General November Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Re: General November Weather

Unread post by spwill »

From personal observations, I think Akld Aero represents a very good average of temps for the greater Akld region
The Airport has cooler max temp on a SW flow, a warmer max on a NE flow, often max temps vary around Auckland by a couple of C according to flow.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Clearing skies produced a light ground frost here this morning. :eek: :eek:
Down to 0.6C in the screen >_<
Thankfully the courgettes and tomato plants are OK. May need covering if more cool nights are on the cards.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

spwill wrote:The Airport has cooler max temp on a SW flow, a warmer max on a NE flow, often max temps vary around Auckland by a couple of C according to flow.
For more central areas and generally speaking yes, although not always. Btw, the other 3 sites used for TV are Ardmore Aero, Whenuapai Aero and Whangaparaoa. And about half the time the rounded TV temps do match Akld Aero and for the other half they're usually within a degree or two.

However, re the 'Greater Auckland Region', i.e. from Warkworth to Pukekohe, some will be cooler than Akld Aero in a SW flow and some will be cooler in a NE flow. Interestingly, even the Mangere site, just 5km away, is generally cooler than the airport.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Ardmore Aero, Whenuapai Aero and Whangaparaoa.
I would expect these sites to be similar to the Airport on a Southwesterly.
DT-NZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by DT-NZ »

We had some spectacular skies last evening - muggy out at the moment and overcast.

Looking west taken approx 19:40 hrs

edit reasons: adding time and location to pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lightning in NZ
The right terminology lends a hint as to the nature of the different forms.
A Vertigo Quote.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

More coastal rubbish hitting Chch today looking fine inland, can't wait to move back to Central Otago we are planning on doing this next year.. The north easterly that affects Chch ruins what would be a nice climate.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Thats why Ashburton has a better climate than ChCh.....in summer
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Andy wrote:More coastal rubbish hitting Chch today looking fine inland, can't wait to move back to Central Otago we are planning on doing this next year.. The north easterly that affects Chch ruins what would be a nice climate.
Even so, you won't find a greater sunshine total at Alex, because of the hills - the average is less than that at Christchurch (not so Cromwell however).
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Deano wrote:Thats why Ashburton has a better climate than ChCh.....in summer
Not reflected in its sunshine means however!
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

RWood wrote:Andy wrote:
More coastal rubbish hitting Chch today looking fine inland, can't wait to move back to Central Otago we are planning on doing this next year.. The north easterly that affects Chch ruins what would be a nice climate.
Yes the NE can be rather depressing at times but you have to remember that CHCH can often be the warmest city in NZ during summer with several NW days. It still is officially spring! During the middle of summer more often than not CHCH or Napier battle for the high. Yes we can get days of low cloud with an easterly or southerly breeze but we can also get many warm light NE to gusty NW days. We have to take the bad with the good so to speak. I understand the fustration but when you think about it there is no where else I would rather live weather wise personally. Extremes in Winter with snow,usually 1-2 very significant dumps to sea level (apart from last year) and temps that unofficially reached 41 degrees last summer with heaps of days over 30 degrees.I cant remember the exact details from last season but it is in an older topic somewhere.

Currently 13.2 degrees, low cloud and a cool 22km ENE. A wet start to the week in store.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Fine up at tekapo but this side of the mountains its Cloudy with a cool easterly wind but there is some blue sky starting to come through. Looks like a wet day tommorow metservice forcasting snow down to 600m for the high country that means tekapo may get a dusting.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Thick drizzle here in Halswell atm. Obviously below the radar beam is not shown on 4pm radar.
Leighton Thomas

Myself

Unread post by Myself »

Leighton Thomas wrote:
RWood wrote:Andy wrote:
Yes the NE can be rather depressing at times but you have to remember that CHCH can often be the warmest city in NZ during summer with several NW days. It still is officially spring! During the middle of summer more often than not CHCH or Napier battle for the high. Yes we can get days of low cloud with an easterly or southerly breeze but we can also get many warm light NE to gusty NW days. We have to take the bad with the good so to speak. I understand the fustration but when you think about it there is no where else I would rather live weather wise personally. Extremes in Winter with snow,usually 1-2 very significant dumps to sea level (apart from last year) and temps that unofficially reached 41 degrees last summer with heaps of days over 30 degrees.I cant remember the exact details from last season but it is in an older topic somewhere.

Currently 13.2 degrees, low cloud and a cool 22km ENE. A wet start to the week in store.

