What wind speeds flip cars?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZstorm

What wind speeds flip cars?

Unread post by NZstorm »

I came across some US research where a minivan was placed in a wind tunnel and tests done to see at what wind speeds the minivan flipped. It flipped every time in the 95 to 105kts range (175 km/h to 195km/h).
The minivan was most stable when winds were head on or rear on. It was least stable when winds were on an angle to the vehicle. Interesting findings.
Dale
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What wind speeds flip cars?

Unread post by Dale »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bcArT6TaaM

That might interest you Steven if not seen before. Not exactly a wind tunnel though..
Top Gear pitted a couple of cars against the jet blast of a 747 as a crosswind test, with some interesting results!
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

good one!
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Great clip Dale.

The interesting thing about the wind tunnel experiment is that it shows cars are safer places to be in very high winds than previously thought. Apart from wind blown objects coming through the windscreen, a car will stand up to exceptional wind fairly well.
Dale

Unread post by Dale »

Yes. Over my years of chasing, corepunching & sometimes being a little blasé & finding myself too close at the wrong time with no viable escape route is to aim your vehicle head on into the direction of outflow. Like the wind tunnel effect it will maximise your chances of riding the storm out rather than trying to outrun it and risk being thrown off the road when you round a bend at high speed, not only that, add a bit of water and its like skipping a stone off a pond.
Head on is usually the best way as opposed to baring your ass at it, a windscreen is laminated whereas side and rear window are very prone to blowing out.
Have been caught with my pants down on numerous occasions chasing back in SeQ with a couple of very expensive results.. they were also wind blown tree branches & a couple of monster hail blown screens from an RFD.. all part of the game i guess.