General September Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Philip Duncan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General September Weather

Unread post by Philip Duncan »

Michael wrote:Alanta I think is where clear channel is(part owner of trn).
Yep, they own 50% of us - don't know if I'll be popping in to see them or not...only have 24 hours there.
David

Unread post by David »

Another brilliant day here, 7° start to 20° this afternoon 8)
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

RWood wrote:Amendment Jason - your July was significantly sunnier than average.

First 10 days of Sept gave us a lot of sun here, but today has been the 4th cloudy/overcast one of the 6 following.
100 hours in the first 13 days wasn't it? Not bad at all. Should easily reach average for the month even if we only creep along slowly.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Our cold winter was rather sunny here,lot more S unlike the year before was WNW was quite predominant though 08 was wetter.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Myself wrote:
RWood wrote:Amendment Jason - your July was significantly sunnier than average.

First 10 days of Sept gave us a lot of sun here, but today has been the 4th cloudy/overcast one of the 6 following.
100 hours in the first 13 days wasn't it? Not bad at all. Should easily reach average for the month even if we only creep along slowly.
In fact it was 89.5 in 10 days, but 11, 12 and 14 had none, with not much today. I'm hoping for a return to the earlier conditions and a total well above average.
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

RWood wrote:
In fact it was 89.5 in 10 days, but 11, 12 and 14 had none, with not much today. I'm hoping for a return to the earlier conditions and a total well above average.
At the moment we're above average for the year, so could there be a chance of another ~2200 year? 2007 and 2008 both reached around 2200...is it rare for Wellington to get 3 years in a row reaching 2200 sunshine hours? It's a pretty impressive total considering our position.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Myself wrote:
RWood wrote:
At the moment we're above average for the year, so could there be a chance of another ~2200 year? 2007 and 2008 both reached around 2200...is it rare for Wellington to get 3 years in a row reaching 2200 sunshine hours? It's a pretty impressive total considering our position.
It's never happened, but 3 of the last 4 have been over 2200. The 30-year mean has been steadily rising and will cross 2100 this year. The average of the last 25 years (1984-2008) is 2126.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

For those that haven't already seen it, thought this story from The Press might be of interest.
Below are just a few excerpts. It also has some comments from TonyT ... ;-)
Canterbury drought likely, say forecasters
Last updated 05:00 16/09/2009

...Barely any rain has fallen along the South Island's east coast this month, with only 0.2 millimetres recorded in Christchurch and none in Kaikoura and Oamaru. The dry start to September follows three months of below-average rainfall. Christchurch has had just 111.8mm of rain since June 1, about 100mm less than, and only 53 per cent of the long-term average.

...Timaru had its hottest September day in 124 years of records on Monday, when the temperature soared to 28.2 degrees Celsius, beating the previous highest September temperature of 26.4C, recorded last year. Other temperature records broken on Monday include Orari with 27.5C and Cromwell with 26C. Oamaru had its second-highest September maximum of 26.4C, as did Dunedin with 25.4C.

(full story...)
Note that Timaru's previous record should be 26.9°C (the 26.4°C was Timaru Aero's previous record).
And although it was only the second-highest max for Oamaru Aero, Oamaru Town still beat last year's Sep record of 25.3C with 26.1°C.

Edited typo.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Looks like an easterly surge for the weekend according to the metservice map.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Yes, fingers crossed :)

Severe Convection/Thunderstorm Outlook

Quietly trying to clear my afternoon ;)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

T/S often buildup over the eastern ranges from building cbs and glaciation can be seen(from the west) on those days.could be one of those days,currently its p.c with mid level stratocumulus (the clouds were moving in from the NW now the SW) but day heating looks likely.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Myself wrote: At the moment we're above average for the year, so could there be a chance of another ~2200 year? 2007 and 2008 both reached around 2200...is it rare for Wellington to get 3 years in a row reaching 2200 sunshine hours? It's a pretty impressive total considering our position.
As a slight aside but on the general subject of sunshine, some explanation is needed as to why "current" totals at Martinborough are as low as they are. A manual site there recorded sunshine from 1968 to mid-1971, and annual totals were significantly higher than those at Wellington or Masterton, which is what I would expect. However both the manual and EWS sites used since 1986 have given consistently lower totals than Wellington. The EWS is supposed to have a good exposure.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Nev wrote:Stunning fog photos DT. _b That's exactly how Monday arvo's fog looked like from here! Many thanks. :wave:
Thank's Nev :wave: and also (apologies for posting this here, however, slow connection today (frustrating) a great timelapse Foggy (weather blog) _b

A great spring day with sunshine and light winds - currently 17.8 C out.
Lightning in NZ
The right terminology lends a hint as to the nature of the different forms.
A Vertigo Quote.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Warming up slightly currently 21.5 °C out - just checked Alan's website (KWS) currently 20.2°C out - clouds starting to build up.
Lightning in NZ
The right terminology lends a hint as to the nature of the different forms.
A Vertigo Quote.
David

Unread post by David »

Surprised to get back home from the city this evening and see a high of 21.4°C recorded earlier in the day...it did not feel that warm at all in the city and I see Ricky's station only got 19.3°C. Perhaps more cloud in central areas - did notice a few darkish clouds hanging around at times.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Weve been honestly had a good run of stable weather of late,looks like a westerly flow will be established late next week.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Michael wrote:Weve been honestly had a good run of stable weather of late,looks like a westerly flow will be established late next week.
...so for here, more stable weather #-o <3

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Wouldnt be surprised if the airport is closed,such gusta fog here today,its mild with 11-12c.
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Interesting numbers showing up for the middle of next week from GFS model...cold blast on the way? ECMWF not showing it, though....
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

seems next weeks pattern has been hard to pick for the models...they have been all over the place....yes latest gfs has a polar high budding off...and a cold southerly outbreak...
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Not sure what to make of the latest GFS, I would discount it and see if the cold air is still there in the 00Z run.
Would be interesting for the South Island if it is.

Looks like a trough may spoil Auckland's weekend weather. Fog is lifting here now.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Will be interesting if we do get a southerly outbreak,been such a long time since the last one
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I seen that last night before doing my forecast on my site which i hadnt done in awhile.
It would be a good set up for thunderstorms and hail if it continues to predict this, and snow to low levels but very little precipitation would mean only light dustings.
NWer has been fair blowing out this way this morning, gusting up to gale force at times.
I even had to stack the patio chairs as they were being chucked around, still strong and blustery but not like it was from 7-9am.
Surposed to be showers later on with the SW change some heavy predicted by the MS, i think yesterday there was a low risk up havnt seen todays yet.
But that would make sense air today would be abit too dry for any significant convection.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Dale

Unread post by Dale »

Michael wrote:Wouldnt be surprised if the airport is closed,such gusta fog here today,its mild with 11-12c.
What a snorter of a fog that was too!
About 11pm as I was locking down for the night for a few seconds I really did think the Bombays & most of Auckland had a power cut, just absolutely zero visibility & was much the same until just after 7am when it started to lift.
Havent seen one like that for a while 8-o
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Very interesting to note that at the airport /metservice station they have been recording wind speeds of 44km/h and 52km/h NW over the past 2 hours. The maximum wind gust since midnight has been 37km/h here and only a very slight breeze over the last 2 hours. I would say gusting 20km/h at most. Up to 17 degrees here and thick high cloud.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm