Weather station purchase advice

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
CHCH Weather Chaser
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Weather station purchase advice

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

I'm after some much needed advice. I am looking to purchase my own weather station and have no idea what sort to get and how to go about it. I want something that is accurate and not too expensive. Ideally 10 min rain totals frequencies or greater. If anyone could let me know where to go from here that would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Mark
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Tornado Tim

Re: Weather station purchase advice

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Davis Vantage Pro2 all the way, LOL!
Cabled VP2 NZ Prices from http://www.davisnet.co.nz are around $1000.
Lacrosse stations often report higher temps and have a issue with interference due to the dodgy cabling (but that can be fixed by replacing it)
If you wish to be a bit more adventurous, you may want to try out the Vantage Vue, but minus the good wind measurements because the anemometer cant be detached from it.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
john1950
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by john1950 »

Can anyone suggest a recommendation for a remote WX station that provides data via a cellphone connection that I can set up in an area we are working in?
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

john1950 wrote:Can anyone suggest a recommendation for a remote WX station that provides data via a cellphone connection that I can set up in an area we are working in?
Know any radio hams? They can help set up a 1 Wire station via APRS, no ongoing cellular costs and the sky is the limit for individual instruments if you so desire (or just a basic low cost station). Best of all, we can all get to benefit from the info via APRS into Weather Underground.