Daily global irradiance

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
igaquo1

Daily global irradiance

Unread post by igaquo1 »

What is it? And how does it differ from sunshine hours? I seems to follow latitude more than the sunshine map does, but it doesn't follow latitude exactly suggesting another factor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeremy B

Kiwi from Auckland, living in London and watching NZ weather from afar. Occasionally back in Auckland and Tauranga.
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Daily global irradiance

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

it shows areas that get clear skies I would say (e.g wairapa, due to sheltering of the ranges)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
TonyT

Re: Daily global irradiance

Unread post by TonyT »

Daily global irradiance is the total quantity of radiant energy received at the earth's surface (in a day). In this case I think the word "global" means across all wavelengths (rather than, for example, just photosyntehtically active radiation), not "across the whole world". Its a pretty important parameter for estimating things like pasture growth, evapo-transpiration, the effects of weathering on materials , etc.

An easier word for it might be "insolation".