Temperature variations

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Richard

Temperature variations

Unread post by Richard »

For years Kaikoura's temperatures where taken out at the end of the Kaikoura peninsula,because its a lot cooler out at the wharfs compared to the main township it was moved there in the mid 90"s,because the locals felt it didn't give the town a good reflexion.But where SH1 goes through the main part Kaikoura is the part of the town that gets frosts and some good frosts too,where out at the wharf it doesn't.But TV weather forecasts will always show Kaikoura well above freezing all winter,do they use the recording station out at the wharf for the night time lows and the one in town for the day time max??or because Kaikoura like a number of other towns and citys around the country has a wide ranging microclimate that they average it out?

Christchurch is another classic example,Hornby could have a -5 frost ,central CHCH could be -2, but Sumner could be as high as 5C or 6C.
Point i'm making here is i think its a waste of time giving any projected temperatures when there's so much veneration.
RWood

Re: Temperature veneration's

Unread post by RWood »

Thye could do what they did when I was in the US years ago, give both maxima and minima for a range of locations, showing any averaging-out effects.
NZstorm

Re: Temperature variations

Unread post by NZstorm »

The Kaikoura recordings were taken on top of the hill out on the peninsula, a cool site by day.

I think readings should be taken in city parks in the town centre, for instance Albert Park in Auckland or Hagley Park Christchurch. Temperature readings need to be in a park setting to avoid distortions from buildings. And the forecasts should be based on those locations. People learn to interpret a forecast for their area. The Met Service pretty much follow this rule.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

I think you are right Steven, Kaikoura's recording were taken up on top,which would have been even cooler than out by the wharfs.

Problem is a lot of people cant interpret a forecast for there area andto help those people the Met Service should do what BOM in Austarlia do and forecast temps for different parts of the main cities
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Richard wrote:Problem is a lot of people cant interpret a forecast for there area
I think you are grossly underestimating most people's weather awareness... :?