This is a pretty gushing description of Christchurch's climate!
I doubt Christchurch usually gets 1-2 "very significant dumps to sea level" on average each winter. Maybe once a decade.
"Heaps of days over 30C"? Really? Maybe about 8 days total last summer. OK, that's a fair few. But still not heaps.
The NW wind at Christchurch is really rare anyway, it's dominated almost entirely by the NE and SW. The NW makes up less than 10% of winds experienced.
dogmelon

Unread post by dogmelon »

I think that the NEer ruins living in chc too. Perhaps its the Yo-Yo like weather conditions that causes the violence here. Just a thought, but yes, when that wind isn't blowing its not that bad at all.
CHCH Weather Chaser

This is a pretty gushing description of Christchurch's climate!
I doubt Christchurch usually gets 1-2 "very significant dumps to sea level" on average each winter. Maybe once a decade.
"Heaps of days over 30C"? Really? Maybe about 8 days total last summer. OK, that's a fair few. But still not heaps.
The NW wind at Christchurch is really rare anyway, it's dominated almost entirely by the NE and SW. The NW makes up less than 10% of winds experienced.
Canterbury gets 1-2 significant dumps rather than CHCH should say. The NW more common in summer, it doesnt say everyday is NW but when we do have NW its 9 times out of 10 in the high 20's during summer months. There was 15 to 20 days over 30 degrees looking at records from the station as commented in an earlier topic in March. I have no complaints on the summer weather experienced here overall which was the general point. Spring is more debatable but the point was it is still not officially summer. People cant judge the summer by late november weather like in earlier posts. Anyways this is off topic. Moving along......Thick drizzle still falling here. 10 degrees.
Leighton Thomas

RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I've seen west-facing properties on the Cashmere/Huntsbury hills that do quite well, being cut off from the direct effects of the cold NE winds. My late parents' property was almost in that category, but had some exposure at the top end. The lower end was a much better suntrap and often felt very much warmer.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Extremes in Winter with snow,usually 1-2 very significant dumps to sea level (apart from last year)
Recent years have been quite snowy for Chch, my guess is two sea level falls ( light)every 3 years for Chch, more for the higher Hill Suburbs.

A big fall every 10 years
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Cold out here in West Melton, only 8C. Had to light the fire.
Moist drizzly conditions with a light East to SE for much of the afternoon. Got to 15.2C this morning when the sun was shining, however.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Yes we did have alot of days over 30 last year in summer actually.
And its beginning to be abit more common to!
Light-ish NE blowing through now, had some scrappy drizzle earlier, dull low cloud now, typical!! wheres these thunderstorm chances.. we are meant to be in an el nino weather pattern? hmm?
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

The NW more common in summer,
Will vary from year to year but my guess is the NW flows peak Oct/Nov with the peak in the spring westerlies, summer tends to have a more lazy pattern, more easterlies for Chch, would be interesting to see some long term stats.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Andy wrote:More coastal rubbish hitting Chch today looking fine inland, can't wait to move back to Central Otago we are planning on doing this next year.. The north easterly that affects Chch ruins what would be a nice climate.
We where in Chch shopping and it was a cold wind,saying on the radio that it was only 11C,got home to sunshine and 19C
CHCH Weather Chaser

Light rain falling here this morning. Picked up a little in last hour. The 9am radar has crapped out and I have the feeling 7am and 8am have been giving false displays as nothing shows from Timaru to North Canterbury but yet 3.8mm recorded at 8am as timaru was wettest and light rain falling here, the radar beam should pick this up as it is more than drizzle.
Leighton Thomas

RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I had a look at records from Ch'ch Gardens - 30C+ days were 7 in 2008/9 and 8 in 2007/8. The count in the warm summer of 1988/9 was only 6. If you lower the threshold to say 27C the counts are quite a lot higher. I'm not trying to bag Ch'ch - given the very restricted choice of climates in the "5 main" centres, I'd probably choose Christchurch, mainly because of its comparatively low rainfall.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

A very dry November here but a lousy weather month due to cool cloudy conditions.

yet more overcast skies today but atleast warmer 19C dewpoint 18C
CHCH Weather Chaser

RWood wrote:I had a look at records from Ch'ch Gardens - 30C+ days were 7 in 2008/9 and 8 in 2007/8. The count in the warm summer of 1988/9 was only 6. If you lower the threshold to say 27C the counts are quite a lot higher. I'm not trying to bag Ch'ch - given the very restricted choice of climates in the "5 main" centres, I'd probably choose Christchurch, mainly because of its comparatively low rainfall.
Some variation, it seems that hill or near hill suburbs tend to get slightly different temperatures to that of the airport. I just did a recount of the 30 degrees + days from Dec 08 toFeb 09 and a total of 14 days in my area and 12 at jeffs with 2 days at 29.7 degrees rounded up. Highest being 37.2 degrees.

Looking at November rainfall we have had 11.5mm with 7.5mm in the last 2 days and 6 days of measured rain. 6 days over 25 degrees with one of these days over 30degrees (30.2). A cooler, drier month.

Metservice has"Low cloud and rain, easterlies" for today but just low cloud with odd drizzle patch all morning really. Conditions not as bad as forecast.
Leighton Thomas