New warning

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tgsnoopy

New warning

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Metservice have a new warning inserted into their "Severe Convection/Thunderstorm Outlook" maps.

It reads something like "Note: Some Tornado systems such as funnel clouds, waterspouts and small land based tornadoes are possible with thunderstorms that may not be classified as severe"

The text is so small it's difficult to read.

Is that really necessary? If so, why is it in text that is difficult to read?

Surely that is something can could be better covered by text on the page not tiny text inserted into every image?

Than they could make the text bolder and more noticeable or even insert into images when there is an elevated risk.
melja
Has thanked: 0

Re: New warning

Unread post by melja »

MMM a thunderstorm that is not severe but it has a tornado with it :?: how could you not call that severe :crazy:
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I think they are saying that any thunderstorm could produce a spout. They can not always predict where and when they are going to happen. But I don't see the need for the covering clause.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

You must be keen looking up the Thunderstorms/convective outlook when it was obvious that there will be no thunderstorms over the country today. [-X
A keen man :smile:

I wanted to know what the difference between a severe thunderstorm and a non-severe thunderstorm was, but Paul Mallison didn't really give me a clear answer.
To me, a severe thunderstorm can cause a lot of damage with lightning strikes, hail and squally winds, tornadoes etc.
You can have a non-severe thunderstorm pass over, with cloud to cloud or sheet lightning, maybe a CG or two, and all you get is a shower of rain. ..and that's it, which quite often happens in Canterbury with a non-severe thunderstorm or possibly other parts of NZ.
Maybe that's what they may be refering too?

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
tgsnoopy

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:You must be keen looking up the Thunderstorms/convective outlook when it was obvious that there will be no thunderstorms over the country today. [-X
It's the 8th thing I look at in the morning. Right before the Rain Radar and just after this Weather Forum. I have a semi regular routine of about 25 items.

Heck I'll admit it, I need to know in case it's changed overnight. Of course the one I pay more attention to is the updated one I look for at about 10am. Remember I'm keen to chase, but reliant on other knowledge as I have my finger in too many pies to really learn what to look for etc.

Of course this forum is generally a much earlier warning and really gives me more time to try to ensure I can get out there.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

The 1st thing I often check is get the 2300 map off BOM before it changes and do the hire maps early before they go blank then of course go to metservice and click on the 7 day rainchart and see what the wind is going to do.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

john wrote
I wanted to know what the difference between a severe thunderstorm and a non-severe thunderstorm was,
A severe thunderstorm is any storm that produces damage. If the storm produces a spout capable of damaging winds then the thunderstorm is by definition a severe thunderstorm.
rawdon
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by rawdon »

the map should look like this I will find out why the image text addition is so small on the public website

Steve..
200911080000.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgsnoopy

Surely that should only appear when a warning is in place?
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

not quite on this topic but i have noticed MS have got rid of the rain and wind image on their warning maps to make just one severe warning for these two types. not too sure why they have done this
Andrew Massie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

tgsnoopy wrote:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:You must be keen looking up the Thunderstorms/convective outlook when it was obvious that there will be no thunderstorms over the country today. [-X
It's the 8th thing I look at in the morning. Right before the Rain Radar and just after this Weather Forum. I have a semi regular routine of about 25 items.

Heck I'll admit it, I need to know in case it's changed overnight. Of course the one I pay more attention to is the updated one I look for at about 10am. Remember I'm keen to chase, but reliant on other knowledge as I have my finger in too many pies to really learn what to look for etc.

Of course this forum is generally a much earlier warning and really gives me more time to try to ensure I can get out there.
Sooo... what's your 'look list'?!!!
tgsnoopy

Ohh, Ahead of this forum might be some e-mail servers I clear spam from, an airlines special deals, another PHPBB3 Forum I moderate, then after the mentioned stuff would be some earthquake/volcano stuff and other weather related stuff. That'd be followed with the likes of Facebook some suppliers specials of the day, saved searches etc ;) Nothing too fascinating.

Good to see the new crater cam on Raoul Island _b
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Metservice have a new warning inserted into their "Severe Convection/Thunderstorm Outlook" maps.
The note adds no value to the convective forecast at all so why have it plastered on the convective forecast on a daily basis???

The link to the Raoul Island crater is great!
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

In my view it may add no value, but it may be there as a legal disclaimer - similar to what you see on retail adverts that alerts the customer that what they find instore may not reflect what is in the mailer / advert (e.g. product size, range and colour may vary)

That way if there is a tornado or associated event without a severe warning being put up, it covers Metservice from comebacks, and for the public to be aware that these events can occur without warnings from Metservice.

Cheers,

Graeme
tgsnoopy

I still think they can provide adequate cover in the page text external to the image. In a situation where they are concerned about the possibility then by all means put it in the image, but not all the time.

Politically correct over protective techniques, sheesh.

In the old days I learnt the value of the safety of not holding onto crackers and not being cruel or destructive etc because it either hurt me or the old man would. Now you aren't allowed cause a few wrecked it for everyone else and they want to wrap us all in cotton wool.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

In my view it may add no value, but it may be there as a legal disclaimer
Actually that is in line with my thinking, its there for the benefit of the Met Service rather than the consumer. I think many people who read it won't understand it.