General November Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
snowstormwatcher

Re: General November Weather

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

fine here northwest wind has just change to a more cooler easterly
CHCH Weather Chaser
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Another lovely day here in CHCH. Up to 19 degrees with no wind to speak off. Plenty of heat in the sun. Feels warmer than the 19 with sun out as if is a light southerly airflow.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
David

Unread post by David »

A nice warm afternoon with lots of sunshine here, despite the SW breeze :)
Manukau heads obs
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

you must be just east enough David to have the cloud burn off
we have been cloudy all afternoon here, after only 1 hour of sunshine before lunch
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
David

Unread post by David »

Manukau heads observer wrote:you must be just east enough David to have the cloud burn off
we have been cloudy all afternoon here, after only 1 hour of sunshine before lunch
Yes it's strange, blue skies overhead and to the east of me at the moment but a persistent thick cloud bank to the west - so no sunshine this evening...
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looks like generally cool stable conditions prevailing this week across NZ. Hopefully this SW pattern can break up for next week.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Why wont that high move?Why wont a low develop there? is there no jetstream above it? Guess its all over us from the south.Its like this the entire 168hr plus more by the looks of period of ECMWF.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Hopefully this SW pattern can break up for next week.
If you live in Melbourne you will be liking this current pattern , they are on the warm side of the High and sheltered http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV10450.shtml February weather over there.

Long spells of SouthWesterlies are normal here at this time of year but this flow is looking more persistant and cooler than normal , no prefrontal northerlies , still cool SW across the country in 10 days time on the ECMWF. :crazy:
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Ny sister in melbourne today told me its 30c for days over there.I remember May 2003 have to check was like that.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

There seems to be a persistent upper ridge sitting over the Aussie continent which is favouring surface high pressure to develop over SE Australia/western Tasman which keeps us in a persistent SW pattern. I hope this pattern changes soon.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

If you live in Melbourne you will be liking this current pattern , they are on the warm side of the High and sheltered http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV10450.shtml February weather over there.
The average Nov temps for Melbourne are, max 21.7C, min 11C, similar to Auckland Albert park, max 20.3C min 13.2C
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

When I ever been there to Mlb its colder than Auckland though it hardly rained but if it did was showers or just threatening overcast but it was mostly in Winter time.On topic this will become disturbed the way this pattern is heading even westerly.
Hopefully that small trough will ease the wind even if it rains buffering us from that deep low and intense high,give a break from daily sweeping of pineneedles 8)
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

spwill wrote:The average Nov temps for Melbourne are, max 21.7C, min 11C, similar to Auckland Albert park, max 20.3C min 13.2C
Those stats look like long term averages. Melbourne's 1971-2000 Nov averages are - max 21.8°C, min 12.2°C, and Albert Park's are - max 19.9°C, min 13.0°C. Melbourne's climate is also a little more extreme, with Nov temps probably more akin to Chch in Dec/Jan, given that on average it exceeds 30°C about 3 times during Nov. It's also a little sunnier and drier than Akld in Nov, despite spring being its wettest season. Melbourne's annual rainfall is also about half that of Akld.

Btw, Melbourne recorded 32.2°C on Saturday and 34.0°C on Sunday and it's forecast to reach 34°C today and 32°C tomorrow, which would match their Nov record of 4 consecutive days above 30°C.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Yes Nev, Melbourne is famous for its hot/cold climate, a different style of climate to that of Auckland however like Auckland it is exposed to the spring westerly pattern so spring temps are fairly similar in the averages :smile: I posted those temperature averages to show just how much warmer than normal this November is for them.
They have a hotter summer, we have a warmer winter.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

I would rather have this winter just gone over this weather were now having.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I hope (when I return to NZ) that the pattern either stays SW or becomes anticyclonic, the latter not being very likely in the late spring in an El Nino. Much better for W'gton than the very unpleasant October there, definitely in the "decile 1" category. Incidentally both Melbourne and Perth have (yet again in Melbourne's case) significant rainfall deficiencies YTD, consistent with the general decline in rainfall in the SW and SE of the country.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Wellington at this stage last month had 39.1 h sun to date compared to ours 20.4.we caught up in the second 1/2 of the month.as of now or sun is 37.8h 2/3 behind Wellington 60.0 mtd,rainfall not much but rather even have the rain than the high wind run were having this month.As again another dry dreary windy day so though yestrday isnt collated yet,was some afternoon sun here it wont add much to it.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Yes, fair comment spwill - just interesting comparing the climate variations of the two cities. I see Melbourne barely got below 20°C last night and had already hit 30°C by 10am his morn. :cool:

Re Akld's sunshine, Mangere recorded 5.7 hrs yesterday (slightly more than Saturday), while Wgtn recorded a further 10.7 hrs. However, I doubt that either city will be recording much today.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Jamie H or Tornado Tim probably can answer this How come Auckland is so windy today wheres in Hamilton less than 100km as the crow flies from here and had the "same flow" according to metservice was no more than fresh only in the morning?
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Dont know when youre back but ECMWF goes way out to the 19th exactly the same after some southerly rain at times in the east and likely to extend past that period....Old fashioned Auckland weather of years gone by :rolleyes:
RWood wrote:I hope (when I return to NZ) that the pattern either stays SW or becomes anticyclonic, the latter not being very likely in the late spring in an El Nino. Much better for W'gton than the very unpleasant October there, definitely in the "decile 1" category. Incidentally both Melbourne and Perth have (yet again in Melbourne's case) significant rainfall deficiencies YTD, consistent with the general decline in rainfall in the SW and SE of the country.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Ick, this conversation got me remembering the mid 40 temps in Melbourne last Summer. No thanks.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Never been in "real world" weather like you are mentioning but if you open the oven door when baking a cake it may give an idea? Anyway the cake wont rise :lol:
tgsnoopy wrote:Ick, this conversation got me remembering the mid 40 temps in Melbourne last Summer. No thanks.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Michael wrote:Dont know when youre back but ECMWF goes way out to the 19th exactly the same after some southerly rain at times in the east and likely to extend past that period....Old fashioned Auckland weather of years gone by :rolleyes:
RWood wrote:I hope (when I return to NZ) that the pattern either stays SW or becomes anticyclonic, the latter not being very likely in the late spring in an El Nino. Much better for W'gton than the very unpleasant October there, definitely in the "decile 1" category. Incidentally both Melbourne and Perth have (yet again in Melbourne's case) significant rainfall deficiencies YTD, consistent with the general decline in rainfall in the SW and SE of the country.
Not back till 26th. In case southerlies don't go more SW-erly I'll make the most of tropical savannah heat (though the dry season would be preferred of course). I saw that W'gotn's MTD rain to 7th was negligible, hope that keeps up as far as is realistic. 36C in Rio yesterday but I wasn't in the area. Arica, Chile has had zero rain this year so far (not even a "trace").
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looks like ground frosts this morning in the inland South Island and central NI going by some of the temps. 0C at Taupo and Omarama.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

think the sst has lots to do with this theyre not rising at all.Ii am however surprised though ts been SW apart from a week or so ago though consistant they havent been as strong as in previous years,perhaps its not warm enough yet and the dreaded convection we get still has been absent,What would like to see is a couple of days of good cross winds even strong westerlies,Northerly quater winds (the stronger as they always rather weak) better and clear the pine needles off the roof.