Wintery Conditions Mid-Week in the South - July 14/15

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Re: Wintery Conditions for Mid Week 14th / 15th July

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes especially because the temperatures across the South Island are rather low at the moment, some more snow through the mckensie basin i would think overnight.
Further ahead on Friday/Saturday i am interested to see what happens when the scatterd rain over the top half of the SI combines with the cold SW change on Saturday, two completly different systems moving in different directions.
Otherwise if not just the usual SW event for Canterbury a few icy showers then fine weather while Otago and southland get the wintry weather with snow to near sea level.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
southerly-hunter
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by southerly-hunter »

Oww yeah, -1 on campbell island with a 40km southeasterly, here's hoping that we wake up to that air in the morning and a decent showery spell _b
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

3.6°C here with baro sitting on 992mb.
Fairly clear sky at the moment with no wind to speak of. _b
Charts are a bit of a mess at the moment,could go either way. :?:
melja

Re: Even Deeper low Fri sat 17th 18th July

Unread post by melja »

Nothing to busy about this weather! i would expect to see a lot of sun shine today.
southerly-hunter

Nothing much happening here, a real dead-zone.
Bit of a southerly-puff and cloudy but not looking like many showers likely, barometer gone up plenty overnight. q- boohoo
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

well if theres not a lot happening down your way i wont expect a lot in it further north then _b i only pit this _b here b'c ive gota work outside
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

nothing to see here today....except sunshine =D>
Last edited by Razor on Wed 15/07/2009 09:34, edited 2 times in total.
Christchurch Rocks
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Razor wrote:nothing to see here today....except sunshine =D>

Well not exactly sunshine but close enough lol. Just little bit of drizzle and dull skies that should clear up this afternoon somewhat. Im not at all surprised that this is the weather we are seeing, infact i would have been surprised if it was anything more. I cant understand the metservice to be completely honesty. Few SHowers, Snow on the hills" ?!?!?!? There was no way snow was going to fall to less than 400m and from what i have bene looking at all week i guessed itd fall to 600m /700m and i see thats what Blue Skies went for. Saturday is looking colder and low level snow possible but no moisture as the low far too east still and this has been consistent as well. I think the biggest thing to look out for is Heavy periods of rain in Northland on top of what they have had, even although i would say only 60%-70% chance of that happening

Over and Out
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Yeah the met service have been erring on the side of caution all winter for ChCh, and its starting to show- my missus never beleives the forecast now q-
Christchurch Rocks
southerly-hunter

Oh i think we've definately got the temps here for snow to 200m atleast but just no showers about.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

[Current Christchurch forecast from MetService...]
Wednesday
Max: 7 °C Min: 4 °C
(Day) (Overnight)
Cloudy spells. Light showers soon clearing. Southwest.
We'll take that as an admission that the observers here were more or less correct

[Edited by Nev: Wasn't initially clear if that first part was a forecast or a personal observation :smile: ]
Christchurch Rocks
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Saturday is looking colder and low level snow possible but no moisture as the low far too east still and this has been consistent as well.
Very cold upper air with a long sea track so there should be heavy wintry showers for exposed coastal areas, South Otago looks most in the firing line.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I would have thought atleast some scatterd showers today going by the fact there is 3 cold fronts racing up the east coast, but obviously not.
There was some very brief lighter rain here earlier this morning, but that was more to the north of us by the looks.
If some good showers had of come up with the southerly change we could have seen snow showers to near sea level, going by the fact at midnight it was -1C in many areas across the region.
Just a dry change really with overcast conditions, might as well not even be change if its going to do that :lol: .
This weekend still looks not too bad for the south island, although some GFS models want to confine it to a Saturday event now for Canterbury and not Sunday.
These models need a good clip around the ear, oi sort yourself out and make your mind up 8) >_< ;) .
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
CHCH Weather Chaser

Re: Wintery Conditions Mid-Week in the South - July 14/15

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Jasestrm wrote:I would have thought atleast some scatterd showers today going by the fact there is 3 cold fronts racing up the east coast, but obviously not.
There was some very brief lighter rain here earlier this morning, but that was more to the north of us by the looks.
If some good showers had of come up with the southerly change we could have seen snow showers to near sea level, going by the fact at midnight it was -1C in many areas across the region.
Just a dry change really with overcast conditions, might as well not even be change if its going to do that :lol: .
This weekend still looks not too bad for the south island, although some GFS models want to confine it to a Saturday event now for Canterbury and not Sunday.
These models need a good clip around the ear, oi sort yourself out and make your mind up 8) >_< ;) .
To be honest i never saw today's snow level lowering to anything under 600m. I think it was -1 in some areas at midnight due to clear, still conditions. The southerly would have warmed things up to at least 4 or 5 degrees i would that thought anyways. The funny thing now is Metservice are going for snow to 400m Saturday and i would of thought near sea level or at least 200m for this weekends clip. Yes, moisture is pathetic but very cold air for this one. So to wrap it up M/S today went for snow on the hills when it would of fell to above 600m at least if not higher and for Saturday are going for snow to 400m when it should be the odd wintry shower and snow showers to near sea level - 200m. I say no more. >_<
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

The flow for the weekend looks to be getting more and more sou' west in it all the time. I'd be gobsmacked if any snowy excitement makes it north of Dunedin in the next week or so.
Christchurch Rocks
Inny Binny

Unread post by Inny Binny »

when it should be the odd wintry shower and snow showers to near sea level - 200m. I say no more.
But if the moisture's way down you can't really get snow to very low levels. I can't imagine much more precip than today, which is none.

And this is hardly a fizzer, there was nothing there in the first place for there to be any large quantities of fizzing anyway. ;)
southerly-hunter

Yeah by jeez i sure have'nt had a craving for fizz this winter, the met service forecast charts have given us all a lethal dose of it! They must be scared of farmers i wonder. :lol:
But well what a cold day we had in dunedin temps hovering between 3 and 4 most of the day, but just dull with cloud looking like breaking at times, hardly a breeze around, any shower cloud must be south and east of here, we definately had the temps for snow well below 600m, as temps were around 2-3degrees this morning when we had cloud and a southerly breeze, it wasn't just frosty chill as temps on stewart island showed, what had been 8 degrees lastnight with a strong westerly became 3degrees this morning with a 30km southerly. Just no moisture.