Strong, Cold Southwest Flow over NZ - 18th-20th July

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Fujita Phil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Strong, Cold Southwest Flow over NZ - 18th-20th July

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Back from Queenstown. No new snow there this morning and the weather was clear and mild. Nothing on the trip back until this side of Alex when we hit the snow. The road between Alex and Roxborgh was snowy and a slow trip (we saw one crashed car). Snow again through the Gorge and falling as well.

Flakes blowing through here at 200m now but nothing much. Should have stayed in the mountains, much more pleasant
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
southerly-hunter
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by southerly-hunter »

Sounds a good trip through, i'm meant to head through to Ettrick, was the road ok through the gorge?
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Lots of thick slush in the gorge. Closer to Alex was dry snow (you know what i mean) being blown about with the wind and vehicles
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Showers obviously clipped Banks Peninsula last night and left a light dusting of snow on some hills around Akaroa Harbour above about 550m. However, fine day with only some scattered cloud. Should be frosty tonight.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Was up in Hanmer Springs for the weekend with a 4wd club, beautiful weather Saturday and today blue dome skies hardly any wind apart from today.
There was a few spots of light rain overnight although funninly enough if you looked up there were no clouds in the sky just stars, must have been getting blown from the Alps to the west.
I was expecting a few flurries in Hanmer too, as i say abit strong and blustery SW up there today.
Heaps of snow on the ground right up and past Lake Tennnisyon 20-25cm on the ground with about 50-60cm across the tops, we didnt need chains in the end but still got into some hairy situations :D .
Photo's in Off Topic tomorrow :wave: .
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms