General November Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Nev

Re: General November Weather

Unread post by Nev »

MetService were warning of westerly gales 'with severe gale gusts of 120 km/h' in exposed places of the SE of the North Island this morn. Well they've certainly been getting that by the looks with 98 km/h mean-winds at Wairapapa's Castlepoint at 6am and 65 km/h on the Takapau Plains - warm too with 18C in S Wairapapa. Windy down south also - Invergargill recording 67 km/h mean-winds and 72 km/h at Stewart Island's SW Cape.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

The tv had Ak as 22 °yesterday it said in the herald 19.3° perhaps it was taken elsewhere.
Herald reading is from Auckland Airport, a cool location on a Sou Wester.
DT-NZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Afternoon, well another day of clear sunny blue skies overhead and if this is a hint of a long, dry summer to come... bluk... I'm not looking forward to it... anway, things are starting to heat up and that air is warming too - currently 23.7 C out in the shade. stay cool - take care.
Lightning in NZ
The right terminology lends a hint as to the nature of the different forms.
A Vertigo Quote.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Nev wrote: And yes, yesterdays high temps all appear to have peaked between 3pm and 4pm. :-#
Yes, it was the strangest thing, why? mostly impart I felt the intensity of the heat coming from outside inside and I could see the heat shimmer outside - noting the time it was 15:10hrs I watched the temp rise from 30.1 to 30.5 in 5mins.

30.5 was the high here and Hukerenui reached a high of 30.4 (both readings in the shade).
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

and yet at the same time, we were under cloud cover here on the west coast, and only at 18C
i.e it was an inversion layer with warmer air above
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Hang on ... which days are you guys talking about?
DT quoted me from yesterday (Wed) referring to the day before that (Tue).

Either way 30C plus sounds extraordinarily high compared to other 'official sites' in the far north, which were at least 5C lower, although Alan's Kerikeri site managed 25.3C on Tue and 26.4C on Wed.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

DT-NZ wrote:
Nev wrote: And yes, yesterdays high temps all appear to have peaked between 3pm and 4pm. :-#
Yes, it was the strangest thing, why? mostly impart I felt the intensity of the heat coming from outside inside and I could see the heat shimmer outside - noting the time it was 15:10hrs I watched the temp rise from 30.1 to 30.5 in 5mins.

30.5 was the high here and Hukerenui reached a high of 30.4 (both readings in the shade).
Ummmmm whats so odd about that? the temp here always peaks in the summer at about 3.30pm 4pm here.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Sooner we see the backside of this month the better,hopefully December will have more lows in the tasman/or to the north or antiyclonic NNW flows.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Must be 50 knots here Trees sound like a machine and pine needles falling like rain out of a blue sky.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

jamie.h wrote:
Ummmmm whats so odd about that? the temp here always peaks in the summer at about 3.30pm 4pm here.
OH, well I did not know that! honestly, however, now I do... I so love learning about weather... thank you jamie.h - awesome _b
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Nev wrote:Hang on ... which days are you guys talking about?
DT quoted me from yesterday (Wed) referring to the day before that (Tue).

Either way 30C plus sounds extraordinarily high compared to other 'official sites' in the far north, which were at least 5C lower, although Alan's Kerikeri site managed 25.3C on Tue and 26.4C on Wed.
Alright, so I dont have an official site ( my apologies, and I do know and respect how important the official weather sittes are for collecting weather data, I know that - I get that ) and I may not have the correct weather equipment like the weather guys... but, I do make an weather effort atleast to give a report from here, because I enjoy so, simple as that. Now, If its a problem, please tell me directly and I will not give or post temp readings, honestly I will not keel over, collapse or die - you just get on with it, next.

Those readings for yesterday were the digital readings on temperature gadget, otherwise I would have posted them.
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
David

Unread post by David »

Surprisingly strong SW wind here today, late afternoon/ early evening some gusts around 60km/h. Has eased now
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

Michael wrote:Must be 50 knots here Trees sound like a machine and pine needles falling like rain out of a blue sky.
Highest mean speed at the airport was 24 knots. Gusts could not have been too much higher than that (certainly no where near 50 knots) because they did not report them.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Hi DT, I think you may have read more into my post than was intended and yes, I for one appreciate your weather-reports from the far north. I'm not saying the temps you posted aren't correct (I know how damn hot it can get in some places up there), but anytime someone posts temps that extreme, it's bound to raise a few eyebrows. ;)

Assuming your temp-gauge is reasonably accurate, I'd be interested to know where and how you have it sited. Finding the ideal spot to place a home temp-gauge (presumably unscreened) is never easy and (going by some of reader-reports on Weatherwatch) most folks don't seem to be aware of the many factors that can influence a reading. Usually with home temp-gauges it's a case finding the best compromise. I'm sure some members would be happy to offer a few pointers.

Btw, I usually highlight the word 'official' because... well... there's 'official' and then there's 'official'... :-s

P.S. I wouldn't say that temps 'always' peak in the summer around 3.30pm to 4pm. That would only be the case in very general terms and only if winds were consistent throughout the day.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

we had gusts to 32 knots here
just a sea breeze as far as the SW goes here, LOL
not as strong as forecasted (40 knot gusts), and its eased a bit now

but often inland the wind can actually get stronger with the heating of the land in the afternoon I have found, as strong or stronger than on the exposed coast, for a while
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Morning Nev :wave:

Thank you for your wisdom and knowledge on all things to do with the nature of weather. I for one greatly appreciate, respect and do listen and take note of what you write and share with us, and its an awesome priviledge just to be here on the NZWF amongst I reckon this country's, New Zealand's finest and best of the best thunderstorm chasing, tracking weather guys _b.

The temp gauge is one you can readily get from any gardening center, warehouse outlet :rolleyes: as to its accuracy well *DT throws her hands in the air in exasperation* I just need to post this for now - havnt quite finished writing what I wanted to post - brb.
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Strong northwest wind has just developed in the last hour pushing the temp up from 15 at 11am to 23 now.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Hasn't reached Chch yet - still a 'normal' 18.9C at Jeff's station.
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

As snowstormwatcher has said, though, once the NW'er has kicked in..watch out...looks as though from the satellite this high cloud will move off and temp will rocket up ...will guestimate by late arvo...
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Weetbicks

Unread post by Weetbicks »

I think it has now reached chch going by the temperature readings. 15 to almost 22 in the last hour.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Yes it's here - now 25C.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Nev wrote:Assuming your temp-gauge is reasonably accurate, I'd be interested to know where and how you have it sited. Finding the ideal spot to place a home temp-gauge (presumably unscreened) is never easy and (going by some of reader-reports on Weatherwatch) most folks don't seem to be aware of the many factors that can influence a reading. Usually with home temp-gauges it's a case finding the best compromise. I'm sure some members would be happy to offer a few pointers.
Hopefully I have the temp-guage in the right place now, after carefully re-reading your post this morning I have elevated and positioned it at a higer level and end of the house. when I first got it earlier on this year I was told not to site it on the NE side (sunny) of the house - so I put it in a room and threw the cable out the window on the SW end on ground level and it's stayed there ever since until today that is when I moved it to a different spot.

Yes, you are correct (thanks Nev _b ) in that I have diffinately noted and observed different temp readings today compared to yesterday's - so much so that I feel quietly confident that I now possibly may have this little home temp-guage sited in the right place.

At 15:30hrs today to do a double-check I visited Alan's weather station to check the temp reading from his website and it said 24.4 C, I then checked the temp reading from here and it said it 24.7 (YAY :bounce: ) :smile: I'll be noting the temp readings over the next 24hrs.
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Northwesterly still blowing strong here warm as well currently 25 degrees.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Blowing like "16 of them" , ...since 4:30pm. Half of our new cut hay, seems to be in the next paddock 8-o
I see there is a fire to the WSW of here, towards TC. :eek:
Don't need that in these NW conditions [-X

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: I see there is a fire to the WSW of here, towards TC. :eek:
Don't need that in these NW conditions [-X

JohnGaul
NZThS
about 5 hours till the southerly and the rain though according to taf.