Where can I find Rod?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Philip Duncan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where can I find Rod?

Unread post by Philip Duncan »

A random lightning question - does anyone know how I could get hold of a lightning rod? (It's for an advertising campaign ... an agency has emailed me, nothing to do with WW).
Manukau heads obs

Re: Where can I find Rod?

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

hold a golf iron above your head in the middle of a golf course...and you will have found one :lol: :B
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Philip Duncan wrote:A random lightning question - does anyone know how I could get hold of a lightning rod? (It's for an advertising campaign ... an agency has emailed me, nothing to do with WW).
Hmm, that's a tricky one.

Lightning (Franklin) rods as such are becoming a thing of the past these days.

They found through extensive research that lightning leaders do not like leaving pointy objects and so they now have special "Air Terminals". Think something similar to a Tea pot without a handle and spout upside down on a pole.

Your best bet will be a building product recycling company or demolition company I suspect.
Philip Duncan

Unread post by Philip Duncan »

Thanks Brian! Love the advice! :-) Sounds like a scheme to try and remove one of these "dangerous" internet weather providers!?

Thanks Neill... have spoken with the agency and they are going to make a fake one. No idea what it's for... keep an eye out for something random with a lightning rod in it in in the future!!
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

sounds like something we would expect from an energy drink ad like V or something. not sure whats making me think this. maybe its from their last lot with the cones on high things.