Winter weather predictions.

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
RWood

Re: Winter weather predictions.

Unread post by RWood »

Twizel Dave wrote:It seems very odd to me that some of the ruder people here are so ready to criticise me and my memory even though I have lived around Twizel for a long time and they haven't! How would you feel if I claimed your experiences and memories of your own area were wrong? You'd think I was being very impolite and you'd be right about that!

There were many times in the past when the weather if Twizel was ferocious. We used to put bottles of milk into the fridge to stop them freezing! That was a regular sort of thing a long time ago, many around here share the same memories, but the thing of it is that we have not had to do such things in recent years. Or are you going to claim that isn't right as well?

Good night chaps.
The issue is assertions about values - temperature readings and the like - not memories. I haven't been to Siberia, let alone Yakutsk or Oymyakon in particular. However, I know that if a resident or ex-resident claimed that temperatures there routinely dropped below -50C in winter, they would be right. If however they claimed that they regularly dropped to -80C, they would be wrong. End of story.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Will people keep on track with the title of this topic. [-X
It's WINTER WEATHER PREDICTIONS only,
Despite the author or forum member, who comes from the Twizel area and launched this topic, replys should be of a general New Zealand nature, rather than bickering about what the winter weather is like in the McKenzie country or around the Twizel area. :smile:
If not adhered too, future postings will be deleted [-X
JohnGaul
NZThS

JohnGaul
NZThS
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

that will be in reference to the original opening post:
Twizel hasn't had anything like the weather we used to get in the old days and I know that some are forecasting doom and gloom simply because they think it's overdue! By God it used to get cold around Twizel and we saw a lot of snow dumped but not for many years now has it been like that.
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Tich's pick for "mixed" temperatures in the winter months is the most likely, given recent history.