs in the 11 days to Sunday 5 July. Not a record-breaker, but very low on the list. Auckland sunshine total as at end-June is far ahead of the Ch'ch value, something that hasn't happened for many years.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

RWood wrote:
spwill wrote:

I see Chch has had only 4.7 hrs sunshine so far for July and cold with it, gloomy.
Wellington has had only 11.9 hrs in the 11 days to Sunday 5 July. Not a record-breaker, but very low on the list. Auckland sunshine total as at end-June is far ahead of the Ch'ch value, something that hasn't happened for many years.
Its been the lack of Southwesterlies on frequent running days which is good.Winter seems to be a better season than spring and early summer these days!
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Auckland sunshine total as at end-June is far ahead of the Ch'ch value, something that hasn't happened for many years.
I see the Cities have a similar sunshine average for the period, 8 hrs more for Chch.
Will Spring this year make up for the gloom down there with more sunny westerlies than normal.
CHCH Weather Chaser
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

63mm here in Westport Yesterday, period of torrential rain last night. Currently periods of heavy rain another 21mm so far today and raining hard atm. Yes interesting weather by the weekend id say.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
tich

Unread post by tich »

More fresh snow (above about 500m) on BP hills early this morning. Alps looked amazing looking over Ellesmere this morning (pity I didn't have my camera with me) as I was coming back.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:
Auckland sunshine total as at end-June is far ahead of the Ch'ch value, something that hasn't happened for many years.
I see the Cities have a similar sunshine average for the period, 8 hrs more for Chch.
Will Spring this year make up for the gloom down there with more sunny westerlies than normal.
I somewhat overlooked the different seasonal biases. Even so, Mangere is about 125 hours ahead of Ch'ch to end-June. It was 117 ahead at the same time in 2005 (and that lead was up to 200 by year-end). Back in 1994 it had a lead of 195, only 10 of which remained at the end of the year. Prior to that one has to go back to 1978 to find anything more than about +60, with quite a number of years having a substantial negative value.
MoorfNZ
Location: (300m asl) Waddington, inland mid-Canterbury, New Zealand

Unread post by MoorfNZ »

Snow was still on the ground (thin) this morning in Waddington, drove up to Springfield and it's white as - the Alps looked sooo majestic, too.

I took a mobile pic from car...

Did someone say more snow on way for weekend for inland Canters?
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

MoorfNZ wrote:Did someone say more snow on way for weekend for inland Canters?
Never said a thing, :-# what snow...... :-$ I did'nt call this one. :-w
:smile:
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Nice photo Moorfnz i bet those mountains looked nice, looks like your getting abit of sunshine inland aswel!! grr
I Have no idea what the weather is even meant to do this weekend sadly, i just haven't got the time to even take any notice lol.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
southerly-hunter
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by southerly-hunter »

Moorfnz, Sorry if I got anyone's hope's up as much as mine!
Yesterdays predicted maps for sat sun mon were looking pretty intense, then by the next lot 6 hours later they'de canned it. Looking weaker and further south and east now goddamn. I give up.
I'll probably have better luck if i start wishing for a month of sunshine and norwesters q-
MoorfNZ
Location: (300m asl) Waddington, inland mid-Canterbury, New Zealand

Unread post by MoorfNZ »

Ahh well, the chase is just as good ;)
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

If only the low over the North Island could track a little further south, it seems the way at the moment the NI pinching the lows :lol: .
This is a simular scenario to last weekend really except this is wrapped in from the low over the NI, so if our intial theories from last week about the SE flow hold true then there might be something to write home about.
I am picking the snow level to around 200m Sunday night especially, so sleety showers or small hail could be a possibility but again the majority of the showers will be north and south of the city.
Maybe we will get a hum dinger system in August perhaps _b :rolleyes: .
<3 Having said that roll on another day of sunshine :D :mrgreen: .
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms