General September Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Nev

Re: General September Weather

Unread post by Nev »

Looks like a few Sep records were broken in E'ern Otago yesterday. Timaru Gardens recorded 28.2°C and Timaru Aero 27.4°C, beating last year's record of 26.9°C and 26.4°C respectively. Likewise for Oamaru town with 26.1°C (previously 25.3°C in 2008) and the second highest for Oamaru Aero with 26.4°C (highest 26.6°C in 2008). Alexandra's 29°C also easily beat its 1999 record of 27.0°C.

Also a couple of comments from The Dominion Post...
Capital spared freak weather
Last updated 05:00 15/09/2009
... The temperature in Christchurch jumped from 9 degrees celsius to 21C in just 20 minutes before 9am yesterday. MetService spokesman Robert Kerr said the temperature spike would have been caused by moisture in the air being "rained out" over the West Coast before it blew across the Southern Alps and arrived in Christchurch. "That's just a big jump. It will be going on above Christchurch quite commonly but it won't always get to the surface." ... The temperature in Masterton jumped from 8C to 16C in two hours yesterday morning. "They're getting a similar effect but on nowhere near the same sort of scale." ...
Couple of other interesting stories...
'Strong winds buffet Otago'
'We're eating their dust and now they want it back' :D

EDIT: Amended error for Oamaru Aero.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I want to see that 29C for Alexandra confirmed in the NIWA records. It would be fairly unusual for Alexandra to be top of the temperature list in NW conditions. There was an occasion back on 21/1/1956 when it reached 99.0F, and that was almost certainly the highest reading for that day barring one of 100.5F at Roxburgh, but I don't have any data regarding wind directions for that long ago. Normally the highest values in these situations (when the NW flow has not progressed too far north) would occur on the Canterbury plains or coast, or sometimes eastern Otago - Musselburgh recorded 35.7C in Jan 1981, well ahead of Alexandra.
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

I think the high cloud over canty stopped the temperature getting higher there maybe?
also the strongest winds were through Otago, which might explain why Alex got the highest temp?
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

They are saying here that the dust may have come from even further than lake Erie.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/australian ... ert-storm/
Paul Mallinson
Meteorologist (Retired)

Unread post by Paul Mallinson »

Tornado Tim wrote:Overcast and slightly foggy here, mild temps.
Happy Birthday Paul Mallinson, =D> I hope you have a great birthday! :party:
Make sure the Metservice do something for ya, perhaps throw you a thunderstorm! ;)
What a surprise! Many thanks.

No, nothing flash happened around here today. No interesting weather to get one's teeth into!

Paul
Manukau heads obs

Happy birthday Paul :)
Philip Duncan

Unread post by Philip Duncan »

Sorry DT-NZ haven't been in here for a while - actually was funny you wrote what you wrote as my blog for the Herald and WW today was about using the words "Freakish" (credit: Richard Green for that!) and "Bizarre". It was SUCH a relief to use words like that rather than "boring". :-)

Yesterday was certainly one of the "weirdest" weather days I've seen in a while...and it all seemed so out of the blue!

Happy Birthday Paul...I guess it's nice to have a 'day off' on your birthday with no thunderstorms around :-)

BTW all - I'm going to be visiting Atlanta shortly and because our company has a close relationship with CNN I'll be getting a personal 4 hour tour/meeting with CNN's weather units... plus a significant meeting with our weather partners at The Weather Channel (Weather.com). I'll be sure to post an indepth comment about that after my visit - I'm quite excited about it. Am most keen about seeing CNN's "domestic" weather centre.

Will be stuck in a hotel later that night so will hopefully post my comments/views on how 'they do it' afterwards if anyone is interested??

Cool but lovely clear night, some cirrus, here in Auckland. Lots of stars...none shooting though.

Cheers,
Phil.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

RWood wrote:I want to see that 29C for Alexandra confirmed in the NIWA records. It would be fairly unusual for Alexandra to be top of the temperature list in NW conditions...
Yes fair comment RWood. NIWA's new site at Pioneer Park only recorded 26.6°C yesterday. Data from the other older site that NIWA monitors isn't available yet, which I think is more residential and has also moved several times in the past. Currently it appears to read about 1-2°C higher than the new Pioneer Park site, so I expect it should exceed NIWA's 27.0°C Sep record, but possibly might not be as high as the rounded 29°C that MetService reported to the media.

Note that TV (and Weatherwatch) reported 24°C as MetService's high for Napier on Sunday, yet NIWA has MetService's Napier Aero figure (usually reported in the NZ Herald) as only 22.1°C. Likewise, 24°C was also reported as MetService's Napier high on Aug 26, yet NIWA only has 20.9°C for Napier Aero and 22.6°C for Napier Nelson Park, which incidentally beats the 22.2°C in Timaru that NIWA reported as being last August's 'highest national temp'. Go figure! #-o

:D bd Paul \:D/
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I want to see that 29C for Alexandra confirmed in the NIWA records. It would be fairly unusual for Alexandra to be top of the temperature list in NW conditions.
Alex had the sunshine, wave cloud cleared South Canty pm hence 27C at Timaru
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Evening,

Well it has been an exceptionally hectic full day all round ... and usually by now I am out... asleep... however... I am still winding down *tired yawn*

Anyway I could not let this fantastic spring day come to end... without sharing a few fog scapes (smile) from the far north I took this morning... so here we go...
150909-00.jpg
Lightning in NZ
The right terminology lends a hint as to the nature of the different forms.
A Vertigo Quote.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

one more... a Foggy gift for Paul (smile) anyway... Happy Birthday... and all that jazz :wave: hoping you had a wonderful day - take care.

Taken from Rangikapiti... @ 07.09hrs
150909-03.jpg
Camera: Canon Compact Digi - Mode: Landscape
ISO 80 -1/1600 - F9.0
Exposure settings (minus)`-1 | 2/3
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Thanks Nev...and BTW if anyone has seen a summarised list of extreme temperatures recorded in NZ by month, I'd like to see it. There's nothing in CliFlo that allows those numbers to be calculated easily.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Hello Phil :wave:

Well... enjoy Atlanta... it was awesome to read your news this evening _b and, I am looking forward to hearing of your experience and reading of your updates when return, so, wishing you safe journeys and travels... there and back... take care :smile:
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Stunning fog photos DT. _b That's exactly how Monday arvo's fog looked like from here! Many thanks. :wave:
Manukau heads obs

Lucky you Phillip! ;)
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Phil, maybe you should try to stall that visit for say 7 or 8 months and try to catch some real weather while you are over there?

Sounds good though, I look forward to you sharing the experience.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Alanta I think is where clear channel is(part owner of trn).
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Anyway back to weather another sunny mild day,15c already.The way its going could be a record sept for sunshine totals much of N.Z.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Now confirmed - NIWA's older Alexandra site did record exactly 29.0°C on Monday.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Interesting - it's definitely a minority situation in NW conditions (Alex. topping the list that is).
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Anyway back to weather another sunny mild day,15c already.The way its going could be a record sept for sunshine totals much of N.Z.
And dry, I see Auckland Airport has had only 2.5mm for Sep, there looks to be possibilities for good rainfall from mid next week.
Paul Mallinson
Meteorologist (Retired)

Unread post by Paul Mallinson »

DT-NZ wrote:one more... a Foggy gift for Paul (smile) anyway... Happy Birthday... and all that jazz :wave: hoping you had a wonderful day - take care.

Taken from Rangikapiti... @ 07.09hrs
150909-03.jpg
Camera: Canon Compact Digi - Mode: Landscape
ISO 80 -1/1600 - F9.0
Exposure settings (minus)`-1 | 2/3
Thanks DT-NZ. What a great picture that is - even looks like a candle on a cake!!

Cheers,

Paul
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

These days are just absolute stunners latly, even a day such as today light NE winds possibly NW inland and the temperature is 19C.
Just amazing not only the frequency of sunshine hours so far this month but the average day time maximums as well.
Does anyone have any data links for the sea temperatures around New Zealand at the moment?, i would imagine the sea temperatures will be warming up quickly.
We hardly had any southerly flows in August mainly all westerly, which would warm the temperatures up in the ocean currents.
Earlier warmer waters could mean a much better season for thunderstorms in Canterbury, however the land is drying up abit now as we are still searching for the first mil of rain this month.
Looks like a continued pattern of westerly winds ahead, although there is a low system next week which could pass over the South Island with some better depth.
Yesterday there was some upper cumulus in the afternoon which developed from a fresh NE down below and a SW up top.
But i must say i am enjoying these last few months better than the dreary overcast June/July _b .
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Manukau heads obs

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/i ... jsp?c=ssta

shows water close to NZ, especialy the SI, is warmer than normal, yes
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Amendment Jason - your July was significantly sunnier than average.

First 10 days of Sept gave us a lot of sun here, but today has been the 4th cloudy/overcast one of the 6 following.